Matrix Amplification FR10

Well, I relented to unrelenting gas :eek:, and got a three month old FR12 for substantially less than what they sell for from Matrix. I simply could not pass up that opportunity. :D I am really looking forward to playing thru it. Tally ho!

Great demos! Great player!
I've been wanting to hear more about the FR10 and now I'm completely sold, haha. I want one now!

Just to put things into perspective: Did you pay full retail for this unit? Or did you "receive" it?

No I paid for this - this is my FR10 that I'd been after since it was announced last year. Got myself on the email waiting list and waited like a good boy :)

I'd previously used a matrix cfr12 but wanted a powered unit that wasn't a wedge, and the FR10 fit the bill!

Thanks for the review. I've been debating between this, the xitone or clr. The clr is just too damn heavy if I don't go for the neo option. Your review is pushing me towards the FR10. :)

Thanks for the review. I've been debating between this, the xitone or clr. The clr is just too damn heavy if I don't go for the neo option. Your review is pushing me towards the FR10. :)

I had two CLR neos, while the weight was great they were still big. Obviously because of the 12. I'm looking at the FR10 or Xitone myself because of the smaller cab and footprint..I talked to someone at Matrix and he said they are possibly going to be releasing a FR10 that's a wedge!..that would be awesome.

I've used the FR10 in medium sized bar/cafes with live drummer, without mics, and it's plenty. Have never turned up volume more than 3/4s of the way. I turn it on it's side with main speaker on the top. I put feet on the side, which I now use as the bottom.

I've used the FR10 in medium sized bar/cafes with live drummer, without mics, and it's plenty. Have never turned up volume more than 3/4s of the way. I turn it on it's side with main speaker on the top. I put feet on the side, which I now use as the bottom.

Still happy with it?

BUMP

I would love to hear some updates from all you people who purchased the FR10 on this thread now that you have had some time to work with it.

And if you can answer some questions:

How well does the DSP compensate for the Fletcher Munson effect? I set my presets in a small studio room at home and find they do not often translate well when I get to the larger more open church turned up.

I saw a post somewhere else where someone complained about the fragile casing on the Matrix FR10 - comments?

I love the size and weight. I am also open to going with the Xitone open back 10, but the weight is quite a bit more - 21 lbs vs 36 lbs - and I am old!

I have been using a stereo Roland JC-40, in many ways it is nice. But lately have been using just one of my FBT 8" wedge monitors in mono and it just seems to translate presets in a more real way. Not sure how to explain it. So, thinking of going mono with a nice cab like 10in. (the stereo is more for fun in the studio anyway.)

Anyway, any and all comments from you users of this little beauty, please chime in.

BUMP

I would love to hear some updates from all you people who purchased the FR10 on this thread now that you have had some time to work with it.

And if you can answer some questions:

How well does the DSP compensate for the Fletcher Munson effect? I set my presets in a small studio room at home and find they do not often translate well when I get to the larger more open church turned up.

I saw a post somewhere else where someone complained about the fragile casing on the Matrix FR10 - comments?

I love the size and weight. I am also open to going with the Xitone open back 10, but the weight is quite a bit more - 21 lbs vs 36 lbs - and I am old!

I have been using a stereo Roland JC-40, in many ways it is nice. But lately have been using just one of my FBT 8" wedge monitors in mono and it just seems to translate presets in a more real way. Not sure how to explain it. So, thinking of going mono with a nice cab like 10in. (the stereo is more for fun in the studio anyway.)

Anyway, any and all comments from you users of this little beauty, please chime in.

The DSP in the FR10 doesn't compensate when you turn up, it compensates for when you turn down. It maybe seen as splitting hairs but the DSP is basically like a loudness button on a stereo from the 80's - adding treble and bass so that it sounds better at lower volume. For best results you should still dial in your sound at band volume and when you're then playing at home, it won't feel like you're loosing as much when you're adding the DSP. And I'm sure over time you get used to it so you can dial in with the DSP enabled at lower volume and you'll be happy how it sounds at band volume.

The DSP in the FR10 doesn't compensate when you turn up, it compensates for when you turn down. It maybe seen as splitting hairs but the DSP is basically like a loudness button on a stereo from the 80's - adding treble and bass so that it sounds better at lower volume. For best results you should still dial in your sound at band volume and when you're then playing at home, it won't feel like you're loosing as much when you're adding the DSP. And I'm sure over time you get used to it so you can dial in with the DSP enabled at lower volume and you'll be happy how it sounds at band volume.

Would it work in reverse? I set my presets at home with axe-edit. Using the added bass and treble dsp at home while setting presets, then turning it off when I get to band volume?

Would it work in reverse? I set my presets at home with axe-edit. Using the added bass and treble dsp at home while setting presets, then turning it off when I get to band volume?

Yes, and not as good - nothing is as good as tuning at band volume, regardless what setup you have at home. Having the DSP will get you closer though than other solutions that doesn't have a DSP to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom