AFIII Matching a Klon Centaur

Good video and thread this, thanks @camilovelandiamusic!

My personal fav Axe-FX version of the Klon would probably be the one camilovelandiamusic has dialled in for this video, however that said, pretty much every time I have heard a Klon in person/on YT it has sounded different. I don't actually know what a Klon sounds like because everyone dials it in differently and uses it for different reasons.

Good video and thread this, thanks @camilovelandiamusic!

My personal fav Axe-FX version of the Klon would probably be the one camilovelandiamusic has dialled in for this video, however that said, pretty much every time I have heard a Klon in person/on YT it has sounded different. I don't actually know what a Klon sounds like because everyone dials it in differently and uses it for different reasons.

That is pretty true with any pedal or amp, or even Axe preset

One person thinks something is perfect, another guy, different guitar or pickups etc, tries it and says it’s totally wrong.

How you set a pedal, what you play into it, what pedals are after it, what amp, how you set that amp, etc are all going to vary things, as can tolerance differences on two of the same type of pedal.

Whose forum examples were you using?

Your settings sound close enough for government work for me. I think a lot of the Klon hype is just mysticism -- you feel like it's extra special because everyone says its extra special.

I felt like there was some kind of extra overtones or something with the real pedal, but overall very close.

It seemed like like the pedal was also getting a little harmonic or feedback as the strings were unmuted to strum? I didn't notice this with the model.

Cool... And thanks for sharing!

Finally got around to trying these settings on my main preset. Sounds just absolutely wonderful. I keep playing my guitar a bit, stepping away for a while, coming back and comparing to what I had before, adding it back, etc... just to make sure I'm not hearing things lol. Saved in my block library as the 'CV Klon'. This is going to be used a lot!

Thanks! @camilovelandiamusic

Thanks guys! Im glad that the hours I put in were useful to you all!! I actually did some sessions where I left it on the entire time because I hadnt noticed it was on and then sounded empty when I shut it ff

I watched the entire video and agree that Camilo did a stellar job of simulating the tone of that mystical Klon Centaur (at least through my PC speakers). I slavishly copied his exact settings and admit to being fairly underwhelmed at the result. It sounded good but when I switched to my trusty RC Boost drive block, BAM! It sounded so much better IMO. I've never tried an actual Klon Centaur but I trust that Camilo pretty much nailed it in his video. Based on this experience I'm thinking that the pedal is a bit over-hyped. I agree with iaresee in post #23 above.

Great starting point Camilo, very close indeed!
I modified your settings slightly after comparing with my Klons. I've build 2 Klon clones and used different clipping diodes which means that the settings on the pedal don't always match exactly. I think that a lot of Klon pedals behave differently altogether.

The touch and feel come a lot closer with your settings. There's something to the mids of the Klon that aren't reproduced exactly yet. IMO an exact match isn't really necessary because musically this is perfectly useable!

@camilovelandiamusic you should try this with the new drive modeling!
I know! Too bad that Klon was borrowed and was sold already! however the Archer Klon clone, which I had at the same time as the real Klon, sounded 99% identical. I noticed a subtle difference in the "Output" knob, where the real Klon felt like it was putting out 1-2dB more than the clone, but as far as the color it was the same. Maybe i'll pick up one of those and try to match it!

I tried this on my FM3. Not all FET boost settings are the same between Axe3 and FM3 but most are there. Sounds good to my ears but as I have never owned an actual Klon I can't really compare. My only pedal of this type is a Tumnus Deluxe which I love, especially for stacking before other drives. You did a great job of matching, your block sounds identical to the Klon.

Maybe someday we'll get an official Klon block lol.

Back
Top Bottom