Master of Puppets solos - "Mark IV" test v10.02 (w/orig. stems) - feedback?

kengtin

Hi folks,

My take on the classic Master of Puppets middle/solos section. The purpose was to practice my recording/reamping, mixing and mastering skills. The drums, bass and vocals are original stems, I performed all the guitars.

All the distorted tones were reamped from a "Mark IV" preset I made with firmware v10.02. The clean tones are produced by a Roland JC120 based patch.

The "Mark IV" patch is here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1426

Signal chain:
ESP M-II Custom - Axe Fx II - Cubase 7

Let me know what you guys think... thanks in advance!

Last edited:
sounds amazing and I love those ?inlays hopefully not stickers, where'd u get? great job all around, all facets.

sounds amazing and I love those ?inlays hopefully not stickers, where'd u get? great job all around, all facets.

Thanks man! And yes, those are real inlays, stickers would be so lame :p. That's one of the aesthetical things ESP got wrong on this axe, I requested mother of pearl and they made them out of plastic. That's a 14 year old guitar, back then I didn't live in the U.S. and I didn't have the guts to return it. The build quality though it's incredible, it still sounds and feels like day 1.

That is one of those songs that is perfect in every way, and you nail it perfectly!!! and of course the tones from the Axe are perfectly matched!

Congrats!

Nice! Awesome Job. I was just listening to this song on the radio this morning. Phenomenal job, great sound.
The only minor things that stuck out were the verb in the clean part was a bit different than original (thicker - I actually like it better the way you have it) and the pick attack (chirp) of the solos in the original stand out a bit more.

Wow, I come back from a stressful day at work to nothing but encouraging comments, thanks a lot everyone!

BTW, I didn't mean to emulate the original MOP sound in any way, I just tried to get a nice tight and punchy sound from the Mark IV model in v10.02 (something I couldn't successfully achieve in previous fw versions) and make it fit into this mix the best I could.

Sounded great. Thanks for taking the time to make and post the video.
Good work on the mix, playing, and tones.

Thanks again all of you, I really appreciate your comments.

My Mark IV patch is now in AxeChange downloadable here: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Mesa Mark EMG 6 - by kengtin, details in the description

BTW, I'm thinking about reamping a version with Rectifier or Uberschall (some of the punchiest presets I've made so far) to see if I can squeeze a bit more brutality just for fun. Does it sound like an interesting experiment?

Well done.

SOmewhat on topic, when I discovered those stems, I did a bit of editing... want to do the full song some time.

Outstanding! if you get a chance, do you think you can post the clean preset? just looking for a starting point for a clean preset and really appreciate it. take care

Back
Top Bottom