Matrix GT1000/Q12 vs Atomic CLR Active Cab Comparison

Thanks for the report Jim!

I look forward to your A/B comparison between the Matrix and CLR. I don't have either setup and I am on the fence about both.

@csgband, I don't think you're going to miss it. But again, that's assuming you are happy with FRFR in the first place. One piece of advice is to get the cab off the ground. I set mine on my utility case which is about 18 inches high and it was perfect. I would imagine head-height on a pole might be better in a larger room, but I was standing right in front of my rig and didn't want to use the CLR as an in-ear monitor.

Thanks for the report Jim!

I look forward to your A/B comparison between the Matrix and CLR. I don't have either setup and I am on the fence about both.

I wish there was a way to record native analog guitar signals. I could have you send me a few of your patches and a recording of you playing and run them through each amp for you.

Oh, and regarding the Matrix and CLR, I'll say one thing about where I think both of the companies blew it. On a cab, the controls should have been placed on one side. There's probably a lot of good reasons not to do it, but it's a real pain-in-the-ass to tweak the setup (especially with the CLR because you're dealing with both input gain and master) when your cab is backed up against the wall in a club. Once it's in position, you don't have a prayer of seeing the clip LEDs.

Reactions: LVC
guitarjim
Thanks for report. I'm new getting into this and will be trying out stuff. I'm on list for a CLR active wedge and have Matrix amp on its way to use with 1x12, 2x12 until I get the CLR. Too bad on the CLR that you can't disable the power amp and use it both ways, to try with it's amp or external power amp.
Your CLR, is it active or passive?
Was it a wedge, and if wedge did sound good on its side also like cab?
Did one FRFR cab in back line do it for you, like having a 2x12? Think you (or anybody) running 2 FRFR's in backline like a 2x12?
Maybe I should start a spearate thread with these questions.
thanks Gary

guitarjim
Thanks for report. I'm new getting into this and will be trying out stuff. I'm on list for a CLR active wedge and have Matrix amp on its way to use with 1x12, 2x12 until I get the CLR. Too bad on the CLR that you can't disable the power amp and use it both ways, to try with it's amp or external power amp.
Your CLR, is it active or passive?
Was it a wedge, and if wedge did sound good on its side also like cab?
Did one FRFR cab in back line do it for you, like having a 2x12? Think you (or anybody) running 2 FRFR's in backline like a 2x12?
Maybe I should start a spearate thread with these questions.
thanks Gary

Gary, I'm using the active cab, not a wedge, because we play some tight places and I like to be able to stack my rig to save space.

I changed to FRFR from a Freyette 2/90/2 and a Bruno 2x12 cab. I didn't miss the 2x12 at all. Not in the least. The CLR actually felt much bigger behind me. I think it was mostly because the frequency articulation was so clear across the spectrum that it just felt huge, like I had a mini array behind me. Now, I will say that I never elevated the 2x12 like I did with the CLR last night, so that might have had an additional impact. Either way, the Bruno 2x12 is going up for sale. I'm never going back.

It is possible what I perceived as Boomy with the Atomic Active CLR Cab has nothing to do with the cab itself but how it is being amplified?

Remember I do not use the cabs as monitors I use them as my only source of amplification at gigs. No FOH --

If the cab designs are both equally flat then the variable between them is the amp source.

I used two amp sources

1. The built in one in the Atomic CLR
2. The Matrix GT1000

The Matrix amp is designed to drive monitors as well as standard guitar cabs.

Have we been focusing on the wrong thing to nail down the source of the boom I experienced with the CLR?

Again --- I am not using my cabs as monitors. I am using as only source of amplification (at gig volume) for shows.

Could it be that the amp in the CLR works well as a monitor and at moderate volumes but not as well when used as a sole source of amplification with a full band in a club/bar setting?

No, honestly, I listened to your clip in the other thread... the clip itself is low mid/ bass heavy... if you went direct into GarageBand, with no EQ added, then your preset is going to sound low mid/bass heavy in a system which reproduces sound accurately. Also, FRFR is not really meant to sound like a guitar amp in a room, it is meant to sound like a well mic'd guitar amp through Studio Monitors. IMHO, being a Recording Engineer, if you want your presets to be reproduced accurately, and translate well to different speaker systems like FRFR, you need to sculpt your presets on accurate studio monitors.

I don't have either the Matrix or the CLR... I don't work for either company, nor do I represent or have any affiliation with either...

This is kind of what I've been thinking based on LVC's comments and my experiences with the CLR's (active wedges) so far. I'm wondering if the CLR's require a bit more effort than the Matrix cabs to dial things in (or out) to get more of the typical guitar cab (in the room?) sound. Finding just the right IR for the sound you're going for has always been the trick (as I've learned) so may have been part of the issue here. Either way, LVC found what works for him and that's all the matters... plain and simple.

I shot a video of GT1000FX with Q12 at Axe-Fest 2012. As I remember it had a very pleasing tone but it was not flat, had more mid range. It was very guitar cab like tone with a tweeter.

Saying that a tradition guitar cab has a low and high cuts. Highs added back with the tweeter, but what about the subs?

Could that be, that CLR being linear produces lower frequencies, so actually you hear the "booming" subs, but the Q12 conveniently cuts them out?

So actually both sounds great You just have to make sure you cut your lows with CLR, since it's flat?

wondering

EDITED: they weren't Q12. They were CFR12

This is kind of what I've been thinking based on LVC's comments and my experiences with the CLR's (active wedges) so far. I'm wondering if the CLR's require a bit more effort than the Matrix cabs to dial things in (or out) to get more of the typical guitar cab (in the room?) sound. Finding just the right IR for the sound you're going for has always been the trick (as I've learned) so may have been part of the issue here. Either way, LVC found what works for him and that's all the matters... plain and simple.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is even more evident with FW10.

there is an amp in FW10 that I know inside out and I have used on countless gigs (actually my old amp). Axe and amp are as close sounding as close can be. With my current setup - no deep EQ diving needed. Just set the basic EQ (like you do with your tube amp) and you are done.

A good engineer (or someone with good sound reinforcement background) should be able to dial anything in. I am a plug and play kind of cat -- I get to the gig, dial my amp to the room and I am off to the races. End of the night I pack up my shit and go home.

I don't have the time or desire to be adjusting band EQa to make the Axe sound good through a cab. The constant need for tweaking is why I tried the Axe 3 times (since 2009) and ended up going back to tube amps EVERY TIME.

This time it is different. The system I have in place (to me) sounds and feels like a tube amp and I can approach it like the plug and play player that I am.

Like you said -- I found the perfect combination that works for me.

I got (my latest) AXE in Feb of this year and have already done 8 gigs -- 4/27 will be gig #9 with the Axe. All the gigs have been without a controller -- just switching scenes. Hopefully the FAS shipment arrives as scheduled next week and I can get one before my gig - if not -- no big deal.

Bottom line -- the AXE/matrix GT1000FX/Q12 combination is working for me big time! -- Really loving it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
I think you hit the nail on the head. It is even more evident with FW10.

there is an amp in FW10 that I know inside out and I have used on countless gigs (actually my old amp). Axe and amp are as close sounding as close can be. With my current setup - no deep EQ diving needed. Just set the basic EQ (like you do with your tube amp) and you are done.

A good engineer (or someone with good sound reinforcement background) should be able to dial anything in. I am a plug and play kind of cat -- I get to the gig, dial my amp to the room and I am off to the races. End of the night I pack up my shit and go home.

I don't have the time or desire to be adjusting band EQa to make the Axe sound good through a cab. The constant need for tweaking is why I tried the Axe 3 times (since 2009) and ended up going back to tube amps EVERY TIME.

This time it is different. The system I have in place (to me) sounds and feels like a tube amp and I can approach it like the plug and play player that I am.

Like you said -- I found the perfect combination that works for me.

I got (my latest) AXE in Feb of this year and have already done 8 gigs -- 4/27 will be gig #9 with the Axe. All the gigs have been without a controller -- just switching scenes. Hopefully the FAS shipment arrives as scheduled next week and I can get one before my gig - if not -- no big deal.

Bottom line -- the AXE/matrix GT1000FX/Q12 combination is working for me big time! -- Really loving it!

I'd love to try the Axe through the Matrix into various guitar cabs. I don't have the spare coin to do it at this time, although i have access to some nice cabs. Like you, I've been playing through mostly vintage amps (for about 25 years myself), and mostly vintage Fender amps at that. I know them fairly well and know what to expect from them. I still love them and have a few left.

But I like a lot of variety anymore so I'm giving the IR through FRFR speakers a shot. I've found the Axe a bit more tricky to use than old school pedal board into amps, but I'm getting better at it and the FW improvements up to 10 have been better and better in this respect as well. FW10 is the first time I've plugged into the Axe and felt "at home"- you can tell a lot of the players who've been at this a while and used traditional amp rigs seem to be feeling similarly about FW10. At least that's what I'm sensing from the forum.

I got the Axe II early on when it was a couple of months out, but I had no experience with the Standard or Ultra previously. I never could stand any of the other modeling type gear I encountered prior. So this stuff is still new to me somewhat and I think we're also riding through some serious leaps in the tech. at this time (I personally think Cliff is charting new territory which is cool to be a part of).

Glad you're digging the Axe finally and it's working for you on the gig... get the MFC and things really get fun.

.. get the MFC and things really get fun.

I got on the MFC list --- before I even got the AF2!

As soon as I get the email ... the money will be sent!

