Matrix alternative? Possibly 1U?

sbc

I have a a Matrix GT800FX, I've tried it with all of my cabs. (even my emperor 6x12)
It simply does not push air at all even when maxed. It sounds great but when I play live with a drummer I cannot hear myself at all.
I have had insanely bad luck trying to amplify my Axefx.
I simply want to push air.

That's very strange. I have a GT1000 and I would never max it, otherwise it'd turn my speakers inside out, or launch my cab into orbit, one of the two. I have it set at about halfway with the Axe output set at around a third for most gigs. That's mighty loud even at that. Any higher, and people start to complain vehemently...

I've tried it bridged and stereo and it's just WEAK. I don't understand. I have a 100 watt solid state head and I can't turn it up past 2. I have an Axefx and I want to use it live without the 4 cable method.

I have a GT1000FX and I run mine bridged at about 11 o'clock and output level at 12 o'clock on my AX8 and it is very loud. 106db at the speaker. Very small movement toward 12 o'clock and the volume jumps up very quickly. Can't even imagine it at 3 o'clock.......

I have a GT1000FX and I run mine bridged at about 11 o'clock and output level at 12 o'clock on my AX8 and it is very loud. 106db at the speaker. Very small movement toward 12 o'clock and the volume jumps up very quickly. Can't even imagine it at 3 o'clock.......

so sell the 800 and get a 1000?

I couldn't get enough volume from my Gt1000fx until I made my presets louder.

I have checked, I record with it all the time. I assure you it has nothing to do with the volume of the Axefx or the presets.

Something doesn't sound right ... I too have a GT1000FX (the difference in 800W and 1000W is fairly negligible) and I run the amp knobs @ ~ 1:00-2:00, with the AXEFX output knob on the front at around 11:00-Noon. I use a pedal to control volume and that leaves tons of headroom. If the blue lights start blinking on the Matrix, then it's getting up there (read: way too loud), and I run stereo. Bridged would blow everything in the room. Are you getting to the clipping lights on the Matrix? (IIRC, they're -12db from the limit)

Suggest you call Matrix?

EDIT/AFTERTHOUGHT - are you sure you're not limiting the volume somewhere with midi/controller through the AXE analogue outs? And, which outs are you using?

Also, did you buy new or used?

Have you tried connecting via the Neutrik connectors into the Matrix (vs. the 1/4")

Last edited:
Reactions: sbc
Something doesn't sound right ... I too have a GT1000FX (the difference in 800W and 1000W is fairly negligible) and I run the amp knobs @ ~ 1:00, with the AXEFX output knob on the front at around 11:00. I use a pedal to control volume and that leaves tons of headroom. If the blue lights start blinking on the Matrix, then it's getting up there (read: way too loud), and I run stereo. Bridged would blow everything in the room.

Suggest you call Matrix?

EDIT/AFTERTHOUGHT - are you sure you're not limiting the volume somewhere with midi/controller through the AXE analogue outs?

Agreed - I have a 1000FX with a 2x12 and EV12L's - if the light starts blinking, its waay too loud. I keep the amp at around 1:00 and volume on the axe around 9 or 10:00. its plenty loud.
One thing I found that really affected my tone was the wiring of the speakers. When I first going the cabinet, I had 2 8 ohm speakers wired in series - for a 16 ohm load. I recently switched to parallel for a 4 ohm load - totally changed my tone for the better and more power. Maybe check the wiring of your cabinet ? just spit balling here....

If you check the VU meter under the Utility page and your preset is at 0 db, then put the axe volume at 12 o'clock and the matrix at 12 o'clock and you still can't hear, then something is definitely wrong. when I use those settings, you can't even hear the drummer. lol

I'm guessing something is definitely wrong with my Matrix. I've tried all of your suggestions before. Thanks for the feedback.

• Are you ever seeing the clipping lights on the Matrix?
  • Also, which outs on the AXE are you using?
  • Did you really try a Neutrik connector? There have been issues with the Matrix output connectors.

A radioshack 1/4 inch cable is a speaker cable right? ^____________________________^
i wouldn't have a clue mate, just trying to suggestion a reason for low output at the speakers. Having spoken to Mr Hunt he strongly advises the use of a proper speaker cable. Instrument cables have a higher resistance..

Back
Top Bottom