Matrix GT1000FX - My thoughts

Sean Ashe

Power User
Hey everyone :) Last week I received my Matrix GT1000FX and have waited to put a review/my thoughts so that I could spend time with it and use it thouroughly.

This past year at NAMM, I was approached by the cool people at Matrix and asked to join their artist roster. I finally placed my order for the GT10001U about a week or two ago and I was SHOCKED when it came only 3 days later. I live in Indiana, so from UK to Indiana, 3 days is pretty dang fast haha! I received the poweramp, opened the package, and immediately threw it (okay maybe placed it carefully) in my rack and then hooked it up. My first test I always do for anything Axe FX related, is go to the Mesa Mark IV sim as I'm sooo familiar with that (Previous Mark V owner here), and tried it through my cab (where I've run the Mark V through).

I was blown away! Don't get me wrong, IRs are really rad and I still do use them and record with them, but having a live cab with basically 100+ amp heads, is just too cool. The Matrix can go louder than I would probably ever need to run it, and it is very transparent in my experiences with it thus far. I was shocked that I've had to do minimal tweaking to all of my patches, it just translates really well. It also brings more versatility to my rig, so that now I don't NEED to use FRFR or direct. I just enjoy having options and the Matrix provides that for me.

I set up all my patches so that they are set for FOH (cab sims on ) and for live cabs (no cab sims). Also something exciting to me, I was finally able to take IRs of my cab/s !!!! I have some really REALLY great sounding early 80s Marshall Cabs, and I took about 10-15 IRs that just sound fantastic. I have these running for my live patches, to go to FOH so that it's consistent. Also enables me to tweak patches on my studio monitors with those IRs, and then have them translate fairly well to the live cab :) Once I can retrieve my IRs from the Axe FX (when Axe edit launches) I'll post them for everyone, I'm sure some of you guys will like them.

Overall I really enjoy the Matrix and I guess my biggest compliment to it, is that I have no complaints! I really enjoy when gear is 'plug and play' where I don't have to do too much work to get everything to work together. I plugged the Matrix in, and it works perfectly and does exactly what I want to do. I would recommend anyone who's looking for a poweramp for the Axe FX, to look into Matrix for sure! Also super nice dudes there, which is a big factor for me for gear I use.

Hope you enjoyed my review/thoughts, if this is in the wrong forum section I apologize, I was unsure of which one to put it in (amps/cabs or reviews).

Also if anyone has any specific questions to ask that I didn't cover about my experience with it, don't hesitate to ask :)

- Sean Ashe

I'm glad you like it. I use the Matrix gear and I do take for granted how good it is. I read about how people using other stuff are having to figure out how to dial in stuff, where as I find the Matrix gear petty much fire-and-forget. I just assume that it's going to work straight out of box.

Cliff's got the Axe working brilliantly, and Andy's got the Matrix gear working seamlessly with it.

I think that you're in for some great times ahead with your rig.

- Chris.

I agree with the idea of the Matrix being 'plug and play' - it's just a really transparent, crystal clear, high quality way to amplify the Axe-FX. It sits there and does its thing - end of story. Patches that sounded good anyway generally didn't suffer at all with cab sims off through a traditional 2x12 and the Matrix - I only made minimal tweaks and even these weren't especially vital.

I've been playing my Axe trough the Matrix GT1000 for three months and I completely agree with you. After getting the Matrix I sold my Marshall and my Mesa power amp. Matrix guys are awesome.

I've been playing my Axe trough the Matrix GT1000 for three months and I completely agree with you. After getting the Matrix I sold my Marshall and my Mesa power amp. Matrix guys are awesome.

Nice! I haven't ever used another poweramp (besides one time i used this peavey poweramp for a gig, it wasn't good haha, very non-transparent) with the Axe so it's hard for me to say "it's the best" but ... I'm assuming it is because of how much other people talk about tweaking their patches. The Matrix rules

It pretty much is the only way to play a axe fx live. Im a firm supporter of using it even if you are some big shot that for some reason plays gigs with perfect PA's. An FRFR just doesnt give the same OOMPH as a 4x12 and matrix power amp.

oops, I forgot to apologize in advance for confusing my fellow fractaliens. The clarification would be honesty.

I'm assuming that English is not your first language.. so we can cut some slack here.. lmao

but a guy saying "I like you" to another guy is kinda creepy and gay... lmao..

that said... your second language is a million times better than mine..
if my grandmother could hear me speak Spanish she most likely set the dogs on me.. lmao

Back
Top Bottom