Matrix FRFR 1x12 Coaxial solution!

xpenno

Power User
Ok so I go away for a week and it looks like the cat is now out of the bag!

Matrix Amplification are working on a 1x12 coaxial wedge. I had the pleasure of testing a prototype at home and with my band for a week. This thing kills. It's portable and loud, the response was very flat, it just sounded great with the AxeFX II at all volume levels. The best thing about it for me is that it sounds like a guitar cab, it's not sterile like some FRFR solutions that I have owned in the past. There doesn't appear to be much info out on the web yet but it shouldn't be too long!

It's worth saying that the quality of both the amp, cab and speaker are top drawer, I can see this working for many people looking for a guitar based FRFR solution.

For the record I have previously owned QSC, FBT, RCF, LD Systems and Alto speakers and I can say without any hesitation that this speaker works better in the FRFR/Guitar modelling environment than any other that I've played.

Here is a pic to keep you entertained until more info becomes available :)

Check Matrix FB page for more info and updates

Matrix Amplification | Facebook

I think that there is a video somewhere showing the FRFR off with the AxeFX II. I'll try and dig it out.

Rock on!

Spence

Any chance they will make a rectangular cabinet version? It seems like that kind of design would go along more with their current market than this wedge.

This vid was in the Matrix G-50 thread, I don't know if this is the one your talking about but here it is.

I'd assume there will be passive options for the GT800FX owners too?

Good to have a UK/EU based alternative to the imminent Jay Mitchell designed ones .... I'm officially seriously interested in these.

I would definitely would love to check this out...knowing the quality of the GT800FZ its got to be great.

I'd assume there will be passive options for the GT800FX owners too?

Good to have a UK/EU based alternative to the imminent Jay Mitchell designed ones .... I'm officially seriously interested in these.

I believe that this should be an option but is probably TBC :)

This vid was in the Matrix G-50 thread, I don't know if this is the one your talking about but here it is.
Yes that is the same one that the photograph is from. I was in the room but not visible in the video, although I can hear myself talking around 2:40 of the video.

Outstanding. The world is getting very interesting and fun!

Spence, what RCF do you (did you) own that you are comparing this to?

Personally, I don't think a single speaker can ever approach true FRFR. I am getting a 12/6/1 fEARFULL system made - essentially a PA speaker, but one that can produce very low fundamentals. One driver is always a compromise, IMHO, something between a traditional guitar cab and an FRFR system... I currently run through a Mackie 450, and it doesn't sound 'sterile' to me at all, just magnificently clean. My $0.02. P.S. I own a Matrix amp, and I love it.

I think this new Matrix speaker offering has two drivers, a hf driver and lf driver.

They appear to be physically mounted with the hf driver in front of the lf driver, guessing from the pics.

Richard

Personally, I don't think a single speaker can ever approach true FRFR. I am getting a 12/6/1 fEARFULL system made - essentially a PA speaker, but one that can produce very low fundamentals. One driver is always a compromise, IMHO, something between a traditional guitar cab and an FRFR system... I currently run through a Mackie 450, and it doesn't sound 'sterile' to me at all, just magnificently clean. My $0.02. P.S. I own a Matrix amp, and I love it.

Matrix uses a coaxial design, HF and LF drivers share the same axis.

Matrix uses a coaxial design, HF and LF drivers share the same axis.

I wonder what type of crossover they will be using, and whether there will be an advantage of using actives or passives (if offered) with the Matrix.

I wonder what type of crossover they will be using, and whether there will be an advantage of using actives or passives (if offered) with the Matrix.

Who knows, but it shouldn't make a difference whether it's an active or passive crossover or whether it's an active or passive wedge. They can tune the systems to match each other.

From what I can tell the supposed Matrix FRFR and the Jaytomic FRFR are one in the same... Atomic are partnering with Matrix to use their new MB50 in the Jaytomic FR as an option along side the passive version.

From what I can tell the supposed Matrix FRFR and the Jaytomic FRFR are one in the same... Atomic are partnering with Matrix to use their new MB50 in the Jaytomic FR as an option along side the passive version.

Whew that could save me a decision :) Was anxious to try the Atomic CLR's.

Richard

Is this a guess or reality?

That is not fact, rumor only.

Back
Top Bottom