Matrix GT1000FX Amp failure and Customer Support

Update:

Matrix finally refunded my money after going through PayPal. I don’t know why they wouldn’t deal with me directly and chose to ignore me for almost two months. Purchase anything from them with caution.
Well glad to hear you at least got your money back. My guess is Paypal gave them no choice. No way will I ever buy a product from them after this. Bottom line is it's just an amp...it's not magic. Far too many reputable quality amp manufacturers out there to have to deal with these kind of shenanigans. Thanks for keeping us posted

Well glad to hear you at least got your money back. My guess is Paypal gave them no choice. No way will I ever buy a product from them after this. Bottom line is it's just an amp...it's not magic. Far too many reputable quality amp manufacturers out there to have to deal with these kind of shenanigans. Thanks for keeping us posted
Totally agree. After I got it I realized there is really nothing special about it. What appealed to me was it‘s one space and light. I got caught up in the internet hype that it’s the perfect choice for the Axe. I’m going with Seymour Duncan from Sweetwater. At least I know they’re supportive if anything goes awry.

I’ve been using the Powerstage 700 for like 2 years now. I regretted it because the design of the Duncan is kind of stupid. 1.5 rack units instead of just making it 2. If you care about putting stuff in a rack don’t bother. These are made for people using pedalboard rigs with preamp pedals.

Sounds great but AFAIK it’s just some class D module in a box.

I’ve been using the Powerstage 700 for like 2 years now. I regretted it because the design of the Duncan is kind of stupid. 1.5 rack units instead of just making it 2. If you care about putting stuff in a rack don’t bother. These are made for people using pedalboard rigs with preamp pedals.

Sounds great but AFAIK it’s just some class D module in a box.
I was actually going with the 170 model. Sometimes I need a cabinet onstage and sometimes not. I’d rather keep it out of my rack so it seems the perfect solution. I’ll just keep it in my bag until I need it.

My 800 was an older unit also, it truly shit the bed and blew the speakers in my cabs while it was at it. All I got from matrix was send it halfway around the world at my expense, or keep the shited unit as a reminder, as no one here would work on matrix gear (matrix will not offer any scheme or anything), I keep the defunct power amp as a reminder to never buy from that company, or any other the does not have service here in Australia.
Just for a little balance.......I've had an 800 for over 5 years...zero problems.....ran it as a bass amp as well.

Had a 1000 for over 3 years zero problems.

Sorry to hear of your problems, I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Not sure why you waited for a refund from PayPal? If you pay using PayPal a refund thru PayPal IS the only option. Am I understanding you wanted another refund source besides PayPal? People usually complain about PayPal for this and many reasons. It that's why it took 2 months the then that wouldn't really be fair to Matrix. Any retailer has to refund the exact payment type. So maybe I don't understand why you didn't involve PayPal from the beginning? They file a dispute and the seller has to respond and they either fight it or refund the money. Did you file a dispute and were waiting for the refund all this time? Pardon my confusion

Not sure why you waited for a refund from PayPal? If you pay using PayPal a refund thru PayPal IS the only option. Am I understanding you wanted another refund source besides PayPal? People usually complain about PayPal for this and many reasons. It that's why it took 2 months the then that wouldn't really be fair to Matrix. Any retailer has to refund the exact payment type. So maybe I don't understand why you didn't involve PayPal from the beginning? They file a dispute and the seller has to respond and they either fight it or refund the money. Did you file a dispute and were waiting for the refund all this time? Pardon my confusion
The amp broke down not long after I bought it. I returned it to be fixed since it has a 2 year warranty. I was patient and waited to hear back on the status of it as I’m not one to email them everyday and being a bother. Two weeks later, I receive an email from Matrix saying that the ticket I opened has been closed. It appears to be an automatic form email but I’m not sure. I receive the same exact email again the next day. I respond to the email saying I don’t know what this means and ask if my amp has been fixed. I receive a reply from John saying he’ll check on it. A couple days go by and I hear nothing. I ask again a week later if he can check on it and still nothing. I get Andy’s email and ask what’s going on with my amp. He responds that he’ll look at it the next day if he gets time. Over 3 weeks have passed at this point. At this point I’m fed up about it and ask for a refund if they’re not going to fix it because I play a lot of live shows and need it. I’m using a JBL Eon in the meantime which kind of sucks. No response. A gave it another week or two then go Through PayPal. They contact Matrix to deal with me directly and no response. I escalated the claim through PayPal a week later for them to force the issue. That’s when I got my refund. I gave them every chance to deal with me and they chose to go dark. This is contrary to everything I’ve read about them and their customer service over the years. I don’t know what happened to them. Sorry for the novel but hope this clears things up to anyone reading.

Just for a little balance.......I've had an 800 for over 5 years...zero problems.....ran it as a bass amp as well.

Had a 1000 for over 3 years zero problems.

