Matrix FR212

Galen Cane

Inspired
Hopefully my Matrix FR212 sould arrive via UPS today. This is the final part of my 'fully digital' rig.

This will mean I'll get to play with the Cabs/IR half of the Axe-fx which until now has remained bypassed as I was going through a Marshall 4x12

It struck me that I know next to nothing about this part of the system, so would be interested in any tips and advice you guys could give to accelerate my learning curve.

Buy cab packs 6 and 7, fantastic, and covers about everything you could want, from unique sounding 1x6's to some classic 1x12 and 2x12 options to some vintage Pre Rola' s4x12's and then some fantastic mix ready 4x12 Mesa goodness for the heavier stuff (and that actually works great with clean/crunch too)

Really though, between those two cab packs you should be set for about any tone you could want

Are these are better than the stock ones which come with the FW?

Or just different?

Last edited:
Anyone had the chance to compare the FR212 to the Gemini 2?

I had the two side-by-side for a few days. Both sound great. Here are my notes:

- Gemini 2:
- full-time stereo (no bridged-mono option)
- convertible back to open it to the room if you want
- very flat frequency response at center of speaker (nice if you need to mic it)
- heavy + single strap handle makes it tougher to move

- Matrix FR212
- full-time mono
- louder (4 ohm = louder at same power amp volume)
- flat response, but tougher to dial in a single spot for a mic (if you need to mic it)
- slightly more bottom end (55Hz v. 66Hz per specs and I heard it - may not matter if you are rolling off bottom-end)
- lighter + side handles x2 make it easier to move

I believe that with FRFR (I've got 2 x Matrix CFR12) you sound at different volume levels is more consistent. With my Marshall 4x12, I need to rev it up to get a great sound out of it.

I am willing to be corrected as I've only had the 4x12 a couple of weeks.

So is there a chance we'll get a vid of you playing with the fr212? Would love to see and hear the thing. I still haven't heard/seen many if any comparisons of the fr212 to the CLR...:( Anyway, thanks for posting you thoughts on this cab.

Back
Top Bottom