Matrix FR212 Power amp / Plate amp?

UsrName

Greetings gents! I just took ownership of a Matrix FR212 that my buddy was selling at a steal. I'm liking the cab so far but I am in need of a power amp to go with it. I was originally looking at powered cabs but he ...made me a deal I couldn't refuse - (godfather voice).

So anyway, I really want to make use of the flattest amp I can find to get the most authentic amp sounds from the AX8. Not sure if I want a rack amp like the Matrix but if that is the best pairing, I'm all for it. I've been considering pedalboard/mini head types that have come out recently, such as the Quilter (fx return). I had an ISP Stealth when I had the Amplifire and remember liking it but this cab is 4 ohm and the Stealth only does the full 180 watts into 8 ohms minimum, plus that insanely huge power supply! I also tried the SD PowerStage 170 and did not like it. My buddy is letting me try out his Fryette Power Station this weekend so we'll see how that goes.

I also thought about converting this cab to active by getting a plate type power amp, such as the Dayton, etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is the crossover. The Matrix has a custom crossover already so would I be able to disable or not use the one on the Dayton? Also, I'm not sure how cutting a large hole in this cab will affect the tone. It would definitely be more convenient tho!

Again, I'm really digging this cab so I'm looking to hold on to it for awhile and I don't mind carrying another piece of gear for great tones. And may I say this cab really does have that "amp in the room sound". I stayed up way too late last night playing because it just "felt" so good; even had that cab "bounce" when I stopped the strings after playing!

So what would you recommend as a good, clean, flat, quiet (i.e. fan noise), power amp pairing for this cab? Anyone have this exact cab? What worked for you or gave you the best results? I apologize if this had been beaten to death but I haven't seen a whole about this particular cab. Thanks!

Last edited:
What didn't you like about the SD Powerstage? Generally gets a lot of praise from its users.

Compared to the Stealth, it just felt small and under powered, not full like I had read in the reviews. Hard to explain but I just didn't like the way it made my rig sound compared to everything else I've tried so far. I was really hoping to like it especially so I could mount it on my pedalboard. Maybe the higher 700 one sounds better?

Just thought I'd give an update. I managed to get my hands on an Atomic CLR and A/B'd it against the FR212 / Fryette PS. I ended up liking the CLR better, as it was more punchy, articulate, wide sweet spot, and also had that cab sound to me, despite its small size. That's not to say I wouldn't have been happy with the Matrix/Fryette because it did sound good too, but having them side by side gave me options. Man, I wish there were a store we could go to and audition all these solutions! Anyway, the compactness and the all-in-one solution of the Atomic made my choice even easier, as I will be gigging and took that into consideration. Even the weight is still less than what my Marshall combo weighed.

Back
Top Bottom