Matrix GT1000 - Output level questions and clarity

within the preset I have the level set to 0dB [the output level that is set o the far right hand side of the grid]

the GT1000 volume I set to 2/3 of max

to get the level I actually want to hear I then adjust the output1 knob on front of the Axe

Hi there,
Were you running a mono signal in to channel A, with the switch set to bridged and using the central bridged output to the 16ohm mono input of your cab ?

In which case you would have up to 650 watts available ( the sum of the outputs into an 8 ohm load ), to play into your 40 watt cab. The output lights starting to flicker at -9db would show that you are approaching 80 watts output.

I would suggest leaving your mono input to channel A, setting the switch on the amp to stereo and plugging you cab into output A. A single channel of the GT1000FX will output up to 150 watts into a 16ohm load, with the signal light starting to illuminate at 20 watts.

The single channel solution will give you a visual indication of output power that is more useful regarding the 20 watt power rating of the drivers that you are using, and still provide more than enough headroom for your cab.

I have put a link to the charts on the FAQ page at the MatrixGuitarAmplification site which show the output powers for various loads.

F.A.Q. :: Matrix

Please do let me know if you have any questions.
My best regards
Matt

Hey Matt,

Yes, you are correct in the wiring config. Single input A, bridged out X into mono 16ohm cab with 2 @ 20 watts. The cab is also stereo at 8ohms, Could I go mono (parallel) into each speaker and have the same results as you described or is there a different factor involved. Will I get the same headroom. I only played for about 5 minutes what according to you might be twice the cabs rating, but it sure sounded good...lol

JLP

A single side of the GT1000 will still supply over 200 watts to a 16 Ohm load. There is PLENTY of headroom using a single channel of the Matrix - you'd still have to be careful about whats going out to the cab. Bridging just isnt needed for your set-up IMO. There is a case to say that bridging amps (not the Matrix ones specifically - but generally) can result in more power, but not quite such a good response. Seriously just try a single channel and see how you feel.

A single side of the GT1000 will still supply over 200 watts to a 16 Ohm load. There is PLENTY of headroom using a single channel of the Matrix - you'd still have to be careful about whats going out to the cab. Bridging just isnt needed for your set-up IMO. There is a case to say that bridging amps (not the Matrix ones specifically - but generally) can result in more power, but not quite such a good response. Seriously just try a single channel and see how you feel.

On this note I use a single channel of the matrix for both my guitar and more importantly my bass rig. A single channel of the matrix has more than enough power for me to keep up with a 9 piece band on bass.

On this note I use a single channel of the matrix for both my guitar and more importantly my bass rig. A single channel of the matrix has more than enough power for me to keep up with a 9 piece band on bass.

I am begiining to realize this. Before (same set up) but a rectio 4x12.. never had to turn it up to see the lights...

Question: A store bought EVH GT12 2 x 12 cab at 16ohm say it is a 60 watt cab.. I put the same 2 speakers in my port city 2x12. at 16ohm.
The speakers are clearly marked 20 watts...IS IT a 40 watt cab or a 60 watt cab..???? How can they rate it 60? Samr exact speakers..

Last edited:
Heres a how to guide.

1. Disconnect your speakers.
2. Select your loudest patch (with any vol boosts engaged).
3. Turn AFX and Matrix up full.
4. go to the global output page, and reduce the gain slider until the Matrix lights start to flicker (they will be on permanantly probably at the start).

At this point your putting "roughly" the following into the speakers (from a single channel - bridging the amp gives different figures):

4 Ohm Cab = 62 Watts
8 Ohm Cab = 42 Watts
16 Ohm cab = 30 Watts

Now - if your cab can handle more than that you can turn up the gain slider again - ever 3dbs doubles the power - so if you have a 120w 8 Ohm cab, you can turn up the slider 4db or so, which will provide around 120w. If you have a 240w 16 Ohm cab you can turn it up 9db (as thats 8 times the power = 240w).

At this point, when both Matrix and AFX front panel knobs are up full - your pushing the max power your speaker will take. You could reduce the gain slider a db or so if you want to play safe. At this point your set - as long as you use the patch you carried this process out with as you "master" patch. if you create another that is louder you will be pushing more than is safe into your speaker. You can then set EITHER the Matrix or AFX front knob to max - and control your volume level using the other, and it doesnt matter which you use.
Im so sorry to be resurrecting this thread guys. But by any chance does anyone know where I can find the "global output page" mentioned in @paulmapp8306 post? im trying to set up my matrix gt1000 with my FM9. Thanks much if anyone could point me to the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom