Mass Exodus dumping of Axe-Fx on eBay today. :)

I have an offer out for $900 for an Ultra. No one has bitten yet. But, they will. Especially if Cliff has his act together with demand on the new unit.

I think a mass exodus is crazy. It just isn't happening. There were a number of users who had 2 units. I have no doubt that many of them are dumping one right now in anticipation of the II. There are also users that want to be first in line on the II and have to generate some funds to do so, that isn't a mass exodus though.

While the used prices may drop for a few weeks (a few months worst case), they will level out at a perfectly reasonable level I have no doubt. I think we'll find that the Axe-FX Standard and Ultra holds it's value far better than just about any other piece of digital equipment even with the II in the market.

My take on this whole situation is this: if I had $2200 in my pocket right now, this would be the greatest announcement I've heard this year. The extra goods in the Ultra were never enough to lure me away from my Std. This unit has enough in it that I would want to upgrade. I do not have $2200 in my pocket right now to use on music gear, so I'm more than a little disappointed honestly. I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually though.

When I can upgrade, I doubt I'll lose much if anything when I sell my Std. Considering I got in around firmware 3, that's a solid gear investment if I've ever seen one. I've gigged that thing hard and heavy for years, and it's likely going to be worth what I paid for it when I sell it. That kind of thing is hard to find these days.

D

Dropped my Ultra to $1700 (it has the quiet fan mod), and even willing to ship overseas, without so much as a nibble. I think we're going to have a hard time selling them for anything over $1500, esp once the AxeII is officially shipping... :(

The funniest thing is that, right now, Axe-Fx Ultra is the best guitar processor you can own because Axe-Fx II is a beta unit yet....

I would try to sell my Ultra to get some money for the II, but man, ETA is so unpredictable that I see myself in the near future making a gig with a Metal Zone and a MXR Phaser...... LOL

Dropped my Ultra to $1700 (it has the quiet fan mod), and even willing to ship overseas, without so much as a nibble. I think we're going to have a hard time selling them for anything over $1500, esp once the AxeII is officially shipping...
I agree. I believe $1,500 will be the going price for an Ultra. I just put mine in the 'For Sale' section at $1,500 including shipping and I even threw in a few extras. I would rather do what I want to do quickly and be done with it then lose sleep over $100 or so. (Plus one of my students is loaning me his Ultra until I get the II!)

If I sold my Ultra now, I'd have nothing to play on for months until the II can be ordered. I'll likely go the route of buying the II once it's available and has stabilized (there's likely to be a few quick firmware updates after it's general release). Then, only after I've had both units for a while and am totally satisfied that the II can replace my Ultra will I sell my Ultra.

I wouldnt say there is a mass exodus. Like anything there is always upgrades. Look at the cell phone industry and how they string people to buy iPhone 4, etc when the 3 is fine.

The power Axe users would benifit from AxeII but I belive 75% of the users are happy as is.

The power Axe users take the Ultra to the limits so the II would be a natural upgrade to them, the rest I doubt will notice the benifts enough to warrant buying a new unit.

Cliff is not like the cell companies or TV companies who decive you to always by new. 3D TV? Whatever...

Cliff is making the next logical step in keeping the Axe up front and hats off to him.

Dropped my Ultra to $1700 (it has the quiet fan mod), and even willing to ship overseas, without so much as a nibble. I think we're going to have a hard time selling them for anything over $1500, esp once the AxeII is officially shipping... :(
If you feel like you've got to sell it right away, you're probably right. OTOH, when the real supply situation - and long-term selling price - of the Axe-Fx II are finally established, you may find you have no difficulty getting a bit more. To be honest, the ability to recover 75% of the $2k acquisition price is almost unheard-of with this kind of equipment. Try doing that with a Pod or Eleven Rack.

If you feel like you've got to sell it right away, you're probably right. OTOH, when the real supply situation - and long-term selling price - of the Axe-Fx II are finally established, you may find you have no difficulty getting a bit more. To be honest, the ability to recover 75% of the $2k acquisition price is almost unheard-of with this kind of equipment. Try doing that with a Pod or Eleven Rack.
Yep. With any other digital gear I would be lucky to get half of my original investment back after one year of ownership. And Jay is probably right. The air will clear and the used Ultra market will stabilize. For a short time I would expect to see a small panic-driven buyers market.

Bear in mind that not everyone in the user base checks this site daily. Most might only get wind of the Axe II when the adds hit the magazines. There may be another surge of upgraders when that happens.

BTW, labelling people "panicky" or other because they want the new unit is a bit... Iffy... In my book. I love my ultra, but if I had the chance I would be all over the II asap. I consider myself neither panicky, nor dumb, shallow, insecure or a sheep. I would just love to hear what's next. And to be honest, even though my rig is the best I ever sounded, I could imagine it could be even better. I still have tones in my head I don't get from my rig. I'm actually pretty calm about it

Anybody know a good internet forum addiction therapist? Preferably online?

I fully expect the value of Standards and Ultras to go way up since they are now 'vintage' pieces of gear, and, as many guitar players (especially the "Monday Morning Quaterback" ones who never gig or play/jam in a real band) will tell you on the various gear forums, vintage stuff is 'just better' than the 'new crap' that comes out these days. Just think of the commanding price a NOS Ultra will have in a few years....ha!

(Dutch) BTW, labelling people "panicky" or other because they want the new unit is a bit... Iffy... In my book.
I didn't label anyone "panicky". I stated the possibility of a temporarily "panicky" market which might cause this seller or that to drop their price too low.

I am quite sure there is a "get-on-with-it" market. That would at least be me (see my "for Sale" post). Once I decide to sell something I don't like to prolong the process over a few percents of price.
(Maybe I should just sell my Ultra to Jack Napalm!)

Back
Top Bottom