Matrix CFR12s ... they're here :)

maschoff

Experienced
Finally, UPS didn't wait until 6 pm to deliver, so I could open these up properly and see what they could do. My first impressions after 15 minutes of playing are that they sound great! :) They pair nicely with the Q12s. I'm powering them with the GT1500FX and going into the Q12s and then into the CFR12s. Still need to break them in with a little music later but I am very happy with what I've experienced so far. Thanks again Matt, Pam and everyone at Matrix Amplification.

20130510141349.jpg

I'll try to post some recordings of both the Q12s and CFR12s later this weekend.

Looks like the CFR12's are slightly smaller than the Q12A's, due to the cut for the wedge.. Can you confirm?

How different do they sound from the Q12's?

(sadly there's no active version of these, are there? damn, thats what I'd probably get if there was.. looks awesome)

Correct, but they fit perfectly on top of each other, they have the same footprint in the orientation above; the one on the left is just slightly askew, so it is misleading. They complement each other very well, the Q12 has the punch and the CFR12 adds the high end air. They sound great by themselves but so much better together, and as a 4x12 with my guitar speaker cabs, I've finally been able to get the right off the record sound. The guitar cabs have the mids and the FRFR adds the highs and lows. I was really impressed with the combination in a 4x12 orientation, I can now easily get that thickness of sound I was always looking for ... and wet-dry-wet they sound euphoric. I'm done buying speakers for awhile :)

I use just FRFR for bass as well, just the Q12s and CFR12s, and it sounds great, better than I ever imagined. I'll try to post recordings of a single Q12, a single CFR12 and then some bass with the whole shebang later this weekend.

If I had to chose between the two, I'd get the CFR12 first, and then add the body of the Q12 after; but I do like that all I have to do is press two buttons at my rack to turn these on. No finagling with knobs and switches at the units, just flip on my Furman and press two buttons and I'm ready to go ... hope that helps.

Last edited:
But .. what are those little white pots in front of the stack for?

I have a couple of theories ...

They could be small candle holders, and actually, its not a rig, but actually a shrine to the gods of Rock, and you light the candles as an offering before you begin to play.

Or ... you light little candles and when the rig is loud enough to blow them out, you know not to turn it up any further?

But .. what are those little white pots in front of the stack for?

I have a couple of theories ...

They could be small candle holders, and actually, its not a rig, but actually a shrine to the gods of Rock, and you light the candles as an offering before you begin to play.

Or ... you light little candles and when the rig is loud enough to blow them out, you know not to turn it up any further?

:) Actually they're cork stoppers I got at the hardware store. They're soft so they don't damage the cab or the floor. I use them to help direct the cabs if needed. I am far too paranoid about fires to light any candles :)

My Q12 should arrive Friday, that'll be fun. Only have a Carvin tube poweramp right now but eventually will get a gm50 to put in the back.. I'm excited, got a great used price on the Q12 Inside Canada.

This is a true man cave. Thousands upon thousands of dollars in gear but when it comes to an entertainment center a box and a blanket will do. I love it!!

I received my Q12 today, and I have mixed feelings about it so far.. (the previous owner said it had 10 hours or so on it, but no music run through it.. Hopefully after I play through it more it'll help out) - It definitely feels more like a real cabinet or the whole "amp in the room" thing than my EV SX300A, but Im not sure if thats what Im going for.. It sounds good, but just a little "lo-fi" if you know what I mean. I will mention I am running a Carvin T100 Tube poweramp for the power section which Im sure is not nearly as good as the Matrix, so once I get a GM50 It'll probably be better.. (Hoping Matt from Matrix gets back to me on facebook about getting one)

At this point Im going to keep playing through it and see how it sounds with the speaker breaking in more (Also the upgrade from my Ultra to the II next week) but if I still feel iffy about it, Im going to pick up an Alto TS110A soon and A/B them, and keep the winner.. Its not that the Q12 is bad, It definitely sounds/feels the most "realistic" out of any solution I've heard for guitar cabs, but Im just not sure I care about that difference at this price point over the other options..

I imagine the Kemper into a Q12A would be the ultimate "modelling tubes" rig..

Last edited:
I received my Q12 today, and I have mixed feelings about it so far.. (the previous owner said it had 10 hours or so on it, but no music run through it.. Hopefully after I play through it more it'll help out) - It definitely feels more like a real cabinet or the whole "amp in the room" thing than my EV SX300A, but Im not sure if thats what Im going for.. It sounds good, but just a little "lo-fi" if you know what I mean. I will mention I am running a Carvin T100 Tube poweramp for the power section which Im sure is not nearly as good as the Matrix, so once I get a GM50 It'll probably be better.. (Hoping Matt from Matrix gets back to me on facebook about getting one)

At this point Im going to keep playing through it and see how it sounds with the speaker breaking in more (Also the upgrade from my Ultra to the II next week) but if I still feel iffy about it, Im going to pick up an Alto TS110A soon and A/B them, and keep the winner.. Its not that the Q12 is bad, It definitely sounds/feels the most "realistic" out of any solution I've heard for guitar cabs, but Im just not sure I care about that difference at this price point over the other options..

I imagine the Kemper into a Q12A would be the ultimate "modelling tubes" rig..

You`re getting a AXII next week and still think that a Kemper would be ultimate???

Strange and mysterious people in this world there is.....

Anyway: hope your Q12 breaks in nicely and works with whatever setup you end up with :)

Back
Top Bottom