Matrix GT1000FX - a personal review

DBraz

Firstly, this is a personal review and I have no affiliation with any of the manufacturers mentioned.

As a recent convert to the world of AXE FX, and owner of an Axe FX 2, choosing an amplifier was always going to be a difficult choice.

A bit about me... I have been playing electric guitar for over 25 years, have gigged since I was 14yrs old, and have grown up worshiping the valve and all the fine nuances that are provided by a sweet amplifier. The way it reacts to your inputs, the musically interactive experience when it heats up, the harmonics and dynamics. I have owned everything from Marshalls, Mesa’s (amp heads and full rack rigs), VHT’s (amp heads and rack set-ups), Bognor’s and other known names.
It took a lot to convert me to the AXE FX, having been one of the one’s that cited it’s lack of bottles as a dynamic limitation. With the AXE FX 2 – and Version 10 firmware – I was converted. It is that good.
But somehow a big part of me still wanted to know that the amplification stage was going to be valve driven. I couldn’t conceive that a solid state amplifier could provide what I needed, and to be honest I was somewhat uncooperative in being converted. I have tried solid state amplification sections and always found them to be sterile, lacking warmth, and seriously struggling when it came to dynamic inputs and musicality. Without being too much of a snob I saw them as a cheap alternative to the real thing. Because of this Matrix wasn’t on my radar to start with. I continued with big heavy valve amps and cabinets.

Then I started to read a few reviews and thought I had better check out the new GT1000FX myself before definitively writing it off.

Boy oh boy was I wrong with my preconceived bias.

You know how if you are playing a few sets and you don’t quite find the perfect sound until the second set once your amp warms through and starts singing? That is simply not the case with the Matrix. It sounds hot from the moment you turn it on. Ever wondered why your AXE FX 2 doesn’t quite sound as you thought should – or remember from personal experience - with the amplifier simulation switched on? Not quite feeling what others do on the forums when they rave about the authenticity of the presets? With the GT1000FX that isn’t an issue. It is completely faithful – and I have experience of the originals. I can get the big heavy thundering chords in addition to faithfully dynamic cleans. To be honest the Matrix has proven to be the ideal compliment to the AXE 2. I finally feel completely converted and settled, and whilst I still love the look of a big old amp set-up (cosmetically) I now have an authentic selection of boutique amps instantly available at a push of a button. With a few tweaks to the AXE I can completely alter the power amp dynamics to a point I felt I never could when using it with boutique valve power amps.

Do you get the same dynamic inputs as a top line valve power amp when you roll off the volume and pick gently and then whack in a big chord? YES! Can I get the same sound EVERY single time I switch on my set-up? Instantly? CHECK. Powerful enough? HELL YEAH! You won’t struggle to be heard that’s for sure.

Another nice touch is the lighting inside the Matrix that glows a heart warming orange in homage, no doubt, to those used to seeing glowing bottles.
Rock music is my first love, although I have played everything from that to Acid Jazz and Wedding sets over the years. Versatility is important to me. But the sound I get, and the way I react to it as a musician, is even more important.
The AXE FX 2 is a quite superb bit of kit, as many have alluded to – including the top professionals. It is surreally good. But to not take advantage of everything it offers by using a power amp that colours the sound it represents is, to a point, akin to only getting half way to heaven.

If you, like me, have your doubts please don’t. This is the real deal.

Oh, and it’s a fair bit lighter too and is quiet as a mouse!

A big thank you to Matt Button at Matrix and Sussi at G66 for their fantastic service and knowledge in their respective fields. Matt, in particular was stellar in convincing me that Matrix were the way to go – and the reasons why so many of today’s stars are heaping them with so much praise.

Great review! Vintage tube guy here and I agree with your assessment 100%

Ok cool, any views on which you prefer for which situation ?

Both are great for different reasons.
FRFR is great for getting that "recorded" sound and doesn't sound a million miles away from what you'd hear from the headphones. Once dialled in (and that takes some time and patience). But I still like the comfort of regular cabs playing live in smaller venues. In larger venues I would anticipate this would swing the other way given how you can get exactly the same sound from the FRFR as an output going into a house P.A. FRFR ultimately is more flexible.

