Mastermind LT Phantom Power via Axefx 2

claxor

Power User
For the Mastermind LT owners:

Can the supplied power plug for the Mastermind LT be plugged into the rear of the Axefx 2 to provide phantom power to the Mastermind LT via midi?

Thanks!

I just looked up out of my own curiosity, according to the Axe Fx 2 manual:

WARNING! Do not connect an AC adapter with a rating higher than 1A to the Phantom Power jack. Doing so will damage your Axe-Fx II.

And according to the specs on the Mastermind LT, not to be confused with the Mastermind GT /22 or 16.
The LT only draws 150mA which should not be a problem, but would run it by Fractal support anyway

On the power supply for the LT, what does it say for output?

Honestly, I still wouldn't do it. It's pretty sensitive diode and more than a few people have blown it trying to run their phantom power through it for a non-Fractal footswitch.

I have one of these cables, and ran several brands of midi pedals through it over the years with no issue. I even ran my MMGT 22 through it when I first got it, and it worked, though I wasn't comfortable with it due to the power draw of the MMGT and the small conductor size of the Rocktron cable. I now use a RJM phantom power box and a heavy BTPA 7 pin midi cable, and have the Rocktron cable as a backup. I'm sure it would be fine on the LT.

Can't find one that is less than 30 feet long... (for having all of this in the rack)

The cable is not all that bulky, and rather to much than not enough (as far as data) audio that's different.
I think some of your choices might be:
Order the cable and live with it a few weeks and if you find it to long take it to a local tech to shorten it. A local guy can probably just build you one also, but it will be more than $20.
Or
Order the box from RJM this way you have your choice of midi cable lengths, but keep in mind its going to require space in your rack, the box is roughly the same size as a stomp box and you are going to have three connections coming out of it 1) the power supply 2) midi to your Mastermind LT 3) midi to the Axe Fx
Or
Write Fractal support, tell them you have a Mastermind LT, tell them the device draws 150mA (as per there website)and tell them the output for the power supply that came with the LT (something you did not get back to us on :)) You may get Fractals blessing to use it the way you want!

The cable is still my vote as @iaresee pointed out the power supply is going through a few diodes, better to be safe. (unless Fractal states otherwise) I was not aware of this till it was pointed out,

John

It appears that the power adapter for the LT has these specs: Input: 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz Output: 9VDC @ 1000mA

The connector is: 5.5mm OD, 2.1mm ID x 9.5mm barrel connector (BOSS-style) Either polarity

So, it appears that 1) the power adapter for the LT has too much output for the Axefx 2 to handle? and 2) the connector won't fit in the Axefx 2 anyway.

I'm guessing that the BTPA 5-7 midi with power cable (2.1mm X 5.5mm DC jack) is the best way to do this then?

https://btpa.com/MIDI57B-XX.html

So, it appears that 1) the power adapter for the LT has too much output for the Axefx 2 to handle? and 2) the connector won't fit in the Axefx 2 anyway.
Yea, the power brick is over spec'ed for the LT but you never know -- it might draw a peak current in the 1A range and that is definitely too much for that little power diode.

I'm guessing that the BTPA 5-7 midi with power cable (2.1mm X 5.5mm DC jack) is the best way to do this then?

https://btpa.com/MIDI57B-XX.html
Absolutely. You can't go wrong with BTPA cables.

Back
Top Bottom