Mateus Asato and other social media players - does a discography exist?

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
Fully understanding that I'm of a different era...but it seems unnecessarily difficult to assemble a listening session for someone like Mateus. He is widely lauded and I enjoy seeing him play on YT/IG. I'd love to put on some tracks to listen to while walking/working/etc. But in his case, he seems to have very little in the way of released recorded material. The streaming services mostly have singles that he's played on for other artists. I realize could go through and identify YT videos and put together my own playlist of those, but those are often camera audio / compressed audio. I just want to be able to fire up Apple Music and play his stuff in hi-res audio. Waa! :p

Is it a modern marketing strategy for a guy like him not to make studio recordings and focus almost exclusively on social media? In an age where everyone with a laptop has a recording studio at their fingertips, it'd be nice to have some nicely recorded things as well. I love seeing the YT/IG content as much as anyone, but it's nice to be able to hear people on a "proper" recording as well that can be accessed either via CD or streaming services.

Maybe I'm missing his recordings or something else - please let me know!

and focus almost exclusively on social media?
Last I thought I heard (some months ago) was that he took a break from social media and/or grew a distaste for it...
When I saw him on Tim's show (or was it Beato's), my impression was he's still relatively new...? Seemed he was more of an internet hype that got picked up for his IG posts.

Today's stage is interesting. Advent of social media and the hoards of amazing home guitarists out there and from that rises a guy like Mateus. I'm trying to equate what makes a modern guitar player famous to my frame of reference which was bands who were often framed around an amazing player/virtuoso. The band was the platform. It seems my frame of reference may no longer be valid today. Will be interesting to see what happens in the decades to come

Today's stage is interesting. Advent of social media and the hoards of amazing home guitarists out there and from that rises a guy like Mateus. I'm trying to equate what makes a modern guitar player famous to my frame of reference which was bands who were often framed around an amazing player/virtuoso. The band was the platform. It seems my frame of reference may no longer be valid today. Will be interesting to see what happens in the decades to come
Very much so, especially since music has been devalued as much as it has. It's already not profitable to be a rock musician, when there is no reward, it will change who's playing the game.

Asato actually plays a lot of live shows, I think with Bruno Mars, dunno if with others. His chops are incredible and if Rick Beato brings him to his channel and praises him it is almost enough for me.

These are not the times of great (new) bands anymore I am afraid, I like to take the best of both worlds.

Mateus was already making a living as a hired gun long before he got any kind of notoriety via social media. I think that people sometimes forget that many of these "social media musicians" are actual working musicians who just start uploading stuff online for fun, and some of them then get some traction via those platforms.

All comes down to songs. Can be the best player in the world, no songs... no dice.
Does he not have (much) original material? I thought some of the songs he posted were original stuff, but perhaps not - I'll have to dig into that more.

We all know that album sales and streams bring in precious little nowadays, but most artists seem to strive to put something in every bucket to survive - albums/streams, live shows, merch, guest spots, social media, etc.

Maybe he just spends his time getting amazing at playing guitar and not working on recordings. That's a good investment too. :)

Back
Top Bottom