Sorry to hear of your problems, I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.
I'm with you - I have had a 1000 for over 8 years now and use it every day with zero issues - and sounds great...

The amp broke down not long after I bought it. I returned it to be fixed since it has a 2 year warranty. I was patient and waited to hear back on the status of it as I’m not one to email them everyday and being a bother. Two weeks later, I receive an email from Matrix saying that the ticket I opened has been closed. It appears to be an automatic form email but I’m not sure. I receive the same exact email again the next day. I respond to the email saying I don’t know what this means and ask if my amp has been fixed. I receive a reply from John saying he’ll check on it. A couple days go by and I hear nothing. I ask again a week later if he can check on it and still nothing. I get Andy’s email and ask what’s going on with my amp. He responds that he’ll look at it the next day if he gets time. Over 3 weeks have passed at this point. At this point I’m fed up about it and ask for a refund if they’re not going to fix it because I play a lot of live shows and need it. I’m using a JBL Eon in the meantime which kind of sucks. No response. A gave it another week or two then go Through PayPal. They contact Matrix to deal with me directly and no response. I escalated the claim through PayPal a week later for them to force the issue. That’s when I got my refund. I gave them every chance to deal with me and they chose to go dark. This is contrary to everything I’ve read about them and their customer service over the years. I don’t know what happened to them. Sorry for the novel but hope this clears things up to anyone reading.
I remember reading all this and it definitely sounds like you gave them every chance to make good on the amp, which is saying alot after a dependability issue would always be in the back of my mind after all of this. I didnt understand the part where you mentioned they didnt want to deal with you directly? So you asked for a refund and they said no? Then paypal was contacted by you and they refunded the money thru paypal? If that's the case everyone who hates PayPal should appreciate there effort and success getting your money refunded. Like it or not that's what PayPal is good for. I had a similar issue. Who knows what's going on with matrix, supply issues, labor.. who knows. Maybe they are not a sustainable company. Glad you got your $ money back. At the end if the day that's a win. I tried the ps170 before I got the matrix. Plenty of power, I wasn't impressed with the sound , however I did not try to adjust anything, for 400 bucks plus tax I figured I'd find something else and maybe add a few hundred more. GL with your end resolve

Have used my 1000 1u for many years without any issue. Recently it started turning off for no particular reason. Not doubting or negating the OP’s experience but so far communications with Matrix have been very helpful and prompt. After walking through some things with them I sent it in recently and we’ll see what happens.

After I got it I realized there is really nothing special about it. What appealed to me was it‘s one space and light.
To be fair, that's a lot of what's special about them.

They do sound good.

I've been using my second hand GT800FX that I got about 7-8 years ago with no issues.

It's too bad that people are having issues and then being further impacted by poor (or no) support...

When I bought my Matrix GT (2011-12ish), they seemed to be roaring along and their was a lot of interest but I don't hear much lately and I wonder if the company is struggling. Kind of suprizes me that there is not more of a boon in 1U SS amps for guitar modellers going on now and in the last few years given all the interest in modelling. There's really not a whole lot of choice out there in that form factor and designed toward guitar modelling.

I think most people buy FRFR that are already powered, rather than doing what some of us including me do which is get a poweramp so you can use your regular guitar cabs you have as well as FRFR.

When I bought my Matrix GT (2011-12ish), they seemed to be roaring along and their was a lot of interest but I don't hear much lately and I wonder if the company is struggling. Kind of suprizes me that there is not more of a boon in 1U SS amps for guitar modellers going on now and in the last few years given all the interest in modelling. There's really not a whole lot of choice out there in that form factor and designed toward guitar modelling.
I think that’s because of what the poster above me said they’re buying powered monitors and I’m also seeing more and more players wearing in ears and don’t use monitors onstage. My band is still using onstage speakers but I’ve filled in for other bands that aren’t using any. I think the demand just isn’t there.
To be fair, that's a lot of what's special about them.
I was speaking more on the sound. It does sound good but I don’t think there’s anything that special about them.

Seems to me the split into two companies (UK for PA amps and US for guitar power amps) has done them no good...both companies running on 50% instead of one company on 100%

It would be interesting to see if the UK US product fails at the same rate. The reputation of the company was built on the UK product. I have a UK GT1000fx and it too failed big. They pretty much replaced the guts but even though the product was out of warranty they only charged me £65 including post and had it back in 10 days. This was in the UK before the split.

That's a bummer man. I was going to buy a Matrix a few months ago but I got a Fryette PS2 instead. It's been totally solid & it sounds amazing.

Not sure but I think the UK side of the company is OK. The responses I have gotten from them are timely and on more of a corporate oriented level.
Has anybody been able to buy anything from them since the shift to the States? I tried- no stock and no dates for any stock either. I gave up.
But it's just crap reading about this sort of experience ...
I've gone down the Redsound route - delivery next week but at least I have MASSIVE confidence in G66 whatever the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom