Matrix GT1000FX - a personal review

its so heartbreaking that so many people are happy getting a good tone from their Matrix and I cant get the tone I'm looking for with mine. If I get a VHT 2/90/2 or a Mesa Boogie 2:90 will I have the same issues that I'm having with the Matrix?
my tone doesn't sound like an authentic tube amp tone, it sounds like I'm playing through a line 6 spider modeling amp.
I want my pinch harmonics on the first 3 strings to be thick and saturated not anemic and dry.
could a tube power amp such as the VHT or Mesa Boogie be my answer? or is the Matrix just as capable as a tube power amp and I just don't know what I'm doing?

its so heartbreaking that so many people are happy getting a good tone from their Matrix and I cant get the tone I'm looking for with mine. If I get a VHT 2/90/2 or a Mesa Boogie 2:90 will I have the same issues that I'm having with the Matrix?
my tone doesn't sound like an authentic tube amp tone, it sounds like I'm playing through a line 6 spider modeling amp.
I want my pinch harmonics on the first 3 strings to be thick and saturated not anemic and dry.
could a tube power amp such as the VHT or Mesa Boogie be my answer? or is the Matrix just as capable as a tube power amp and I just don't know what I'm doing?

Maybe meet another Axe-Fx user nearby you to help find the issue?

What kind of speaker cab are you using? If you've got an Axe-Fx and Matrix PA, your "missing variable" is probably somewhere else in the chain.

thanks for the help.
instrument cable going to input A (Matrix) to output 1 (Axe FX) Left slot
speaker cable from Matrix to cab is in output A 8 ohms
Matrix is switched to stereo position.
noise gate threshold is set at -39.2 db ration is 6.07

So I'd suggest that maybe the noise gate could be compounding any issue. Remember you have an additional gate that be placed after the amp block. The input gate will also be affected by your input signal ratio which is set in the I/O menu. Take a look at the Wiki on the Noise gate for some tips. It may be a case of lessening the Input and adding the other gate to help with the signal going in to the Axe Fx. https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Noise_and_noise_gate

Another thing to try would be simply to add a cab block into the chain and then listen through headphones. Does the sound exhibit the same problems? Setting a patch up for a cab is slightly different to setting one up for headphones so there should be a little difference but if the weakness of tone is still there somewhat, you'll at least have an idea that it's a programming/setting issue rather than a problem with the amp itself.

Another useful thing may be to post a patch and see if there is anything glaringly obvious to the community.

thanks for the help.
instrument cable going to input A (Matrix) to output 1 (Axe FX) Left slot
speaker cable from Matrix to cab is in output A 8 ohms
Matrix is switched to stereo position.
noise gate threshold is set at -39.2 db ration is 6.07

yeah lol! I'm using the ENGL Savage 120 with the gain cranked as far as it can go lol!

I think that gate is too extreme also. I usually use an OD drive, and then a high gain amp like a 5150, so I use a TON of gain and my gate is no where near that high. I also use high output Duncans like the Black Winter and Nazgul. I think I use around -70db to -60db on the threshold, and about 2-3 on the ratio. Low attack and medium release. I only use the input gate and no others. My sound is reasonably quiet.I get silence between palm mutes.

I am also curious why you only use 1 input on the Matrix, but have it set to stereo. If you are only using 1 signal into it and 1 cab, you should run it in bridged mono mode I think. That is how I run mine.

I also think the Angle Severe, while very tight, is also one of the thinner high gain amps. It it tight and percussive, and not really what I would call thick and chunky. You might try cranking the depth, or put a low pass filter after the amp to boost the low end. I find that I have to boost the lows a lot more when using my Matrix/cab vs. using the cab block into the computer for recording. I am not sure why, but a large smile curve before the actual poweramp/cab helps a lot when trying to make the Axe sound comparable to one of my tube amps.

One last thing also, using the gain cranked on that model is A LOT of gain. Most would tell you to turn the gain down, but I understand, lol. I think you are looking for more saturation, not gain, so I would recommend you turn the gain down some, and then turn on a Drive OD in front of the amp, or an EQ if you are good at dialing in EQs. Use an OD808 with the gain on 0, level close to Max, and tone wherever you like for pick attack. This will add more of that percussive pick attack without needing piles of gain from the amp.

Stereo mode on the amp simply splits the amp into two mono blocks so he is correct. It's just running one half of the amp so it is mono in effect. Bridged is of course also mono but only limited to 8 ohms and above and if unsure of the power of the amp vs the power rating of the cab, it's always best to side with caution and just run one channel.

Stereo mode on the amp simply splits the amp into two mono blocks so he is correct. It's just running one half of the amp so it is mono in effect. Bridged is of course also mono but only limited to 8 ohms and above and if unsure of the power of the amp vs the power rating of the cab, it's always best to side with caution and just run one channel.

