Matrix GT1000FX - My Ears and back agree :o)

Dai Swoop

I have been playing guitar in UK bands for the last 30 years or so, and have always been a 100% valve purist: Valve pre and power amp as a must!!! I have tried all manner of amps over the years, Marshall, Peavey, Mesa etc… but was always happiest with a pure Marshall valve tone. I went over to a rack set up some years ago, again tried everything, but ended up with a Marshall pre amp, and Marshall power amp fitted once again. I recently purchased an Axe ULTRA FX, dubious that it could match a valve tone…. How wrong I was! Amazing piece of kit, and was using it quite happily with my Marshall EL34 50/50 power amp (power sims off) and 2 Marshall 4x12 Cabs fitted with standard GT75 Celestions, (cab sims off). However, I became aware of the MATRIX amps that everyone was talking about, and the 'claim' that they sound like a valve amp, were really small and lightweight… again I was very dubious having tried a lot of SS amps over the years, and none of them sounded any good in a guitar rig at all. I therefore dismissed the claims for a while, but curiosity got the better of me in the end so I arranged to visit MATRIX to try an amp out. Have to say, the level of service I received was quite remarkable, and a refreshing change to some of the service levels I have had from other amp manufactures over recent years. I tried out the Matrix GT100FX and was totally amazed at the well rounded valve type tone that this little lightweight amp could produce… again, I had been wrong to assume SS could not sound round and warm like a valve amp…. Very wrong indeed! Obviously I had turned the power amp sims on at this point! Needless to say, my old 14U rig, is now only a 4U and can be carried in one hand in and out of gigs (other arm free for a groupie :lol), and without the hassle and maintenance involved with a fragile valve set up. I can assure you that my live sound is EXACTLY the same as it was when it was 100% valve, and the MATRIX amp still really amazes me every night with its sound. Thank you MATRIX guys…. And if you know anyone who wants to buy a lot of old unused heavy valve gear… let me know lol
Hope this helps some of you???

(I cannot comment on using FRFR cabs as have not tried any yet, but if the power amp sims are anything to go by, I suspect FRFR cabs will sound just as awesome)

I have been playing guitar in UK bands for the last 30 years or so, and have always been a 100% valve purist: Valve pre and power amp as a must!!! I have tried all manner of amps over the years, Marshall, Peavey, Mesa etc… but was always happiest with a pure Marshall valve tone. I went over to a rack set up some years ago, again tried everything, but ended up with a Marshall pre amp, and Marshall power amp fitted once again. I recently purchased an Axe ULTRA FX, dubious that it could match a valve tone…. How wrong I was! Amazing piece of kit, and was using it quite happily with my Marshall EL34 50/50 power amp (power sims off) and 2 Marshall 4x12 Cabs fitted with standard GT75 Celestions, (cab sims off). However, I became aware of the MATRIX amps that everyone was talking about, and the 'claim' that they sound like a valve amp, were really small and lightweight… again I was very dubious having tried a lot of SS amps over the years, and none of them sounded any good in a guitar rig at all. I therefore dismissed the claims for a while, but curiosity got the better of me in the end so I arranged to visit MATRIX to try an amp out. Have to say, the level of service I received was quite remarkable, and a refreshing change to some of the service levels I have had from other amp manufactures over recent years. I tried out the Matrix GT100FX and was totally amazed at the well rounded valve type tone that this little lightweight amp could produce… again, I had been wrong to assume SS could not sound round and warm like a valve amp…. Very wrong indeed! Obviously I had turned the power amp sims on at this point! Needless to say, my old 14U rig, is now only a 4U and can be carried in one hand in and out of gigs (other arm free for a groupie :lol), and without the hassle and maintenance involved with a fragile valve set up. I can assure you that my live sound is EXACTLY the same as it was when it was 100% valve, and the MATRIX amp still really amazes me every night with its sound. Thank you MATRIX guys…. And if you know anyone who wants to buy a lot of old unused heavy valve gear… let me know lol
Hope this helps some of you???

(I cannot comment on using FRFR cabs as have not tried any yet, but if the power amp sims are anything to go by, I suspect FRFR cabs will sound just as awesome)
I went similar way as yours...Very happy with Matrix GT1000FX..
Anyway after some nice reviews about RCF, just ordered now RCFNX12SMA to check it out..Let see how this babe speaks at FRFR configuration ..Curious if it's comparable to briliant Matrix and guitar cabs sound..

Last night accidently during sound check I didn't power up my amp and cab...and the sound (on huge PA and great stage monitors) was so excellent,that I didn't want to turn on anything else..Even more excited now about RCF solution..
Here is a link to the picture of this gig :) Jacek Polak | Facebook

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom