Master template and using parallel effects

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
A while back I created a Master Template with everything I would normally use. I use it as a starting point when I create a new preset and usually just change the amp and cab, and if needed maybe the settings on a few of the effects. It makes it much faster when creating new presets.

How many of you created a Master Template to start from when you create a new preset?

I understand the basics of parallel effects, but I currently have my master template set up without any parallel effects.

If you use a master template I’d love to see screenshots of it so I can see how you are using parallel effects. I want to better understand when to use parallel effects.

I used a master template on the Axe Fx II and much of it was made up of global blocks.

Since getting the Axe Fx III, I've pretty much been using just a couple presets, although I will occasionally change the preset to experiment, and save if it I like the results.

I'm not using any parallel effects currently... Although my Reverb is set to maintain the dry level (similar to parallel).

I have a master template as my starting point for any new preset.
It contains my volume block, assigned to an exp. pedal, my cab IR (of my own cab), a filter block for solo boost, output 2 block for my amp and cab, etc. These are the blocks which are always present in any of my presets. I have other blocks saved in my library such as delays etc. which I place in parallel, but I only use those if the preset / song requires it.

i only use parallel routing when i need an effect to NOT be processed by anything else, or if i specifically want an effect to be processed by something else.

case 1: i want delay, but i don't want it to go into reverb. so i put the delay in parallel, away from the reverb

case 2: i want only delay repeats to be affected by a tremolo or drive effect. so i put the delay in parallel and put the trem or drive block after that.

in basically all parallel setups, the block Mix needs to be set to 100%, so you aren't mixing in more dry signal with the main row.

for almost any other situation, series routing works exactly the same as long as i want every block to process the blocks before it.

I use reverb & Delay in parallel & sometimes I’ll add in something after the verb or delay to effect the verb or delay. From time to time I’ll throw a parallel second clean Boost & drive. That way you can have different combos of clean boosts & drives, or run them together without them building up on each other.

I want to better understand when to use parallel effects.

A common usage for parallel paths is when you want to pan an effect to one side without panning the entire signal. You can't do that if the effect is placed in series. So, if I want to add reverb and delay, and I want the delay panned to the right and reverb panned to the left, I'd simply place the Reverb and Delay blocks on a parallel path and pan each to taste. The other advantage is that I can pan the main signal without affecting the balance of the Reverb and Delay.

You can also use paralel fx to set a block to be both pre and post amp with help of multiplexer, mixer block and send and returns. Let's say you have a Reverb Block. When its set to Plate it can be after the Amp-Cab and when it's set to Spring it can be before the Amp.

Its pretty handy for users who hit the CPU limit. Though you need to be careful not to cause a feedback loop which can damage your speakers!

A common usage for parallel paths is when you want to pan an effect to one side without panning the entire signal. You can't do that if the effect is placed in series. So, if I want to add reverb and delay, and I want the delay panned to the right and reverb panned to the left, I'd simply place the Reverb and Delay blocks on a parallel path and pan each to taste. The other advantage is that I can pan the main signal without affecting the balance of the Reverb and Delay.

Thanks. This is something I had not thought of and will definitely be trying.

You can also use paralel fx to set a block to be both pre and post amp with help of multiplexer, mixer block and send and returns. Let's say you have a Reverb Block. When its set to Plate it can be after the Amp-Cab and when it's set to Spring it can be before the Amp.

Its pretty handy for users who hit the CPU limit. Though you need to be careful not to cause a feedback loop which can damage your speakers!

Thanks. Great info. I'll be trying this also.

I experimented with parallel reverb and delays a few nights and have some questions.
So with parallel effects you should set the mix to 100%, then can control the actual mix of the effect with either the level or input gain.
Q1: Does it matter which you use (level or input gain)?
Q2: How do you control the overall volume of the delay or reverb block then?

I noticed with the multi-delay in parallel if you set the mix to 100% there is no dry signal at all no matter what you set the input gain to.

Last edited:
I experimented with parallel reverb and delays a few nights and have some questions.
So with parallel effects you should set the mix to 100%, then can control the actual mix of the effect with either the level or input gain.
Q1: Does it matter which you use (level or input gain)?
Q2: How do you control the overall volume of the delay or reverb block then?

I noticed with the multi-delay in parallel if you set the mix to 100% there is no dry signal at all no matter what you set the input gain to.

I always set the mix to 100% and use Level to control how much of the effect I want added to the signal. Many times the Level is sitting at -8 dB or more.

Last edited:
I use parallel effects for reverb and delays. I do this intentionally if I'm using two delays and I don't one to feed into the other. I will also run reverb in parallel if I want my dry signal to be intact when it reaches the output to give me a wet/dry/wet setup.

I use parallel effects for reverb and delays. I do this intentionally if I'm using two delays and I don't one to feed into the other. I will also run reverb in parallel if I want my dry signal to be intact when it reaches the output to give me a wet/dry/wet setup.
You can put Reverb in serial with Mix at 50% and Level at +3dB, then use Input Gain to control the mix. Identical sound to using it in parallel.

For the first time in my life I tried my delays and multi delays in parallel using the posts from this thread as a guideline, and I have to say, I maybe should have tried this like, uh, 30 YEARS AGO.........:oops: I A/B'd with my non parallel preset and it was amazing how much natural tone came thru the mix. I felt i could even increase the delay level without muddying up the tone. I was really impressed and am going to continue working on this. Really interesting......

I thought Cliff and Co. posted quite a while back that they changed something that made parallel effects un-needed?(delay and reverb anyway)

Not sure of this though, could of dreamt it? lol

For the first time in my life I tried my delays and multi delays in parallel using the posts from this thread as a guideline, and I have to say, I maybe should have tried this like, uh, 30 YEARS AGO.........:oops: I A/B'd with my non parallel preset and it was amazing how much natural tone came thru the mix. I felt i could even increase the delay level without muddying up the tone. I was really impressed and am going to continue working on this. Really interesting......
See my previous post about similar results when in series (for Reverb).

Back
Top Bottom