I though maybe since he was getting a weak sound, maybe he needed more power :)

That is interesting about the 8 ohm minimum on bridged mode. I dont think I ever realized that. The cab I typically use is 4 or 16 ohms. I am not sure which I use it on. I think 16 ohms. However, I got a new speaker cable today, and going to start experimenting with using 2 different 212 cabs at the same time. One is 8 ohms, and the other is 4 or 16, so I could never do that with my tube amps. :)

Firstly, this is a personal review and I have no affiliation with any of the manufacturers mentioned.

As a recent convert to the world of AXE FX, and owner of an Axe FX 2, choosing an amplifier was always going to be a difficult choice.

A bit about me... I have been playing electric guitar for over 25 years, have gigged since I was 14yrs old, and have grown up worshiping the valve and all the fine nuances that are provided by a sweet amplifier. The way it reacts to your inputs, the musically interactive experience when it heats up, the harmonics and dynamics. I have owned everything from Marshalls, Mesa’s (amp heads and full rack rigs), VHT’s (amp heads and rack set-ups), Bognor’s and other known names.
It took a lot to convert me to the AXE FX, having been one of the one’s that cited it’s lack of bottles as a dynamic limitation. With the AXE FX 2 – and Version 10 firmware – I was converted. It is that good.
But somehow a big part of me still wanted to know that the amplification stage was going to be valve driven. I couldn’t conceive that a solid state amplifier could provide what I needed, and to be honest I was somewhat uncooperative in being converted. I have tried solid state amplification sections and always found them to be sterile, lacking warmth, and seriously struggling when it came to dynamic inputs and musicality. Without being too much of a snob I saw them as a cheap alternative to the real thing. Because of this Matrix wasn’t on my radar to start with. I continued with big heavy valve amps and cabinets.

Then I started to read a few reviews and thought I had better check out the new GT1000FX myself before definitively writing it off.

Boy oh boy was I wrong with my preconceived bias.

You know how if you are playing a few sets and you don’t quite find the perfect sound until the second set once your amp warms through and starts singing? That is simply not the case with the Matrix. It sounds hot from the moment you turn it on. Ever wondered why your AXE FX 2 doesn’t quite sound as you thought should – or remember from personal experience - with the amplifier simulation switched on? Not quite feeling what others do on the forums when they rave about the authenticity of the presets? With the GT1000FX that isn’t an issue. It is completely faithful – and I have experience of the originals. I can get the big heavy thundering chords in addition to faithfully dynamic cleans. To be honest the Matrix has proven to be the ideal compliment to the AXE 2. I finally feel completely converted and settled, and whilst I still love the look of a big old amp set-up (cosmetically) I now have an authentic selection of boutique amps instantly available at a push of a button. With a few tweaks to the AXE I can completely alter the power amp dynamics to a point I felt I never could when using it with boutique valve power amps.

Do you get the same dynamic inputs as a top line valve power amp when you roll off the volume and pick gently and then whack in a big chord? YES! Can I get the same sound EVERY single time I switch on my set-up? Instantly? CHECK. Powerful enough? HELL YEAH! You won’t struggle to be heard that’s for sure.

Another nice touch is the lighting inside the Matrix that glows a heart warming orange in homage, no doubt, to those used to seeing glowing bottles.
Rock music is my first love, although I have played everything from that to Acid Jazz and Wedding sets over the years. Versatility is important to me. But the sound I get, and the way I react to it as a musician, is even more important.
The AXE FX 2 is a quite superb bit of kit, as many have alluded to – including the top professionals. It is surreally good. But to not take advantage of everything it offers by using a power amp that colours the sound it represents is, to a point, akin to only getting half way to heaven.

If you, like me, have your doubts please don’t. This is the real deal.

Oh, and it’s a fair bit lighter too and is quiet as a mouse!

A big thank you to Matt Button at Matrix and Sussi at G66 for their fantastic service and knowledge in their respective fields. Matt, in particular was stellar in convincing me that Matrix were the way to go – and the reasons why so many of today’s stars are heaping them with so much praise.

Which cab do you use FRFR?

Hi.

I'm a new at FRACTAL and MATRIX and I need help.

I always played with tube amps, but one day I came across FRACTAL and started changing my setup.

Today I have to use: Fractal AX8 + Matrix GT1000FX + Rectifier® Cabinets 2X12 straight horizontal cabinet (not stereo).

What would be the best way to allocate all these equipment?

I will be very grateful for the answers.

Today I have to use: Fractal AX8 + Matrix GT1000FX + Rectifier® Cabinets 2X12 straight horizontal cabinet (not stereo).

What would be the best way to allocate all these equipment?

I will be very grateful for the answers.
I'm not sure what you mean by "allocate."

You might have better luck starting a new thread to ask your question, instead of this old thread that hasn't had any activity in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom