Matrix + Atomic CLR passive?

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Hi.
Just curious.
What's better: Matrix GT1000FX + Atomic CLR passive, or Atomic CLR active?
I get that active is lighter, but what about sound quality?

I'd like to know this as well, I am always trying to make my stage setup neater, and if I can run one cable to a speaker instead of two cables (one power and one XLR), that would make things much neater and easier. Is there a sound trade off?

I can't answer in terms of sound quality, but I like the flexibility of having the amp and speaker be separate. I carry a Carvin stereo power amp in my rack, and for most shows, it powers my backline FRFR cabinets. For some stages, I like to use a Xitone 1x12 wedge, so I swap out (and sometimes augment) the FRFR backline cabs. At some venues, we have access to very high-quality full-range monitors, so I just borrow one for my guitar, and power it from my own amp. I have more options with the amp being a separate unit.

The designer of the CLR says the amp is optimized for the speaker in the active version. If you're using the passive version with a power amp, he says you can possibly equal the performance of the active, but you'd have to have really know what you're doing. He also says the active version has built-in protective circuitry that prevents the speaker from being driven any harder than its operational limit, so it's really quite difficult to blow the speaker. I interpret all this as him implying the active is the overall better of the two. But, in the real world, I think the sonic differences would be pretty negligible if you have a good, transparent power amp.

Keep in mind that the Active CLR contains tone-shaping options not found in the Passive CLR. These include pre-calculated DSP settings that adjusts the frequency response of the amplifier to accommodate 3 different cabinet orientations while maintaining a flat response.

The presets are:
  • “Free Field" – for when the cabinets are elevated off the floor like on a chair, pole mount or stand,
  • “Tilt” – for when the cabinet is set up in the wedge position on the floor, and
  • “Back Line” – for when the cabinet is set up like a traditional guitar setup on the floor.

You might be able to duplicate a portion of this function for the Passive CLR by using some EQ.

http://atomicamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Atomic-CLR-Manual.pdf

Back
Top Bottom