Mastering Suggestions?

Fro

Experienced
Who are you using for mastering these days? It's been about 8 years since my band has released anything, and just wondering what's out there these days. We're working on a live album, a new studio album, plus some things that we recorded years ago that we are finally getting around to finishing. We'll press a few CDs, but mostly online sales through CD Baby and their distribution to iTunes, etc. I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Hi Fro. You can check out T-RackS (Mulitmedia) mastering software. This will work only if you have decent reference monitors. I have used the mastering suite at Fantasy Records (George Horn) but George retired. I also released a solo CD using Jeff Sanders (CSN, Stevie Wonder, REO Speedwagon, and a bunch of others). Last I heard from Jeff he was in Merced CA. Not sure if he is even working anymore. The most recent projects I did, I mastered myself using T-RackS mastering software.

Not sure if this is very helpful for your situation. I think T-RackS is worth looking into. It is not cheap software, but costs way less than having it mastered at a professional studio. I mixed and mastered the album "Rejuvenation" by Mark Bowers. Rejuvenation is a new age CD that gets a lot of airplay on the new age stations. I used Pro Tools for recording and mixing, then used T-RackS for mastering. As with any project, you want it to sound as good as you can get it to sound, but weigh the costs of getting it there.

I wish you the best of luck with your CD project.

Hi Fro. You can check out T-RackS (Mulitmedia) mastering software. This will work only if you have decent reference monitors. I have used the mastering suite at Fantasy Records (George Horn) but George retired. I also released a solo CD using Jeff Sanders (CSN, Stevie Wonder, REO Speedwagon, and a bunch of others). Last I heard from Jeff he was in Merced CA. Not sure if he is even working anymore. The most recent projects I did, I mastered myself using T-RackS mastering software.

Not sure if this is very helpful for your situation. I think T-RackS is worth looking into. It is not cheap software, but costs way less than having it mastered at a professional studio. I mixed and mastered the album "Rejuvenation" by Mark Bowers. Rejuvenation is a new age CD that gets a lot of airplay on the new age stations. I used Pro Tools for recording and mixing, then used T-RackS for mastering. As with any project, you want it to sound as good as you can get it to sound, but weigh the costs of getting it there.

I wish you the best of luck with your CD project.

Hey Geezerjohn. That does help. I thought about looking into trying it myself. I don't know if I trust my ears, but I wouldn't mine experimenting with it even if it's just for learning purposes. It would give me an excuse to upgrade my speakers too.

We've used Rodney Mills in the past (Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special) and have been very happy with the results. We may go back to him, I just know that he's busy. I figured it wouldn't hurt to research alternatives.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom