Matchless Independence?

larvelljones

New to AxeFX. Purchased, but not yet received…. In my current live rig, I use a matchless independence with matching 1x12 cab. I'm trying to match that as closely as possible. What models have folks used to get in the neighborhood?

I don't know this amp well enough to know what would be a good comp for each channel, but you could certainly mess with different amp types and assign your amp channels to something that resembles them.

You can tone match your cab, which will get you in the ballpark pretty quickly if you can find the right amp models to match.

The wiki link below is a comprehensive list of amps, a good place to start would be trying out all the EL34 amps.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

From a cursory search of the interwebs, the Independence is supposedly a take on plexi Marshalls. There are quite a few plexi based models in the Axe-FX, so I'd suggest starting with those. Also, read up on the tone match feature. If you can dial in a model to be close to your amp, you should be able to do a tone match to help make up the difference.

If you're unable to find a close enough match with the models in the Axe III, try the Tone Match feature. There's guide as well as tutorials online that will walk you through the process.

I just watched a video on the Matchless Independence. Great amp. There are 4 Matchless models in the Axe FX, they are called Matchbox in the Axe FXIII. The Matchless Independence has EL34's instead of EL84's, but you can change to the tube type you want in the Axe FXIII. So I'd start by trying each of the Matchless models then changing the tube type to EL34. Then I'd create three channels with increasing levels of drive like you have on the Matchless Independence. You might have to boost the input gain or add input boost to get as much gain as there is on the Matchless Independence.

You could also use the Axe FXIII for effects only in the loop of your real Matchess Independence.

Back
Top Bottom