Matrix bridge mode

Sfalsetto

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the matrix gt1000fx using with a cab. I have a mesa standard traditional 4x12, powered with a matrix gt1000fx, using either my axe-FX III or FM3.

Right now I have it connected with just output A feeding the cab. The Matrix channel A volume is up almost max.
At band practice tonight I almost had the output on my FM3 maxed. It was pretty loud but I feel I could use just a bit more volume. I’ve read conflicting things about using the matrix in bridge mode. Some seem to say it’s okay, while others recommend against it. If I were to change to bridge mode, would it cause damage to my mesa cab?
Thanks in advance for any help!

I know, that it is not the answer you were looking for, but if that's not loud enough add more mids and lower the bass. Bass eats up a lot of "power". Mid cuts through!

Thanks for your reply. I could probably use a touch more mids, but I am pretty happy with the tone overall. I’m more or less just trying to get an idea of the safe range of power from the matrix.

Do you have Output 1 Level in global I/O menu set to -10dB or +4dB?

Try setting it to +4 after first turning down your Output 1 knob.

Also, are you using your own presets? If so, have you dialed them in for optimal output level?

I’m actually using output 2 out to the cab. I have output 1 setup with a cab block to go direct once we’re playing again. I’ll bypass that and use just output 1 with the settings you’ve suggested to see if there is a noteable difference.

I’m using my own presets, really just one preset utilizing channels and scenes for everything. I tweaked everything last at pretty high levels. Keep in mind, as far as volume goes I’m not far off. I’ve got the walls shaking without a doubt, I was just wondering if bridge mode would allow me slightly more if I feel I need it.

I purchased a Xitone active wedge that should be here within the next few weeks and my plan is to use that on stage as a back line solution, and go straight to FOH otherwise. So I’m sure all of my sounds will have to be adjusted for that.

Like I said, I’m just wondering if bridge mode will allow me a slightly extended volume range safely without damaging the cabinet.

Bridged mode doubles the power output into the optimal load, so I think it would be significantly louder... But also keep in mind the power handling capability of your speakers.

Thanks for your reply. So am I correct in understanding that it only uses the full 1000 watts at 8 ohm with level at full capacity? Thus half way would be approximately 500 watts? Sorry, just trying to understand.
The Mesa cabinet is rated for 240 watts.

Thanks for your reply. So am I correct in understanding that it only uses the full 1000 watts at 8 ohm with level at full capacity? Thus half way would be approximately 500 watts? Sorry, just trying to understand.
The Mesa cabinet is rated for 240 watts.
From the Matrix description:

63FAE62E-4254-49E3-915F-28081B16D3B7.jpeg

Note the difference between standard and bridged mode with an 8ohm load - that's more than 3x the power.

Is your cab 8ohm? Maybe 16ohm?

Also, note that this is probably "peak" output.

You can set the level for Output 2 to +4db as well. That should give you a significant volume boost. It will make the amp reach full power however before the volume on the amp is at full. You can drop the Global EQ level for Output 2 by -4db to compensate. That will bring your level (if your patches etc are all unity gain) to 0db which the Matrix prefers. I'd definitely set it to +4db on Output 2 first before going the Bridged route.

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven’t messed with it yet, been a little short on time. I think I’ll play it safe and try the above suggestions first before attempting bridge mode. I appreciate the input.

Dont worry about volume, worry about dialling in a tone that makes your band sound like a unit not 3+ guys playing the same song.

Back
Top Bottom