Matrix GT1000FX channel drop out issue.

Just got off the phone with Andy Hunt (designer/owner) Matrix Amplification USA. Turns out the power supply failed. Sending it back for a new unit.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like he will do everything in his power to look after you. Some will say manufacturers can play hard-ball with suppliers to make customers' lives better. Reality is that supply chain is almost impossible to control just now. Getting anything made at all can be a challenge. Unfortunately controlling the defect rate is kind of secondary to that. I feel Andy's pain, and I'm probably working with much bigger production volumes than he is for my job. Like so many things, looks easy until you try to do it. Getting stuff made, and sourcing the parts you are going to make it from has become particularly difficult in the last couple of years.

Liam

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like he will do everything in his power to look after you. Some will say manufacturers can play hard-ball with suppliers to make customers' lives better. Reality is that supply chain is almost impossible to control just now. Getting anything made at all can be a challenge. Unfortunately controlling the defect rate is kind of secondary to that. I feel Andy's pain, and I'm probably working with much bigger production volumes than he is for my job. Like so many things, looks easy until you try to do it. Getting stuff made, and sourcing the parts you are going to make it from has become particularly difficult in the last couple of years.

Liam
Yeah...the "just in time" and "point of use" bullshit "lean" manufacturing has sure come back to bite people in the ass.

Last edited:
They can control it by setting standards and switching out suppliers who can't comply, or by paying more for higher quality components.
Sure.. and that is why they warranty their end product. If too many failures of specific parts occur a vendor will try to switch out suppliers, but that's not an overnight process! Paying more for higher quality products will increase consumer pricing.

Sure.. and that is why they warranty their end product. If too many failures of specific parts occur a vendor will try to switch out suppliers, but that's not an overnight process! Paying more for higher quality products will increase consumer pricing.
sure - was just responding to the idea that "no vendor can control the quality of 3rd party parts included in their builds" - they definitely have tools at their disposal to manage quality of 3rd party components, and yes, higher quality components that last longer, whether 3rd party or built in house, tend to cost more to purchase/produce, and therefore carry higher consumer pricing. As for warranty, well, warranties are time limited, and, though I don't have solid stats to present, a lifetime of electronics purchases gives me the strong belief that the majority of unprovoked component failures tend to occur after even extended warranties have ended (not to be confused with the often heard opinion that companies practice planned obsolescence which I do not believe occurs with vendors of quality products like Matrix one of which I am proud to own (no channel issues by the way going on 10 years - 1u gt1000fx)) - hence the reason why companies love to sell extended warranties - it's almost all gravy.

sure - was just responding to the idea that "no vendor can control the quality of 3rd party parts included in their builds" - they definitely have tools at their disposal to manage quality of 3rd party components, and yes, higher quality components that last longer, whether 3rd party or built in house, tend to cost more to purchase/produce, and therefore carry higher consumer pricing. As for warranty, well, warranties are time limited, and, though I don't have solid stats to present, a lifetime of electronics purchases gives me the strong belief that the majority of unprovoked component failures tend to occur after even extended warranties have ended (not to be confused with the often heard opinion that companies practice planned obsolescence which I do not believe occurs with vendors of quality products like Matrix one of which I am proud to own (no channel issues by the way going on 10 years - 1u gt1000fx)) - hence the reason why companies love to sell extended warranties - it's almost all gravy.
I was perhaps overly-broad in my assertion that "no vendor can control the quality of 3rd party parts included in their builds". In retrospect, I should have stated that in spite of QA, sourcing, etc... PARTS DO FAIL, thru no fault of the vendor!
Glad Matrix is working thru the challenges! :)

Andy really is a great guy. When I was looking into buying mine, I emailed them with some questions, and he called me up out of nowhere and took care of all of my concerns, and then some. Good luck with your unit!

Not a good experience for sure, Andy is a legend, I've had a couple of Matrix Amps for years with no issues he will make it right.
Yes, they always look after their customers. I have sent my GT1000 in on a couple of occasions down the years, once when the topswitch needed replacement and on the other occasion, a couple of the Mosfets needed changing. my amp gets heavy use week after week, and on the whole, it’s been great, and needed a lot less attention than any of the tube amps I owned before it.

Last edited:
Agree with most everyone here. Had some minor concerns with two of my GT1000's . Andy called me direct and did whatever was necessary to make things right... over the top customer support.

Liam
Andy is a really cool guy and made no issues about helping me source the problem over the phone. He knows every part in that amp right down to the writing on the pieces. Very patient as he waited for me to open up the top plate of the unit and then told me exactly what to look for and where to find it. He determined that the power supply had failed and simply setup a return label for me to ship the unit to him.

Hi guys I think I had the same issue with my Matrix GT1000FX and I have solved/fixed it. So basically B channel on the head started to drop out or stop working completely. The other A channel was playing fine at any time. Since I have Matrix set on the stereo output on the 2x8 ohm connected to 4x12 MESA road-king cab I thought it maybe some problem with speaker cable. The B channel would give sometimes a crackling sound like its a cable fault. I have checked the speakon cables, re solder them and it still wouldn't fix it. I've noticed that sometimes when I started playing my guitar harder Channel B would pop back in normal playing. It gave me an idea that it could possibly be something with other connectors the ones coming out of the fractal or the ones going into the Matrix AMP. Basically, I would set my axe fx pre-set output at higher DB level and then with higher output channel B would work just fine. Shocker ! First I've tried to switch cables jacks coming out of the axe fx but it wasn't it. Then I switched cables going into the input in matrix and it suddenly fixed the channel B drop out. With that being said I have grabbed Connector Cleaner and I cleaned the the back connectors of the Matrix amp. It solved the issue completely. Absolute magic. Honestly, I was loosing my hair cause of this but sometimes the simplest solution is the answer. By the way those jacks who were in the input of the Matrix amp were there forever. I have never touched them since I connected them first time. Mind that those connectors at the back are the combo jack/XLR inputs and maybe cause of the more air flow through the holes ,the dust and moisture can easily pile up after the while. I wanted to upload the video of the issue but since I'm a noobie here this will have to wait. I hope this will help whoever have the same issue. Have a great day folks ♥

Back
Top Bottom