Master level default setting poll!

Do you want amps sims to default to "correct" master levels?

• Total voters
Cliff said in another topic, "Master at 7.02 on the Recto model is WAY too high and will sound muddy. You should be around 3-4, maybe less."

So... Why not set the default to "3-4, maybe less" instead of 5 for the Recto?

Clark Kent said:
Fenders should have a master level cranked up to 10-ish and modern high gain amps should have really low master settings to achieve the authentic tones that we all want.

I disagree on this point, and this is because we all have different ways of achieving the sounds we like (which I'm sure we all agree on!). I can get some very enjoyable monster tones with the MV cranked on high gain amps and the drive low. Horses for courses.

Jay Mitchell said:
You mean there's a "default" setting for MVs on amps? I always thought it was just wherever the last guy to play it in the music store left it.

Couldn't agree more! But I do get the original poster's suggestion, so some ballpark settings for VM on different models may provide a more immediate starting point (note that many manufacturers do have some general guidelines in their documentation regarding settings - My Mesa F30 combo has a good manual for that amp).

Keep rockin'

I have no problem with things defaulting to any given parameter.

What I do foresee once Cliff does this to the amp models, assuming he will/might do so, is then you'll see complaints and polls about matching output volumes... which is the pandora's box this opens up.

I do understand, and empathize, with the 'spoon fed' criticism; it seems too many folks want to buy the mechanic's garage, tool sets, and race car.... but then want someone to hold their hand and build the race car for them. Or to use a food analogy, too many folks want to buy the professional level kitchen appliances, tools and ingredients and then want everything pre-cooked for them.

But at the same time, it'd speed up folks' 'learning curve' that were exploring new amp types that they were not familiar with and give them a head start on how each amp type should be approached (master vs. non-master).

The only thing I personally do not look forward to is the 'matching output volume' of presets that will take off even more than they do now.

Well, here's my take...

I get bugged by having to change the master settings everytime I make a patch. It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance.

I prefer to set use the amp sims just like I would the real amp (master cranked on NMV amps and set appropriate to how I would use the real deal on MV amps). So, at least as a starting point, it would help me if Cliff changed this.

All that said, I don't think Cliff should do it. It isn't that much trouble for me to change it everytime for one. The much bigger problem IMO would be the constant bickering like, "The Recto New master defaults to 3.5, but I think Cliff should change it to 2.78...." and "there is a volume difference between the amps as I scroll through them."

Rather than hear a bunch of forum whining on those two fronts, I'm voting no. It seems like a little bit of a Pandora's Box situation to me. I think it will cause for more trouble than it's worth and Cliff's time is better spent elsewhere.

D

Stratman68 said:
IMHO you guys are spoiled.
:roll: tell us what you really think....
The Ultra is "perfect" IMHO the way it is.
The Ultra is fantastic... but everything can be improved and nothing will be perfect but I feel one of the most appealing/marketable aspect is that it is constantly evolving..... I'm am utterly grateful for everything Cliff has done, read my posts you won't see anything different, but I think part of the reason the Axe Fx has been so successful is Cliff's open mind to design based on perceived need. No need for name calling.

dk_ace said:
The much bigger problem IMO would be the constant bickering like, "The Recto New master defaults to 3.5, but I think Cliff should change it to 2.78...." and "there is a volume difference between the amps as I scroll through them."

That's what I think too. And as you can't isolate the MV, the discussion will continue about the Drive control setting, which depends on the MV setting. My answer to this discussion: let's set the default to "0". That's zero, no sound. That's as neutral as it gets. The user has to turn it up to where he like the tone. The same goes for Drive.

I do however support the call for visual indication whether the modelled amp had a MV or not.

Easiest solution to all this is just to use the editor. Do some research on the amp models, see if they have MV or not. Load in the ampblock with default settings, adjust Master accordingly to the model, 'save settings'...there's your new default amp right there. You could even go as far as adjusting Output of the amp block to get similar volumes across. easy solution to an apparently big problem for some :cool:

A slightly more unknown area would be where mids are set on non-mid control amps. If Cliff could provide parameters, I'm sure someone could add that to the wiki list. Problem solved ;)

The best place for this is in the WIKI, IMHO. With input from users and/or cliff a recommended "default" settings table can be built. Yes, I said "recommended".

Well, something I miss from my Vetta was the ability to overwrite the defaults with your own :idea:

This could be done with a seperate file and uploaded and downloaded like current firmware, could even be modded using AxeEdit!

Then everybody is happy!!! Do change or not...your choice...Just needs an option to "Save as default"

I could have each amp set up with my goto settings and tweak from there...this could also apply to all Fx btw...

maybe a combination of things might help. Maybe keep all the defaults set as is, but add a little tick mark(s) outside the dial to suggest the ideal range for the specific amp model. It might even help to add this to all the dials so when you're tweaking you know what the default or ideal is around so you don't have to reset the whole amp every time to get back to the factory preset. It's an idea.

AlbertA said:
The best place for this is in the WIKI, IMHO. With input from users and/or cliff a recommended "default" settings table can be built. Yes, I said "recommended".

+1
The current amp list already has recommend settings for some amps.
Such as "3" for the Rectifier. ;-)

Griffin said:
Well, something I miss from my Vetta was the ability to overwrite the defaults with your own :idea:

This could be done with a seperate file and uploaded and downloaded like current firmware, could even be modded using AxeEdit!

I like this feature, but it's a waste of memory and code. A programmer should know the differnce between hardcore fixed single value (5) and user variable values. It's not hard to do, but has some load. ;)

rsf1977 said:
...add a little tick mark(s) outside the dial to suggest the ideal range for the specific amp model.

As someone told before, there is no ideal setting. Setting vary with each band, each room, each guitar... you should tweak each time. Ask for a simpler interface, with faster tweaking (think about yamaha magicstomp) instead.

I agree there probably isn't an ideal single setting, but there probably is an ideal range. Even cliff stated setting a mesa master past 7 is way to high, so if there is a non ideal range that means there has to be an ideal.

There are some Master Volume defaults that have been pointed out by Cliff as being "wrong" @ 5.

These defaults could be changed.

The Master Volume defaults that are "acceptable" @ 5 could remain as is.

If the defaults for SAG were all the same - wouldn't this be "wrong"?

yek said:
AlbertA said:

+1
The current amp list already has recommend settings for some amps.
Such as "3" for the Rectifier. ;-)
Some control listings for some of the amps may be a bit misleading. The USA Clean controls say for example Gain, Volume etc... Volume in that case is of course Master as well (same goes for the Fryette, XTC etc.)

My default drive/master control settings on any tube amp I'm about to fire up are always "0" (or even for a new AxeFX patch) :D

You need to unleash a tube amp sloooooowly :cool:

I really like the idea of the MV defaulting to a level that most accurately reflects how the real amp would usually be used. If the majority of people like the sound of a Fender twin with the volume cranked, why not model that scenario? Obviously tweaking will still be necessary, but generally speaking it should be closer to what most are expecting when they select that model.

The only thing I would add is that, if this ends up getting implemented, please also adjust the default level parameters to keep the block output as consistent as possible. To be honest, this would be a nice change regardless of how the MV discussion turns out. Being able to run through amp models, factory presets, etc. at normalized levels would be sweet.

Back
Top Bottom