Matrix GM50

I have a couple of nitpics based on the picture:

10122-matrix-gm50-p1040030.jpg

So this pic is a little shadowy, but looks like the panel is not recessed to protect the jacks, power switch and knobs. Like this, I mean:

30054BK.jpg

If it's flat, I can't just cut a rectangular hole on the rear of my 4x12 and drop it in. I'll need to do extra custom woodwork (and tolex) to mount it in a recessed way, otherwise I'll shear that volume knob clean off the first time I go move the thing.

Also I would have arranged the power switch and gain knob to be near the top and the connectors for power and audio near the bottom. I know there's other use cases, but I'm thinking of reaching over the top of my rack and down behind the back of the cab trying to reach the volume knob way at the bottom.

Nitpicking aside, the concept is great! I want. I could definitely see some commercial cab makers designing new cabs based on this.. maybe they will get some bulk orders from manufacturers.

I have a couple of nitpics based on the picture:

10122-matrix-gm50-p1040030.jpg

So this pic is a little shadowy, but looks like the panel is not recessed to protect the jacks, power switch and knobs. Like this, I mean:

30054BK.jpg

If it's flat, I can't just cut a rectangular hole on the rear of my 4x12 and drop it in. I'll need to do extra custom woodwork (and tolex) to mount it in a recessed way, otherwise I'll shear that volume knob clean off the first time I go move the thing.

Also I would have arranged the power switch and gain knob to be near the top and the connectors for power and audio near the bottom. I know there's other use cases, but I'm thinking of reaching over the top of my rack and down behind the back of the cab trying to reach the volume knob way at the bottom.

Nitpicking aside, the concept is great! I want. I could definitely see some commercial cab makers designing new cabs based on this.. maybe they will get some bulk orders from manufacturers.

some really valid points I didn't even think of that.

I spent some time at a guitar show a few days ago with Matrix, I have been asked not too reveal a whole lot but they do have some very great stuff that I saw and heard in prototype. Definitely worth giving feedback to them on things that you think would be useful as they will listen etc.

I can only suggest to offer a portable version without mounting screws holes. Think people like me that are willing to use it with different cabs depending on the venue, or people that simply dont want to screw it in. Otherwise it sounds promising!

Although a very good concept, and many have already expressed interest in this, I don't think it's for me. Firstly it's mono, and secondly I don't fancy doing surgery on my 4x12 to accomodate the unit. Also, as rsf1977 said, it's not recessed, leaving the controls exposed.

However, like Fractal, Matrix are a company that listens & responds to customer feedback (it's the only way to survive) so I wonder if anyone else was hoping for a more 'developed' verion of the GT800FX? I think it's good power-wise, no need to increase that. It just needs a bit of a facelift, and the option of some panel EQ, say a prescence control, and an option to alter the response time (slow it to suit your rig) would be good too. I'll be interested to see the other products they have in the works........

Hey Robboman, the page reads 195 £ plus taxes and shipping :)

Awesome! Half of a GT800FX at half the price, in panel-mount form.

The lack of a recessed panel might be a deal-breaker though. Really too bad.

I already have the v2 design all figured out: :) The module should be just a small box without any panel mount screw holes at all. Portable, easy to throw into a gig bag, and table-top friendly to use anywhere. For cab installations, the module would attach itself into a recessed bracket-frame designed for panel mounting. It would be designed so you can easily remove the module from the frame, so you take it out and use it elsewhere. Ideally some kind of tool-less, snap in design. You could also buy additional panel frames so if you wanted to, you could install frames in several cabs and have only one module that you move between cabs whenever you need active power. The frame would come with a snap-in 'blank', so you can fill in the open rectangle on the back of your cab for normal, passive use with external power.

Matrix.. if you build it this way, I'll take 2 modules and 4 frames. :)

Awesome! Half of a GT800FX at half the price, in panel-mount form.

The lack of a recessed panel might be a deal-breaker though. Really too bad.

I already have the v2 design all figured out: :) The module should be just a small box without any panel mount screw holes at all. Portable, easy to throw into a gig bag, and table-top friendly to use anywhere. For cab installations, the module would attach itself into a recessed bracket-frame designed for panel mounting. It would be designed so you can easily remove the module from the frame, so you take it out and use it elsewhere. Ideally some kind of tool-less, snap in design. You could also buy additional panel frames so if you wanted to, you could install frames in several cabs and have only one module that you move between cabs whenever you need active power. The frame would come with a snap-in 'blank', so you can fill in the open rectangle on the back of your cab for normal, passive use with external power.

Matrix.. if you build it this way, I'll take 2 modules and 4 frames. :)

brilliant mate!

brilliant mate!

Thanks. I just noticed that was my post # 777 on this forum. That should mean good luck for my idea. I think it will come true and then Matrix will give me free product as payment for doing this brilliant design work for them. ;)

I hope this product launch will be as huge as this .jpg 8)

MATRIXGM50ARGBHIRESJPEG.jpg

Hmmm.. does the GM50 appear to be about the same size and relative dimensions as this panel?

AtomicCLRPanel.jpg

You guys may be on to something with the Atomic CLR speculation. They would sell assloads if this was true, compared to some generic class-D.

Maybe the GM50 pic they released is only the prototype, and the prod one will be on a proper recessed panel like the CLR

Last edited:

Nice idea but I don't necessarily think it needs recessing, the knobs on the GT800's are quite small and already well recessed into the casing (almost too much), if you did catch it the shaft would only move a couple of mm before hitting the inside of the casing hole, it would be very tough to snap one off if at all just by knocking it, these guys are on the ball so maybe it's even designed that way on purpose. The jacks are a different matter but that's the same with any cab.

Last edited:
I hope this product launch will be as huge as this .jpg 8)

MATRIXGM50ARGBHIRESJPEG.jpg

Hmmm.. does the GM50 appear to be about the same size and relative dimensions as this panel?

View attachment 10181

You guys may be on to something with the Atomic CLR speculation. They would sell assloads if this was true, compared to some generic class-D.

Maybe the GM50 pic they released is only the prototype, and the prod one will be on a proper recessed panel like the CLR

My apologies for the size of the jpg, but I do like to do things big :)

Back
Top Bottom