Master Volume VS. Master Volume Trim

I use Master Volume trim to get more power amp distortion out of a JCM 800 as the 50 W model seems to match my real 100 W JCM800 better with a higher master volume. I currently use it at 2. Also try setting it to 0.5 on a JTM. It opens up the amp nicely.

I use Master Volume trim to get more power amp distortion out of a JCM 800 as the 50 W model seems to match my real 100 W JCM800 better with a higher master volume. I currently use it at 2. Also try setting it to 0.5 on a JTM. It opens up the amp nicely.
I'm using the Vibra-King amp block.

They have the same effect. If you aren't setting MV to 10 and needing even more MV, you probably don't need to worry about MV trim.

It's become standard for me to set the master volume on all amps to 10.
YMMV but I wouldn't do that.

Master Volume
(Owners Manual) “The almighty Master Volume is a very important control. It determines the distortion and dynamics characteristics of the power amp simulator, and its setting at any moment can dramatically change the amp’s sound. As it is turned up, the tone controls will have less influence, and the sound will have more “bloom” and touch sensitivity. Settings for Master don’t necessarily correspond to knob positions on the amp being modeled. With a little experimentation, you will learn to dial in different great sounding Input Drive and Master combinations.
When you select an amp type, the Master will change to an appropriate/typical setting for that amp. If a real amp doesn’t have a Master, the “correct” setting will be applied i.e. “10”, or “wide open.”
  • At high settings, less Input Drive is usually required, especially for high-gain types.
  • Amps designed for preamp distortion will typically sound great with the Master set low to prevent the tone becoming muddy or noisy. This includes the “USA Lead” types and others.
  • Amps with negative feedback tend to have “crunchier” power amp distortion, which can get “raspy” when driven too hard. Experiment with the interactivity of Negative Feedback and Master on distortion tone.

Your mileage may vary: It's a disclaimer that results/satisfaction level might be different for every person.

Back
Top Bottom