Matrix FR10 or FR12 alternative?

Hhuent

Experienced
I was waiting for these since October. Since the beginning of the year they announced these active monitors time and again for "next week" etc. Their website lacks news and dates for upcoming products, not much to be found there, their Facebook site is a long column of birthday greetings, band Infos, guys who won something, fotos from the fair and what not, but Infos when those new monitors will turn up are hidden in between... I would have gladly bought the FR10 from them but I am tired of this. Do you guys know a 200 - 300 watt alternative , small and not more weight than 12 kg ?

Yeah I've been interested in this as well but they can't seem to get their act together, it's been about six months now and it's still coming soon. I've been having a problem with one of my monitors since this past November and in a pinch borrowed a Behringer Eurolive B112d Active monitor. It sounded as good as my top of the line "FRFR" monitor that's being repaired and costs $1,150 less! Yeah, you read that right. I was shocked too. I should finally have my monitor back from repair tomorrow after many many weeks of frustrations that I won't bother getting into now. Lesson learned i guess, don't buy into the hype. A $1,400 monitor isn't necessarily better than one at 1/5th the price.

Yeah I've been interested in this as well but they can't seem to get their act together, it's been about six months now and it's still coming soon. I've been having a problem with one of my monitors since this past November and in a pinch borrowed a Behringer Eurolive B112d Active monitor. It sounded as good as my top of the line "FRFR" monitor that's being repaired and costs $1,150 less! Yeah, you read that right. I was shocked too. I should finally have my monitor back from repair tomorrow after many many weeks of frustrations that I won't bother getting into now. Lesson learned i guess, don't buy into the hype. A $1,400 monitor isn't necessarily better than one at 1/5th the price.

Behringer? Really?
Now that's interesting. I will do a little research. During the last two weeks I was posting once again a friendly question on their cluttered Facebook site - like other customers - if they care to release a new release date for the FR10, but didn't get an answer. One comment got deleted. In the mean time Easter greetings from the company and pics of musicians using matrix gear. But no relevant info. I m really surprised by their marketing communication to say the least. Your info isn't so encouraging also. I will inquire at G66 if they plan to offer alternatives to the Matrix monitors as I always had a good customer experience with them.

i was definitely surprised that the Behringer sounded as good as it did, as was my sound man (who supplied it), At that price point i could have purchased five of them to the one of the other brand. I will say this, however, I just got my monitor back from being repaired last night and I am thankful they were willing to spend the time to test and diagnose the issues properly and repair it for free, especially since it was out of warranty (being 2 years old).

As for Matrix, I just don't get it either. Why would they choose to handle things the way they have, and advertise a product and drag your feet for so long? I think I recall that they had a limited initial run of orders in February, so perhaps they ran into a issues with their parts suppliers. But even if that's the case, just say so....people would understand.

I have been using a pair of the EV ZXA1's and absolutely couldn't be happier with them ... you definitely get a fuller sound with a pair and they don't have the almost boomy bottom end that I have heard in the QSC's. Ive read where someone complained they sounded "boxy", but a little global EQing and they sound fantastic to my ears ... especially when you are bouncing into some of the smaller, single speaker low wattage amp sims ... I was getting factory 2nds from a place up in NY for like $375 each .. :) They are an 800 watt FOH/Monitor style with an 8" driver and 1 1/4" horn in a small package that weighs under 9kg (19lbs) each.

Thank you fellas, I will check all your suggestions. I was also thinking of some highe end stuff and save a little more money. I wonder if its worth it. My ideal candidate would be a small (!) and light weight (!) 300 watt monitor, as I don´t need more watts really, that can ideally serve as FRFR but also as a guitar cab.
Dynacord wedge came to my mind.
Or the KV2 EX6.
Or the RCF TT08 / NX10.
Xitone?
In other words: I would spend more for a small box with less watts that has a great sound.
Further opinions welcome...

Last edited:
Another vote for Mick from Xitone. I have one of his 1x12 monitors, and it's amazing. I use it as a FRFR guitar monitor / cabinet, and it also has a switch that bypasses the full-range circuitry, turning it into a "normal voiced" guitar cabinet. Mick does a great job with customer support, and I've been quite happy with the cab.
Full disclosure : I'm just a happy customer, and not an endorser. I paid full price for my cabinet, and it was worth every penny. I get nothing for recommending his products.

Another vote for Mick from Xitone. I have one of his 1x12 monitors, and it's amazing. I use it as a FRFR guitar monitor / cabinet, and it also has a switch that bypasses the full-range circuitry, turning it into a "normal voiced" guitar cabinet. Mick does a great job with customer support, and I've been quite happy with the cab.
Full disclosure : I'm just a happy customer, and not an endorser. I paid full price for my cabinet, and it was worth every penny. I get nothing for recommending his products.[/QUOTE

Do you have the cabinet or the wedge/monitor?

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback; always reassuring to hear from someone with experience with a product like this.
I've used a few different options for FRFR cabs / monitors. The XiTone has great coverage, is very focused and smooth, and has plenty of power. The only time I don't use it is when the stage is so big that it's impractical to even have cabinets onstage, and at that point I use a wireless in-ear system. Mick Farlow (XiTone) is a great guy. Again, I get nothing for recommending his products.

Back
Top Bottom