Matching real pedals: EHX Small Stone v2 phaser, DOD FX75-B flanger, Ibanez DDL delay, JHS Bonsai (TS808)

aens

Experienced
Posting this to the Axe FX III forums since these blocks should work with III as well.

These are a few real life pedals that I really like. I've matched some of these before, but because of the new phaser and flanger updates I had to rematch them. After the phaser and flanger updates the results are much better than before!

Blocks included. Don't be afraid to give some feedback :cool:

EHX Small Stone phaser (V2)

This has been my favourite phaser for a long time. I used to emulate this with the Stereo 8-stage phaser model before the phaser update, but it has changed since. For my very pleasant surprise Naughty Rock model was just a few clicks away until I got close enough. Now Fractal can add these settings as a Small Stone model. YW.

I can't tell a difference between the model and real pedal. Only the noise (it's a noisy pedal) coming from the real pedal gives it away. Only exception is the Rate in the real pedal that goes beyond 10kHz which makes a cool bubbly or ring modulator kind of sound you can't emulate with Fractal model because of the rate limitation. Lowest Rate is somewhere around 0.8kHz. The real pedal also has a Color switch which IIRC adds feedback to the sound. Just add feedback (around 70%) to emulate the Color switch and decide whether you like it or not.

DOD FX75-B Stereo flanger

Me and many others think this flanger is something special. These flangers had a rather unpleasant price bump lately because of some positive Youtube reviews (Reverb, JHS etc.). It's quite easy to dial in and it has this beautiful feedback going on (think of Robin Trower's In City Dreams or Kingston Wall's III).

I've been tweaking this for hours, but I’m still not quite there yet. It sounds like there is some phasing, warble or chorusing in the lower frequencies I can't replicate. Could be a special LFO waveshape or phasing caused by the right channel (not entirely sure how the the stereo outputs work on this pedal). I've matched the values from the DOD manual which had rate and delay range specs (exact numbers don't sound accurate), but still no luck. The real pedal is noisy and sounds like it's saturating high frequencies. Rate in real pedal goes around 0.085kHz to around 5.8kHz. With my settings the pedal turns into a lusty chorus/vibrato when you turn the rate higher. I'm in love with this sound.

Ibanez DDL delay

This is my go-to delay in front of an amp. It was an easy match. Just use the Vintage Digital Delay and try lowering the hight cut to 6k. It's spot on.

JHS Bonsai (TS808 mode)

I recently learned that the Fractal TS808 model is actually matched to TS808 instead of TS9 (which makes total sense). I didn't think it would require this much tweaking, but I guess the Bonsai might have different potentiometers and of course the real pedals both JHS and Fractal have matched their models are different. This can just be because of different potentiometers or any artistic choices made by Josh from JHS.

To my surprise the Fractal model has more Drive and Level compared to the JHS model (drive at 4 on Fractal model equals drive at 6 on JHS). Level is also higher in Fractal model. Who cares, just use your ears!

Attachments

• EHX Small Stone V2_20200612_232958.blk
    467 bytes · Views: 48
  • DOD FX75-B_20200616_020401.blk
    471 bytes · Views: 42
  • JHS Bonsai TS808_20200616_020420.blk
    537 bytes · Views: 42
  • Ibanez DDL_20200616_020440.blk
    949 bytes · Views: 38
Hi everyone sorry about the answer. Can i use that blocks in my axe fx 2?
Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately no. Axe FX II is missing the latest phaser and flanger updates.

You can try one of these phaser blocks I've made for Axe FX II. I can't check which one of these is the correct one because I've sold mine. One of them should be a 8-stage Stereo Phaser and it's really close to the original pedal.

Attachments

• EHX Small Stone_20150623_005245.blk
    231 bytes · Views: 9
  • Small Stone Phase.blk
    228 bytes · Views: 9
Any idea why I'm reporting an error when using the III block. I'm using III with latest 14.01 FW with latest Axe Edit.

Getting: The block's device Id did not match the connected device's Id

My mistake these were in the AxeFX III forum and saw it's for FM3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom