Wish Master Cents Offset Controller for Tuner

skunc

Experienced
I finally made time check out the tuner again. I have a separate tuner that I use to tune and calibrate instruments and would like to use the Axe III tuner exclusively. There have been some nice recent additions to the tuner! Working in the pro touring industry I would normally go directly to Fractal Audio, but I wanted to discover whether there are other pro players/techs out there with similar wishes.

This is what I noticed...
1. There is only one offset tuning that is possible to save and it cannot be used on an open tuning or alternate tuning.
2. It appears that the offsets are set up per each string when in traditional standard tuning only (and when using downtune).
a. When I tune to open D major (D,A,D,F#,A,D) flatten the 3rd/F# a few cents and attempt to tune the B string (the higher A) the needle and strobe do not agree and (neither are correct) and the string number reference doesn't follow either due to the altered notes.
3. If I want to check my BFTS calibration on electric it is an endless amount of adjusting the offsets up and down and jumping between screens. The open strings and the intonation are different and there is no way to store them. Checking an acoustic that is tempered would be a struggle due to tuning the harmonics.
4. I had to constantly page away from the tuner to adjust the offset, tune the offset and turn it on and off.
5. The offsets and the offset ON/OFF are on separate pages.
6. With this existing tuner configuration, the configure page should be the 3rd page and the 2nd page should be the offsets with the offset on/off control.

This would be a game changer for me...
A nice solution would be to add a "master cents offset knob" to the TUNE screen.
Default to 0.00
Put the offset numbers below the note name, string number or center section below the strobe.
Use the rotary push encoder closest to the new cents display (A,C,or E) and push to engage/disengage and rotate to alter the cents + or -
The numbers could blink while feature is engaged.
The offset would be solid when disengaged (another push) and simutaniously default to 0.00.
Exiting the tuner should automatically disengage the master offset and set the offset to the default value of 0.00.

Benefits:
This would expedite the tuning process for a subtle offset, ie flattening a 3rd in an open tuning, (or the EVH flattening the B string a bit) or flattening a single string like the g string or low dropped note on a light gauge set of strings. ie EVH drop A on "Good Enough," and Yes "Big Generator"
This would make it much easier when checking the intonation/calibration on a tempered instrument.
Quickly tune sweetened open or altered tunings.
You can easily determine how far any a note, intonation point or harmonic is out or needs to be adjusted to sound in tune.
No need to constantly page away from the tuner, no paging back and forth to offset the tuner for a moment.
One less piece of gear to bring along to the studio or performance!

I know we've talked about this many times. Certainly a lot of larger acts out there who would love to be able to get rid of their rack tuners and just roll with the III and a wireless.🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom