Master Volume and Cabs

prometh

Power User
Do amp master volumes still affect cab blocks? Trying to find the best place to lower volume

Default is -12db. If it clips the output leds, lower it.if it is too low at -12db, increase it. Strum hard to check if it clips.

Wouldn't lowering the cab be more ideal so that the interaction between the amp and cab remains the same?

What's the best way to determine the output level based on master volume changes?

I think the only nonlinear part in the cab block is motor drive. If you're using that, the drive amount varies with input level and you might want to adjust at the cab. If not, amp level will give the same result. This all assumes you don't have nonlinear things like drive/compression/ducking later in the chain.

I never mess with motor drive. All u need to mess with in the ab block is low cut, and room level if you are using headphones.
You might be overthinking it.
Just leave master dimed if its a non master volume amp. And adjust level on the amp block to taste.
You can make individual scene level output adjusments later on.

What would be the ideal dB level going into a cab block from an amp block?
Don't sweat internal levels. There's almost 1500 dB of dynamic range internally. There's no way to measure internal levels, anyway.

The signal level coming out of a block depends on more than just its Level setting. It's also affected by how that block is processing the signal, how its other levels are set (e.g., Input Drive and Master), and how much signal is going into the block.

Just dial in what sounds right, and you're done.

By the way, there are no nonlinearities in the Cab block. The Motor Drive parameter models a speaker's change in frequency response as it gets hit harder. Again, dial it in until it sounds right.

By the way, there are no nonlinearities in the Cab block. The Motor Drive parameter models a speaker's change in frequency response as it gets hit harder. Again, dial it in until it sounds right.

Motor drive is nonlinear. It compresses/distorts more with higher input levels.

Cliff said:
The cab block is level dependent if the Motor Drive is non-zero. So if you turn up/down the level out of the amp block you may need to compensate by doing the opposite with the Motor Drive.

Motor drive is nonlinear. It compresses/distorts more with higher input levels.
You're right. Compression is a form of distortion. I'd forgotten that...temporarily... :)
The Motor Drive will cause compression if not set to zero (as it models driver compression). Otherwise the cab block is completely linear and will not cause any compression.

Well you should. It can make a patch really come alive man.

Will do then. There so much parameters, and lately with all the updates, I've been trying to keep it simple, and try to play as much as I can.
I've realized that there's less need for tweaking now as it was back in the day.

Cliff mentioned that he never messed with certain parameters, I do the same. It would be great to have a detailed parameter guide, for dummies of course, since after 17 years of playing, and never owning a tube amp before, it gets pretty cryptic.

Will do then. There so much parameters, and lately with all the updates, I've been trying to keep it simple, and try to play as much as I can.
I've realized that there's less need for tweaking now as it was back in the day.

Cliff mentioned that he never messed with certain parameters, I do the same. It would be great to have a detailed parameter guide, for dummies of course, since after 17 years of playing, and never owning a tube amp before, it gets pretty cryptic.
Did you see the jma's Amps & Cabs Quick Reference ? It could satisfy you ;)

Well, I mean different strokes for different folks, you know? You may find that you HATE motor drive. I know for a fact that Scott Peterson dislikes motor drive, and there's no arguing with that guy's epic grasp of getting the tones he wants out of the box.

Here's the amp wiki:

AMP (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

For what it's worth, I don't really screw around with advanced amp/cab parameters. Sometimes I'll do it just for fun, but as the FW has gotten on I've come to prefer stock settings on a lot of the stuff. For me, I've found that the fastest workflow is to do the following:

1. Pick a couple IRs that I know I'm going to like and put them into a stereo cab summed mono and adjust volume of two IRs until satisfied with balance (for example - if using SM57 with R121, R121 will need to be reduced in volume)
2. Pick amp
3. Set thunk and motor drive to around 9 o' clock
4. Dial in preset with standard controls
5. Adjust thunk and motor drive to desired taste

After that, it's usually just a matter of adjusting some frequency content with maybe a PEQ after the cab block, or maybe as simple as using the cab low and hi cut to get rid of the "useless" material - anything below 60 Hz and anything above 10,000 Hz. Since I'm using the Axe-fx II for recording, I actually prefer to keep most of the sonic content in tact, making cuts as needed for the mix in the DAW. Some guys like to record with a MBC on. Some guys like to record so that they don't have to EQ anything out once they get the signal recorded. It's all a matter of preference at that point.

Wouldn't lowering the cab be more ideal so that the interaction between the amp and cab remains the same?

What's the best way to determine the output level based on master volume changes?

Either will work, but I find the amp level to be the best !
I always set up a boosted lead patch ( generally boost leads 3 to 4 db and bring it up to blink clip light ,then back off amp level till no clipping , usually 3 db does it. then set my volume for the rythm patches!

Back
Top Bottom