Matrix FRFR GFR12 active and CFR12 passive updates.

Lightningboy

Experienced
Hey guys

Not been posting much due to gigging and recording schedule but been lurking around here and there and just wanted to update everyone that's interested on the developments on the Matrix active and passive FRFR wedges. I've seen a few posts and some speculation in different threads so thought it may be a good idea to get everything down in one place and hopefully update everyone as to where Matrix are in the land of FRFR.

THE STORY SO FAR!

So back in March 2012 we tested and showed off a prototype FRFR wedge. Powered by a GM50 module and featuring a B&C 12HCX76 coaxial driver, we demo'd a couple of these wedges at the guitar show at that time. We gathered feedback from people at that show as well as further ideas, improvements and as much live testing as we could, putting the wedge through its paces. We implemented some improvements into a MK2 wedge, these were mainly cosmetic such as handle placement and different coating etc. At the same time we also developed a wedge with a lower/mid range driver in a passive model (seen in photo below). This was the MK1 CFR12, with the Celestion TF1225CX driver.

Both wedges were good but not quite good enough. We felt that the MK2 active wedge although looking better, didn't sound as good as the MK1 so it was back to the lab to get a hybrid of both those (MK1 sound with MK2 cosmetics). The passive wedge was ok but we wanted to see if we could better it so we decided to increase the baffle thickness as well as tinker with the crossover.

Some time passed........

In time for the next UK guitar show (May), I get two new MK2 Celestion passive wedges delivered to me for sounding and beta testing. Raced to the rehearsal room and powered up......holy shit! It's a home run! These things are seriously good....IMO! Not content with just my word on it though so we reveal the Celestion driven CFR12 at the show. The reaction is overwhelming. We have to keep pointing out that the 4x12 we had there wasn't plugged in and that the sound was coming from the 2 smallest speakers there!

We also get the B&C driven MK3 GFR12a's in time for the show, just in time to quickly demo, compare and get some more feedback and then send to Fractal for the NY Amp Show for them to evaluate. We kinda knew what the reaction and feedback was going to be as by now we'd had the B&C driven wedge in front of a lot of people but it was still valuable none the less to receive it, especially from a set of ears belonging to the guys that did the Axe FX!!

The feedback we got was it seemed a bit too bright at "normal" volumes. At gigging and onstage volumes the B&C driver has a lot more oomph and bottom end than at low to medium volumes. Still crystal clear in the mids and high, just seemed like the HF driver because it's so efficient, wasn't letting the LF driver get a look in until it was cranked. (Just my layman's opinion there, no technical facts to back that up) As has been stated elsewhere on the forum, we have a couple of options to tweak this right and we're currently re-working the crossover again to correct that. That's ongoing as we speak. No conspiracy or mexican stand-off or seeing who blinks first, just simply that we want to get the product right for everyone, bedroom as well as gigging players. Andy Hunt is the kind of guy that won't release a piece of gear unless it's been tested to it's limits and is sonically right. With a monitor, that means taking it out on the road and loading it in and out, knocking it about, sweating on it, spilling beer if needs be so that it continues to do the job day after day, night after night.....bit like an AK47!

So with all that in mind we decided last week to have a mini shootout and put our products up against some others. Matt's posted a photo from that day here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/55157-matrix-gfr12a-active-wedges.html
We tested the RCF NX12-SMA which seems to be the speaker of choice at the moment for modelling users. We also tested out the D&B M4 monitor with it's matching amp. This thing is one of the industry standard high level wedges that you'll find on alot of big stages. They'll only let you hire out the speaker with it's corresponding amp so that's what we did! Also present was a D&B clone with a 15" coaxial (B&C I think) and a Matrix 15" prototype (B&C driver). Bringing up the rear is a little powered 8" wedge which has a Volt FR220 driver in it Volt Loudspeakers - FR220.1 seriously great driver I just plonked into a small wedge. We tested these against our passive CFR12 and the active GFR12 (Celestion and B&C respectively).

