Matrix Amp with 1 x 12 cab or AXE FX into a powered CLR

rocketcity

I usually go FRFR with my Axe FX II in our church and use a powered QSC 10 as a stage monitor. I am supposed to be eligible to purchase an active CLR this month. What are the opinions on a setup of the Axe II into FRFR with the CLR as a stage monitor vs. purchasing a Matrix amp and using a 1x12 cab as a monitor?

I tried both ways...still have gt1000fx and q12(frfr) and nl12 (cab)....

Tonwise frfr is a compromise and it doesnt sound as good as a traditional cab. When u crank the frfr
It makes u believe in it :) but a/b it to a guitar cab...in that moment the truth slaps your face....guitar cab sounds better.
If u are filling the room u play with your monitor, traditional cab will make u happier.

Ofcourse all just my opion....but i cant understand when people claim frfr sounds better or as good as guit cab?!

Both are good options but there is a third and its what I have done. Matrix amp into passive CLR's. Gives me the option then if I wanted to use a normal guitar cab I can use the matrix power amp for it.

Mark

Both are good options but there is a third and its what I have done. Matrix amp into passive CLR's. Gives me the option then if I wanted to use a normal guitar cab I can use the matrix power amp for it.

+1

This is my set up also (Matrix + passive CLR + guitar cab). I love being able to run one or the other. Or mix the two together. That gives the best of both worlds for me.

I used to play thru the Matrix GT1000FX into two Marshall 4x12 cabs. Now I play the Matrix GT1000FX into one Xitone 1x12 FRFR wedge. I like both setups for different reasons. I like the versatility of FRFR, especially when emulating a roomful of different speaker cabs but the standard guitar cabs sound more authentic. I like playing along with backing tracks and while playing U2 or Van Halen thru my 4x12s, it sounded good but not as close to the tones as when using FRFR.

If I were out playing live and doing gigs, I imagine I'd rather have real guitar cabs but not sure. For bedroom playing, small FRFR wedges work for me.

I've tried the active monitor/speaker route (hate the term FRFR), and it doesn't work for me as good as a Power Amp -> guitar cab. I found the monitor/speakers were good at low volumes, but was definitely lacking the 'punch' of a real cab at high volumes.

Thanks for all of your replies. I am leaning toward the GT1000FX into a passive cab. I like the thought of getting additional weight into my rolling rack and out of my monitor. I run the AXE FX II and a VoiceLive rack with a Furman power conditioner. The passive cab should be lighter and make transport easier. Also, gives me the option of using an existing cab I have if I play outside of church and want to move some air.

Since I switched to using cabs with the Matrix amp I don't think I can ever gig with a FRFR monitor unless I really have to. It is just a joy and a lot of fun putting the Axe through its paces with a real cab.

Back
Top Bottom