The best thing I can suggest is to give FRFR a try and see what you think?

totally agree with the review (got a GM50, same dynamic behavior as the GT1000).
I'm more pleased with the full FRFR way: so much flexible and great sounding.

Sometimes I just like looking at my 1000 and axe and don't play it bc I know already its gonna sound perfect. I hated using my tube amp wondering if it would sound the same as the day before. Probably bc I had to play it loud for it to sound good then tried to adjust it bc my hearing was deafened.

Both are great for different reasons.
FRFR is great for getting that "recorded" sound and doesn't sound a million miles away from what you'd hear from the headphones. Once dialled in (and that takes some time and patience). But I still like the comfort of regular cabs playing live in smaller venues. In larger venues I would anticipate this would swing the other way given how you can get exactly the same sound from the FRFR as an output going into a house P.A. FRFR ultimately is more flexible.

The best thing I can suggest is to give FRFR a try and see what you think?

Thanks, I was wondering what you thought 8)

Expecting my GT1000FX and NL212 today! Can't wait to try it out. Did you find turning cab sims off worked the best on factory presets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like my GT1000FX it sounds fake, I'm saving up for the mesa boogie Simul Class 2:90 and I pray to god I get that thick and chunky and aggressive tight response from the Mesa Boogie. the Matrix does cleans and blues and basic rock really well but it is not capable of the thick and chunky and aggressive tight response of a tube amp.

The Matrix puts out exactly what you put into it. No more, no less.
If you do not have the thick and chunky and aggressive tight response, then you need to adjust your presets.

I don't like my GT1000FX it sounds fake, I'm saving up for the mesa boogie Simul Class 2:90 and I pray to god I get that thick and chunky and aggressive tight response from the Mesa Boogie. the Matrix does cleans and blues and basic rock really well but it is not capable of the thick and chunky and aggressive tight response of a tube amp.

Is there a particular reason you're reviving dead threads simply to whine? How about giving the community some idea of what you are aiming for and your rig setup in particular so we can help?

Here, I'll start the ball rolling.

What connection have you got from the Axe Fx to the amp and more importantly what connection from amp to cab? One cable or two? You mentioned a Mesa 2x12 previously? Mono or stereo and what impedance? What setting on the amp have you got? Stereo, Parallel or Bridged? With patches, how high is your noise gate (as you mentioned notes cutting off and no sustain)? What is you setting in the speaker resonance page (amp block speaker tab). Have you added depth or dynamic depth or dynamic presence?

Help us to help you.

Sounds very strange, I have super nice higain with Matrix GM50 to my 2x12 Cab (V30+G12H-75)
I have A/B with my 5150 poweramp and I prefer the Matrix.

Is there a particular reason you're reviving dead threads simply to whine? How about giving the community some idea of what you are aiming for and your rig setup in particular so we can help?

Here, I'll start the ball rolling.

What connection have you got from the Axe Fx to the amp and more importantly what connection from amp to cab? One cable or two? You mentioned a Mesa 2x12 previously? Mono or stereo and what impedance? What setting on the amp have you got? Stereo, Parallel or Bridged? With patches, how high is your noise gate (as you mentioned notes cutting off and no sustain)? What is you setting in the speaker resonance page (amp block speaker tab). Have you added depth or dynamic depth or dynamic presence?

Help us to help you.

thanks for the help.
instrument cable going to input A (Matrix) to output 1 (Axe FX) Left slot
speaker cable from Matrix to cab is in output A 8 ohms
Matrix is switched to stereo position.
noise gate threshold is set at -39.2 db ration is 6.07

thanks for the help.
instrument cable going to input A (Matrix) to output 1 (Axe FX) Left slot
speaker cable from Matrix to cab is in output A 8 ohms
Matrix is switched to stereo position.
noise gate threshold is set at -39.2 db ration is 6.07

That's a super super agressive noise gate. It's a miracle that you even manage to get notes through?

Back
Top Bottom