Matrix GT for bass and PA, plus some PA advice needed

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
We're currently evaluating moving to our own rehearsal space and trying to figure out whether the added convenience is worth the added costs. The greatest expense in terms of equipment would be a PA system, and I'm thinking about getting something that'll work well in a small space (40-60 square meters, or 450-650 square feet roughly). Everything except drums goes to the mixer directly, no amps/cabs during rehearsals.

On another note, we're using a Matrix GT1000FX-1U to power two guitar cabs on stage at larger venues (otherwise or stage is silent, we use IEMs), and, since our bass player moved to Axe, we're considering to get another Matrix to plug it into bass cabinets on stage as well when needed.

So I'm now thinking about this - if we get another Matrix amp for bass, add a DriveRack PA processor, we'll have a 3U rack which can power two speakers and a sub in our rehearsal space, or stage cabs/backline at larger venues. Or maybe power our PA at small spaces (50-100 people audience) during gigs.

Is this a totally crazy idea? Did anyone try Matrix as a PA amp? How is it for bass? If it's not totally misguided, what size/power mains/sub should I be looking for? Any advice for particular brands?

Thanks in advance!

The amps will work great as PA amps. Just remember the input sensitivity (0db) compared to your other gear and should be fine.
We've lots of guys using the GT1000 for bass, unless it's a mammoth 6x12 or 8x10 stack you should be fine. One channel doing a 400w cab and another a 1x15 or something is no problem.

You'd need 2 separate amps for that if driving two cabs (as it takes a feed from both channels to drive in bridged) but 1 amp doing that and another driving something else is ok. So long as it's rehearsal room volume and not for full PA backline purposes (big front of house rig type stuff) it should do the job and crossover to other uses. Subs usually have the bigger amps dedicated to them but for "normal" volumes should be ok.

Yeah, I'm thinking about one Matrix driving a couple of 2-way satellites and one, in bridge mode, driving the sub.

Back
Top Bottom