Matrix GT1000FX 2U Exploded

Moshermax9

So I was setting up for band practice getting ready to play and hooking up gear like usual. I had unhooked my axe from my power amp to use with mics a couple days prior. I hooked my axe fx into channel A and when I started to turn up the volume on channel A sparks came from the power amp and the smell of burning electronics.Now the power amp won't make any sounds, you can see the LEDS inside are on and it is staying on protection mode. Has anyone else experienced this before? I have everything hooked into my power conditioner and nothing else shorted out. What could have caused this??

I don't have that product, but just hazarding a guess... mic signals are typically much lower than line level signals. Is there a switch in the amp to choose mic or line level input? If you left it on mic and applied a line level input, it could be a major signal overload that some component in the amp wasn't prepared to handle.

I feel sorry to hear that, mate. Are you sure you made the right connections?

If you have a multimeter, attach the speaker cable to the cab and measure the resistence on the other end (where you'd connect to power amp). Check if it's shorted. The DC resistence is normally a little less than nomimal cab impedance.

Well let me be more specific I just used my audio interface to get the audio to my power amp. And it was at a line level. Also as far as connections the set up has been used for almost a year and a half and no problems

Well let me be more specific I just used my audio interface to get the audio to my power amp. And it was at a line level. Also as far as connections the set up has been used for almost a year and a half and no problems

Connections between power amp and cabinet/speaker use to be the critical ones in this case. Could be a short in the speaker or an improper connection (different grounds, etc). But you didn't mention about the speaker connection. Weren't you using it?

As far as speaker connection I have those locking blue connectors I cant remember the name hooked into my Madison 4x12 on the 8ohm side. And the power amp was set to stereo

Matrix has a company is very responsive for tech support… I had issues with output jacks failing on the 1/4", however the neutrik connectors work as a good workaround. As previously mentioned, contact matrix.

Do you have Neutrik connectors on the speaker end of the speaker cables. I played a busy multi band event one time and didn't get the speaker cable completely plugged into the cabinet which in turn shorted out that side of my Mesa 2/90. 4 x 6L6 tubes to the trash bin. Lesson learned.

Difficult to say diagnosing over the internet. Were you using just one cable or two cables to connect to the cab? Component failure does happen but is fairly rare. more common causes are shorting of the tip and sleeve on the cable or via linking the outputs together. Contact us on support and we'll get you booked in for repair. It's not too much (hopefully) cost wise and certainly a lot cheaper than a new amp. Hopefully we can have you up and running quickly.

If anything was wrong with the connections, it should have triggered protection circuits. My guess would be a failed component, or something got sucked into the front and shorted an internal component.

Back
Top Bottom