Matching cab to amp

Hello dear community,

first i have to say i love my axe fx3 :)
since cygnus it got even better, very very cool.
Fractal, thank you a lot... :cool:

This is my first fractal product and i have no significant experience with real amps.

I have problems to find the "matching" cab to the chosen amp.
For example, i like to play my Fender '60s Tele with the Deluxe Tweed.
I know its an Fender amp (with the list the exact one), but which cab without trying all 1024 is mentioned to be the right one?
I dont need only one, but some hints that makes it easier.
I know the difference depending on the mics.

Hope somone could explain to me :D

greetings
max

Open the Cab Picker window in the Cab block and in the text window (top right), type in a portion of the amp name like "tweed" or "deluxe" and it should give you a list of cabs that match the amp. Most of the amps will have corresponding IRs with part of the amp name used but there are some that do not (Suhr is one that comes to mind). In those cases, I research the cab/speakers that the manufacturer and most people use or recommend for the amp and find an IR that closely matches what I discover and want to try.

The Axe Fx II Wiki is a great resource for discovering what amps, cabs and effects are actually modelled in the Axe III. https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

Thanks a lot to all of you :)

The possibilities are a bit overwhelming, but I know what to do now.

The idea with the suggested cabs would be great for a beginner like me.
In a year or two, maybe its not necessary any more.

there's a thread on here "what is your favorite cab" that only lists stock cabs, that I've found REALLY helpful. for some reason I can't link it, but it's worth the search.

Wow, that detail is incredible - how to heck (pardon my French) did Yek compile This information - and with images to boot!!!???? ??seriously bra?

also does this now still aptly apply to Cygnus??

that’s so interesting. Does the Recto1 for example also refer to the presets sold
By SUS for example??

You also don’t have to match the cab. The speaker impedance curve in the amp block actually provides a lot of the cabinet/speaker character. For playing live, I’ve found sticking with one cab gives my tone the right type of consistency when I switch amps. (I’ve found switching IRs can sometimes throw off the mix and be a little disorienting live.)

Thanks, @maxpower182! I had the same question and have been just picking cabs that seemed close. But running the amp with matching cab seems like a good starting point.

Another trick, once you are trying to select through 20 different combinations, is to use a looper and then use your ears to hone in on a selection. Great video here by @2112

Back
Top Bottom