Matrix Amplification FR10

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
After a failed attempt at purchasing a Matrix Amplification FR10 (UPS completely destroyed the package which ended up in a shattered cabinet), I have another en route.

I found one slightly used and was able to get a pretty fantastic deal on it, which put it well under the mid-priced “FRFR” solutions.

I did a few searches and the reviews seem to be mixed with this product. Just wondering if any of you are familiar with this powered monitor, have an opinion of them, or suggestions to make the most out of the use of it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Update: I received the FR10 yesterday and have had a few hours to put it through some testing. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with this little thing.

Not only is it smooth through the entire frequency range (no major spikes in the upper frequencies that are inherent in most two-way configurations), it’s giving a damn accurate representation of what my patches sound like through studio monitors, the biggest difference being it has more of that amp-in-the-room feel to it. For fun, I decided to throw a bass guitar at it and it performed just as well, if not better than my Fender Rumble 40, the FR10 having lower frequency extension, despite only being rated by Matrix to be flat down to 50hz.

The biggest selling point of the FR10 is it’s weight. This thing is ridiculously light and can be handled with one hand. And this thing is loud! 300W is more than enough power to get this thing into gigging territory.

I have an fr12 and it works great. Overall though I believe the 10s sound better. Do you use the dsp functionality for quiet playing?

I also have an FR12 which works great. I greatly prefer it to the Verve FBT I used before. It's an ideal loud and lightweight gigging solution. I do like the sound of my CLR better -- it's clearer, more pristine -- but it's also about 15 pounds heavier.

Do you use the dsp functionality for quiet playing?

I haven’t played music using the other DSP modes other than the default, but it does seem to help at lower volumes. The second mode reminds me of a “loudness” setting on a car stereo or an old home audio receiver. Is definitely beats having to tweak presets for lower level playing. With that says, I’ll still dial in my tones at a higher volume.

I do like the sound of my CLR better -- it's clearer, more pristine -- but it's also about 15 pounds heavier.

That seems to be the general consensus. I’d love to have a CLR, but for the price, I feel I made the right decision. I was able to pick this up for $400 in excellent condition, so for me, it was a no-brainer.

I'm thinking of getting an FR12P mainly because I have a GT1000FX so it would be a good combo. Using a Headrush FRFR108 for gigs at the moment but for rehearsals I need a cab to be heard in the room. Sounds like the Matrix would be a good fit. I was after the same thing a good representation of my patches through my monitors.

Give one a try. In my opinion, Matrix really put in the time when designing these cabinets. Compared to the CLR, people have said that the Matrix cabinets are more “beamy” or directional, but I think that’s what makes them sound more like a guitar cabinet, and less like a PA speaker, which I’m guessing the CLR has the characteristics of in regards to projection.

I worked in pro audio for a number of years and the FR10 is without a doubt one of the flattest cabinets I’ve ever heard. While a flat response doesn’t always appeal to the ear when playing prerecorded music (hence why home audio speakers are rarely, if ever flat), it definitely helps represent what you are hearing in your monitors when dialing in your tones.

Back
Top Bottom