Matrix FR212/GT1000 users - advice?

RichardC

Inspired
Hey all.

I'm a relatively experienced Fractal user.

I recently picked up Matrix FR212 + GT1000 power amp combo as an alternative to a CLR, which I have since sold. Understanding as I do that FRFR will likely never feel the same a regular guitar cab, I wanted to see if the 2x12 would get 'closer'.

My question is this: when building tones at home with the CLR, before taking them to the band, I found that anything I tweaked on my home monitors (Adam A7X and Equator D5s) translated almost perfectly to the CLR, with the (usually pleasant) addition of a more robust mid-range. The top and bottom end felt pretty much identical, though.

Now, when using the Matrix system in the same fashion, there is significantly more bottom end and a lot less top end, making me question my studio monitor tweaking and the tone that would be sent to a PA system when playing live. It doesn't sound BAD, just very different to my studio speakers. I do understand the need to tweak tones with the band at band level, and the need to cut top and bottom in the speaker cab block, but the difference is SO marked between my studio speakers and the Matrix FRFR system now I'm second guessing myself.

Can anyone else share their Matrix FR212 experience and any advice?

Thanks!

What settings are you using for the speaker resonance in the speaker tab? I've found that the default setting (which is great for normal guitar cabs) is a bit too much on the bottom end. I set mine to around 85-90hz and then sometimes raise the resonance a little more or widen the Q if I need a bit more low end still.

Remember that with the FR212, the low end extension is quite good (probably better than the Adams) and you've got two speakers which will add to the "mass" of the sound.

May be worth double checking the cab though just in case there is a problem with the HF driver by playing some full range music through it.

The other thing too, to be mindful of is this.. ALL, and I mean ALL FRFR speakers/cabs etc are different from the next. Yes, some are more 'flat response' than others but that also comes down to personal taste and preference. I personally don't like a complete flat response, like the CLR. I had to re-tweak practically all of my patches when I sold my CLR. But I then made another small error by tweaking my patches again whilst plugged into my laptop and Yamaha HS5 monitors.. because when I went from the HS5's to my FRFR Friedman wedge, it sounded different yet again! Lesson learned here - tweak whilst using your main speaker or cab because it will sound different when you're plugged into something else.

So what am I saying.. You'll always be better off tweaking your patches etc when you're actually using your main cab or speaker. Yes, at home it might be hard to tweak your sounds and patches because of the sheer volume, but, at least you're playing it through your actual main cab.. does that make sense?!

I actually handed my guitar to the guitarist in my band and said, 'here, play for the next 15-20 min' and I tweaked away. He played my guitar, thru my axe, thru my rig and I then tweaked away. This helped hugely because it allowed me to hone in on and concentrate on what I was hearing as opposed to what I was playing and hearing at the same time. Made a big difference and my patches were cutting thru beautifully in a band mix.................. which, as I always say, is the most important thing if you're playing live.. You haven't done anything wrong as such, you just need to tweak your sounds when you're using your main rig..

I find with my FR212 i lowcut in the cab block a bit harsher sometimes anywhere from 120-180hz. Better to have low end to cut out IMO than not enough right? I think of it as subtractive EQ. Just like when mixing guitar The great tone is in there! We just need to cut some stuff out to bring it to the forefront and honestly the biggest mistake i make is EQ'ing out of a band context. The tones i make at home sound great, but then get lost in a band. I then cut high and low end and suddenly things start sounding better and being heard.

Amp block in the Fractal. Controls the virtual power amps interaction with the Speaker and allows you to adjust for whatever actual speaker you are running through.

Back
Top Bottom