Matchbox D-30 Preamp Bias (FW10)

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
After finally playing around with Firmware 10, I notice that the default Preamp Bias for the Matchbox D-30 is -0.400. But in all of my presets from FW9, the Preamp Bias for that model is set to (+)0.400. The difference in tone is significant. I don't typically adjust advanced settings so I'm wondering - was the default incorrect before, or is it incorrect now?

Aside from Preamp Bias, a fresh Matchbox block now sounds "thin" compared to several other amps in the category (AC-20, Class-A 15W TB, Class-A 30W TB, FAS Class-A). Maybe worth a check?

The Fenders all sound amazing (especially the 5E3), as does the Class-A 15W TB.

Good catch,.. interesting for sure. Since I work on amps and mod them and other gear, I typically will tweak pretty much everything especially when I'm creating a patch from scratch with a "new" amp... just got to twist those knobs and see what she does! :D

I need to check this on my AX8 when i get home! I use this amp model when playing live at church.

I'm so glad you posted this. I have spent the last week or so trying to figure out why my DC patches created for worship have sounded a bit lifeless. It was different, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Last night I took screen shots of all the advanced settings to compare with my previous settings on a prior firmware and noticed this was different. I made the change and it does make an audible difference. In all the tweaking I've done, I've made some changes to the EQ and preamp sag that improved the tone as well, so not all a lost cause.

Really hoping some day we get an updated amp model for a jumped AC30. There are a ton of P&W guitarist that would come to the fractal camp if this was offered and demo'd correctly. I suggest @jlynnb1 to handle that job. ;)

Last edited:
I'm so glad you posted this. I have spent the last week or so trying to figure out why my DC patches created for worship have sounded a bit lifeless. It was different, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Last night I took screen shots of all the advanced settings to compare with my previous settings on a prior firmware and noticed this was different. I made the change and it does make an audible difference. In all the tweaking I've done, I've made some changes to the EQ and preamp sag that improved the tone as well, so not all a lost cause.

Really hoping some day we get an updated amp model for a jumped AC30. There are a ton of P&W guitarist that would come to the fractal camp if this was offered and demo'd correctly. I suggest @jlynnb1 to handle that job. ;)
I'm down...I'm sort of the Fractal prophet in the worship world, lol

Just went back and forth between the right and wrong value, also adjusting level. The new value is fuller and more chimey. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom