Matchless (Boutique 2) - pushed a bit

Genghis

Power User
Hi all,
Haven't posted anything new in a while, but I finally got around to recording my "new" acoustic through the Axe-FX and then put some melodic licks over it with my Warmoth through a Matchless (Boutique 2) patch pushed with a bit of tube drive. Of course the bass was done through the Axe-FX as well.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8404437

Good stuff mate :) Nice mix.

Sounds quite natural.

If I was to suggest anything maybe consider where you apply vibrato on some of the sustained notes - it can make them speak really nicely in the kind of piece you have recorded.

How did you pull the bass sound?

Steve.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I need to work on my vibrato because I find myself falling into kind of a sameness and I'd like to learn to vary the tempo and depth more. Plus I've been playing a lot of guitar synth lately and avoiding vibrato for better tracking, so it's kind of gotten me out of the habit if you know what I mean.

That bass sound is actually more of an elaborate patch than most of my guitar patches. I was trying to emulate what I like to do in a bigger studio where you might mic up a bass rig and take a direct line and mix the two. I used very light studio compression first, then split to the SVT going through both the 8x10 and the 1x15, then into a PEQ... the other chain goes into the Tube Preamp and bypasses the cab, then goes into it's own PEQ. Finally they all come together into the multiband compressor. I have a couple of different bass patches like this... one for the cleaner stuff like this track and one where the SVT has some grit for playing heavier music.

SteveTurner said:
Good stuff mate :) Nice mix.

Sounds quite natural.

If I was to suggest anything maybe consider where you apply vibrato on some of the sustained notes - it can make them speak really nicely in the kind of piece you have recorded.

How did you pull the bass sound?

Steve.

Yes, I agree that you need to use vibrato technique. Without it, the playing sounds leaden and emotionless.

Back
Top Bottom