I've been getting by using scenes at my gigs ... but I am starting to use several patches (Fender/Dumble/Marshall) and I am forgetting what scene does what in the different patches .... LOL

I am a basement player...have the Matrix 1000 and two CFR12...never play very loud (I know overkill for what I do...but the heck with it...why not). It turns out after about 2 months the sound of the speaker is suddenly far better...I think lately I have increased the volume a bit and it seems to be the broken in sound not the tight sound you get initially brand new...sounds so much richer and better....not a sound guy so I dont know how to explain...but it sound so much better and wonderful now.

I thik I will go and turn up itunes and let it play for a day now...maybe then it will be fully broken in.

my RCF sounded better to me a few months down the road as well.
I know Jay Mitchell states this in "our heads" and there is no such thing as speaker break in , but I disagree.
I listen with my ears not a spectrometer (or whatever you use to measure this type of stuf LOL!).

I'm still figuring out what my new setup is going to be. Threads like this do help :)

One thing I'm sure of: I'm getting an Axe FX II, but the rest is still open for debate (and restricted by budget ;) )

Step one for me is going to be to get myself a Axe FX II, and the Matrix GT1000. (and a Gordius litle giant as foot controller)
I have a 2x12 V30 cab which I love, so I'm using that until I get enough funds to upgrade that part of my setup.

How do people like guitar cabs with the AFX?

FRFR is still new to me, but the concept sounds very promising to me.

Has anyone tried the Matrix GT1000 with passive Atomic cabs/wedges?

They seem like a good fit.

Greetings!

I'm still figuring out what my new setup is going to be. Threads like this do help :)

One thing I'm sure of: I'm getting an Axe FX II, but the rest is still open for debate (and restricted by budget ;) )

Step one for me is going to be to get myself a Axe FX II, and the Matrix GT1000. (and a Gordius litle giant as foot controller)
I have a 2x12 V30 cab which I love, so I'm using that until I get enough funds to upgrade that part of my setup.

How do people like guitar cabs with the AFX?

FRFR is still new to me, but the concept sounds very promising to me.

Has anyone tried the Matrix GT1000 with passive Atomic cabs/wedges?

They seem like a good fit.

Greetings!

all I can say is the Q12 sounds fantastic with the Axe and the Matrix. The Axe sounds great right out of the box with the Matrix/Q12.

If you read my review I did not feel the same way about the CLR (active).

Matrix will be releasing a 2x12 (not FRFR) that weighs only 28 pounds -- I am looking forward to get my hands on one.

Many folks on this forum use the Matrix with regular cabs and swear by that setup.

Good thing about a AF2/Matrix amp combination is that you have the flexibility to go FRFR or cab.

For my tastes having owned and gigged with three different solutions -- I feel the Matrix GT1000FX and Q12 passive cab is hands down the best out of the box solution for a gigging musician (again this is my opinion based on my experience using the Verve, the Atomic CLR and the Matrix Q12). -- this is especially true if you are not going through FOH and are using the FRFR monitor as your only source of amplification for your guitar. again -- this is my opinion based on owning all three FRFR monitors I have owned and used at gigs.

No charts or powerpoint decks where used as "aids" in rendering my opinion :)

I think the point needs to be made, that if you're using a FOH monitor and going through the PA, what works may indeed be different. We are a much louder band than your band is, so I need a monitor in my face (we do A LOT of harder rock, loud is just the way the music is and needs be). I'm waiting for a CLR, but my RCF is loud and needs to be in my face next to my vocal monitor for me to hear it. Having a speaker being the lone source of guitar sound for my band would require me killing everyone standing anywhere near me (and probably the singer and myself). Guitar's do not project well, especially if you have vocals at the right level in a louder band situation. I needed a FOH type of monitor when I was using a normal tube amp and cab as well for the same reason (usually a Rivera or Germino, with attenuation, through a 2x12 with G12m's) , so perhaps I'm simply used to a monitor situation. Having a cab behind you, as the sole source of guitar sounds and feels vastly different then having a monitor point at your face. It always has and always will. It makes sense that there might be different solutions for different circumstances and needs. There is no best in all situations, there is only what works best for you in your situation.

I respect that the OP prefers the Matrix over the Atomic but I can state with certainly that the CLR is not boomy at all. I can go through my presets and find presets that are boomy but after applying some low cut that boom is gone just as I had to do with the RCF I had before it. All my presets that were dialed in from the RCF sounded even better through the CLR as that (312A) I had been using could be considered boomy.

I've been hoping to see some side-by-side comparisons on the Matrix and CLR speakers. I'm wondering if the Matrix don't get down as low in the Hz. as the CLRs. I have the CLRs and they do require adjustments depending on the preset and IR being used. Figure that's the case with any of these speakers though.

Back
Top Bottom