Firstly let me say how impressed we were with the RCF. A lot smaller than I thought, well constructed and nice design with some good features. Soundwise, plenty of bottom end, a slight compression in the lower mids and the high end seemed a little brittle. The "digital" amp powering it may have had an impact on that or indeed the DSP. Not bad and certainly I liked the bottom end with guitar through it but when faced with music, it seemed a little "unfocussed". The D&B M4 was up next. I can see why this is used on plenty of stages. Great bottom end, not too flabby and tight and focussed. Clear in the mids and highs. Like a big hi-fi speaker that goes really really loud! Easily the benchmark to aim for.

The question was how would the Matrix stuff hold up against it?

The GFR12 active wedge held up well. The B&C driver in the D&B is the 15" version of the one in our wedge so aside from the bottom end issue, the results were very similar. However the GM100 module in the GFR12 will tip the balance I feel when we get the MK4 version with the new bottom end tweaked.

The real surprise though was the Celestion CFR12. We ran that through a GT1000FX. We were surprised how easily it kept up with the D&B, not much to choose between the 2 with a slight leaning towards the Matrix as being better, very close though.

Whether or not you take our word for it is up to you (we've not disappointed so far!! lol) but at the moment this is where it's at.

The B&C powered active GFR12 is waiting on tweaks to help the bottom end. No timescale yet that I've been made aware of.

The Celestion powered passive CFR12 is in production as we speak, all built in the UK, wood on the router, drivers on the shelf and I think some pre-orders have been taken already, release very soon.

Other products still in development, on the drawing board, in the brain.

I'm sure Matt or even Andy will chip in with anything I've missed or retold in error.

Good update. I am one of the many who was disappointed to see neither manufacturer make the anticipated release times, but it's nice to know progress is being made. Like I've said before, the more viable options out there for Axe Fxers, the better! I am enjoying the NX12SMA, but we all know that no speaker is right for everyone. I would swap in a minute if someone, Matrix/Atomic/otherwise, comes out with something significantly better. That's how I ended up on the Axe Fx to begin with!!

Thanks so much for the update! While I can't speak for everyone, I guess you could say us Axe-Fx users are somewhat spoiled with the cutting edge technology in our black boxes, and we get a bit demanding when it comes to expectations from other companies. We value support products that allow us to realize the maximum potential of our investments in this awesome technology! I'm glad to see Matrix is making significant progress in their product offerings.

To be honest, I really appreciate the attention to excellence. Yes, the delay was disappointing, and at least for now they lost my business as a result, since I needed something that was available. But I'd much rather they get it right for everyone who buys it, rather than rush it out just to get the few sales they may lose to the delay. Plenty of companies out there in other industries rush something out half-assed just to have SOMETHING on the shelves, and in the end everyone ends up with a product less than it could be. I get the motivation for that though, and I applaud any company with the guts to hold it back to get it right.

And on top of that, the better they make the product, the higher probability that they'll even win over some of the sales they lost. I certainly won't rule out selling the RCF for the Matrix if the consensus once it's out and tested is that it really is leaps and bounds above the RCF. I have a lot of respect for Matrix.

Can you give a quick comparison on how the RCF compared to the CFR12 ?

You gave nice descriptions of both wedges...but not how they directly compared to each other.

Thanks in advance!

Can you give a quick comparison on how the RCF compared to the CFR12 ?

You gave nice descriptions of both wedges...but not how they directly compared to each other.

Thanks in advance!

I'll have to tread carefully here! lol I don't want an army of RCF owner coming after me with the pitch forks! ;-)

Again as I stated, we all thought that the RCF was a good product. It's design and weight and some great extra touches with build quality impressed us.

The bottom end on the RCF had a mix of thump and boominess. Nice thump in the chest when given a kick drum or bass in music and also when giving some heavy palm muted riffing on guitar. I can see for an "amp in the room" sound that this goes some ways in adding to the cab sims and giving more of a real cab feel. Perhaps a touch too much bottom end for some though who like their lows a little tighter. Maybe a little "dialled in" for DJ and music applications. How easy to dial out for those who don't like that sort of thing I don't know. The high end on the RCF sounded ok with music, when we tried it with guitar though we found it to be quite brittle and "digital". All 5 people who were present were in agreement with that. We felt that was the "curse of Class D" and the amp was providing that harshness. One other area of note which I touched upon was in the low mids. A slight blanket effect was present. This could have been caused by the DSP processing or indeed the amp.

When comparing the RCF to the 2 Matrix offerings, I think the real difference was in the amp powering the Matrix's. Maybe if the RCF had been powered by the Matrix amps then it would be a lot harder to find fault. If they did a passive version I think a couple of the testers on that day would be seriously looking at them! Myself included!

Back to how ours did. Fair enough on the active wedge, we've not sorted the bottom end and for me personally if we could transplant the bottom from the RCF to the Matrix active then I'd be a happy camper. IMHO opinion that would be a perfect solution. The Celestion wedge didn't have as much bottom end as the RCF but was a little tighter and still had a little of the same "depth" that the RCF had. When we've used them for guitar people have commented that there's the same thump and same qualities you'd associate in a bigger cab. Mids were more transparent on both Matrix wedges. Highs on guitar didn't have that brittle quality and again were clear.
The Celestion passive wedge is the cab that has surprised us all. We expected the driver to be very ordinary but it's kept up with everything thrown at it. It was so good we had to look again at the active wedge to improve that even further and it's come out on top soundwise of a couple of speakers more than double its price.

In conclusion the RCF is a very capable and workable solution. I do think solutions can be built for less that are just as good if not better and going on to the next level of high end pro stuff, I think a solution to compete with those is equally very capable for less money.

Hope that helps. IMHO, YMMV and other caveats apply.

:D

Just keeping everyone in the loop. Andy and the Matrix team have been busy! First part of the 1st production batch of the passive CFR12's are done and just going through some final quality checks/testing.
View attachment 12843

This is exciting. lightning, any patches created using these should translate well to a good PA system? Stuff I create using my bx8b studio monitors is rarely in the ballpark when I gig it and entails several further revisions.

Dont need this John - having just bought a house in Nottingham, and needed to spend more than I thought getting it up to scratch. Dont think I quite have the funds left I wanted to keep by for the passive. Possibly, if I try really hard, I might have enough in a couple of months.

On the plus side, once I move into the new house (wife and kids are there) after Christmas - well be much close :)

This is exciting. lightning, any patches created using these should translate well to a good PA system? Stuff I create using my bx8b studio monitors is rarely in the ballpark when I gig it and entails several further revisions.

That's true. After v7 update a couple of my patches were sounding a little thin. I managed to tweak them via headphones at home for the gig that night (I've also got BX5's as monitors) and they sounded every bit as good on stage.

Schedule on the actives......I'll have to check with Andy and see. I'll let you know.

Paul........sorry mate!

What ever happened with the active wedges? Was there ever a Neo version? Were they as small and lightweight as the Atomic CLR Neo for example?

What ever happened with the active wedges? Was there ever a Neo version? Were they as small and lightweight as the Atomic CLR Neo for example?

The CFRs and Q12's both use a semi Neo coaxial speaker. It's a Neo LF with a Ferrite HF driver. They are IIRC lighter than the Atomic speakers. Those active wedges were prototypes quite early on. They used the big B&C coaxial driver in those. When we developed the CFR, it was pretty close sounding in all honesty so we shelved the design using the big B&C speaker and concentrated on the CFRs then the Q12 stuff. Those original active wedges ended up being the M12 monitor design we have in our back pocket (which we showed at the 2013 LA Amp show on the main stage) which has a separate active amp powering them (much like the high end D&B stuff). It's a product being aimed at high end touring and stage use.

Photo here: https://www.facebook.com/MatrixAmpl...0.1430829542./625041750852592/?type=3&theater

Back
Top Bottom