Matrix FR12 active Cab

The CLR just emits a high pitch squeel and nothing else now. It is a few years old but only used about 10 times because I use studio monitors at home and prefer to carry my much lighter RCF 10 instead. Not happy.

I've had my FR12 for a week. haven't had a chance to try it with my band but it sounds pretty good cranked in my man cave. I was going to compare it to my CLR wedge but the CLR died during my last gig.

Can you comment on the loudness or power of the FR12? Can it hang with a loud band? Will the FR12 get loud without a lot of breakup\distortion.

Can you comment on the loudness or power of the FR12? Can it hang with a loud band? Will the FR12 get loud without a lot of breakup\distortion.

I only had one short practice with the FR12 and my loud rock band. I initially thought it might not be loud enough because I had trouble hearing myself even when I dimed the FR12. However, this may be a gain staging issue with my new rig (I switched from AFII to AX8). And maybe I need to tweak my patches to cut more since my current patches were dialed in with a CLR.

My CLR came back to life so I compared it and the FR12. Despite having similar FRFR specs, they sound different, with the CLR being crystal clear like studio monitors. I could hear reverb trails better than on the FR12. That may not be a good thing depending on your preference.

Hopefully I'll have more band time next week to tweak. I hope it works out because I love the light weight and look. And the Matrix team is very responsive and supportive.

I only had one short practice with the FR12 and my loud rock band. I initially thought it might not be loud enough because I had trouble hearing myself even when I dimed the FR12. However, this may be a gain staging issue with my new rig (I switched from AFII to AX8). And maybe I need to tweak my patches to cut more since my current patches were dialed in with a CLR.

My CLR came back to life so I compared it and the FR12. Despite having similar FRFR specs, they sound different, with the CLR being crystal clear like studio monitors. I could hear reverb trails better than on the FR12. That may not be a good thing depending on your preference.

Hopefully I'll have more band time next week to tweak. I hope it works out because I love the light weight and look. And the Matrix team is very responsive and supportive.
I have heard this from a few people. Guess I won't even bother trying the FR12

Resurrecting an old thread, but how have people found these cabs?
I'd love to see pictures of peoples rigs with these in them.

Resurrecting again, I am waffling between an FR12 and CLR neo, is there a real $200 difference?

I had a FR10 and I thought the sound was great. I got compliments from the other guitarist in the band.

I am now switching to a FR10P as I want to use my Matrix GTX1000 to give it more volume. The FR10 was loud enough for a gig in a medium pub with 5 piece band FWIW.

I have been using my Matrix GTX1000 into my Mesa 2x12 cab for big gigs over the last few years. Now it sounds pretty flat and dull. I am looking forward to getting the new passive speaker so I can get some great tones out of it. BTW weight was fantastic.

I use a FR12 for a moderately loud country band, but im the only electric guitar player. I dont dime it much mainly because we have wedges in front of us, so its really just a backfill. I think its plenty loud.

Back
Top Bottom