Matric GT800fx - for those with Fan noise concerns, and some "flat" Axe EQ clips

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
I thought it would be best to start a new thread on this. The other threads are getting long, and this post might get lost.

i know there are a few people out there with concerns over the fan noise on the Matrix. I did an A/B/C with the Axe, the Matrix XT800 and the VHT - however it was far from perfect. The camera "calibrates" itself for noise level, so when the VHT kicked in, the camera de-sensitised itsdelf and it appeared the Matrix was no quieter - when in fact it is. Its about half the volume. Yes its still more than the Axe, and the Art SLAs, but really not that intrusuve.

If you recording, it could be too much - but then your going to be goin gdirect for that, not using the Axe. When using what is an 800W amp - theres bound to be some fan noise, but even at bedroom levels when your playing, you really cant hear the fans.

Anyway - I put a clip together. This has the Matrix fan running throughout the video. I talk some nonsense to start with - then go close to the Matrix so you can hear the fans - then play over the top. I dont play loud - its quiet enough for me to play when the kids are asleep (just) - Its not whisper levels but I think typical "quiet" levels for this amp.

YouTube - ‪GT800fx fan Noise x264‬‏

I also though Id knock up a couple more clips while I was doing this. The Matrix is in the rack - and I have now tweeked my patches for that amp. I have 2 O/Ps set so one is has a flat EQ (for live) and the other has a "compensated" EQ to take into effect the Fletcher-Munson curve. I use this secom d out when in the house. For these vids I cranked it up a little - but due to the limitations of my surround sound system it doesnt get "that" loud - consequently I was caught between two ideals. Its not really loud enough for the flat EQ - but too loud for my EQ cureve. I went for flat as I wanted to show what the Matrix did with no EQ help fromthe Axe. Theres no PEQs, GEQs or filters in the patches - and the global is flat as Ive said.

The First is a Bluesy clip because there arnt too many of those around. The second is higher gain - buit a melodic kind of track - not chug chug for sure.

Anyway - excuse the playing - it was too early for me (while the wife was at work :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUob9GMtBMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Ks4eR74DA

Last edited:
Nice job Paul,

I did back last year a measurement A/B with the Art Sla 2 and the XT-800. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/31517-review-matrix-xt-800-vs-art-sla-2-winner.html There I stated that a simple measurement with an iTouch app read + 4 dB at 1 meter against the ART SLA 2. So back then it was 56 dB for the ART and 60 dB for the XT800. Doing it now for the GT800FX it is 52 dB at 1 meter. So we have.

XT800: 60 dB
ART SLA 2: 56 dB
GT800FX: 52 dB
Axe-Fx Ultra: 49 dB (with silent fans)

This means that the GT800FX is more silent then the ART. And if you have an Itouch or Iphone simple download the free app. And do a test and see for yourself. And remember every +3 dB is a doubling in auditory intensity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom