Matrix Amp as backup monitor/PA amp

acroberts

Hey guys - hopefully not a dumb question, but I'm considering a Matrix Amp for use with my AX8, but I also need a power amp for very occasional use to power monitors or mains for smaller gigs.

I know the Matrix stuff is made for guitarists, but does anyone know if they'd be suitable (or how they'd sound) for use to drive monitors/mains?

which Matrix amp are you considering? do you know the model?
when you mention you want to power monitors or mains on smaller gigs, are you using these for guitar as well or other instruments?

Was considering the 1000FX or 1500FX. Would be looking to use for everything from Acoustic + Vocal only gig on through fuller band monitoring (vocals, acoustic & electric guitar, keyboard, etc)

Matrix should be able to answer this question easily. They used to design huge PAs before getting in to guitar.

i recently got a GT800FX to use with my Axe FX2 so i'm not very experienced with power amps but..

the GT1000FX is supposed to be tweeked to work better with modelers but its still a flat response power amp, so i'm almost sure you could use it as a power amp for the rest of the band. i would give Matrix a call to make sure, they are really helpfull on the phone.

Simple answer is yes. They should double up no problem. The caveats of impedance per channel etc apply (no less than 4 ohms) and so long as you don't want to power great subs everything should be fine. Used mine at a few backyard parties and bbq's as well as covering PA and monitor duties in bands when we've had shortages of amps.

Back
Top Bottom