Mass Exodus dumping of Axe-Fx on eBay today. :)

Lol, all day eBay has been flooded by people dumping their existing Axe-Fx units.... last count there were 30 new auctions up that have not sold. What's bizarre is the prices some people are asking for them.... Buy it new for $1799 from Fractal (b stock) or pay $2600 for some buy-it-now...lol

Interesting to see the greed of some... oh well. Lookin' forward to the next offering Cliff.

Now.... time to pick up another Ultra from a panicky lemming :)

If you didn't do it last week... it's probably better to hold on to it until the dust settles.
Most likely we will see an over reaction with prices way below what should be.

Later on it should stabilize.

;)

I agree, saw the same thing with Strymon's Brigadier & El Capistan when the new all-in-one delay pedal was announced.... some great bargains to be had all the same :)

Now would be a great time to pick up a used Axe-Fx Standard or Ultra, if you've been in the market for one.

Mine's not for sale, but lots of others are.

stupid people....

The old axe-fx is still a high value piece of gear! The best I ever owned myself.....Some guys just need to have the best thing on the planet, no matter if they could use it or not. Really stupid....that's what GAS normally does. Make your head dull..... :)

greetings
Paco

The old axe-fx is still a high value piece of gear! The best I ever owned myself.....

Definitely agree with this part. I still want a II eventually although I'm not dumping my Standard anytime soon. It's been my tone for almost 2 years now......it's the greatest piece of gear I've purchased in 30 years of playing.......I'm sick of losing money on gear sales as it is anyway.......

Last edited:
Totally agree. While all the new features on axe-2 are "nice to have" the only im REALLY after is the G2 sims. If I was worried about FX I would have an Ultra rather than the Standard i do have. There is always be that "niggle" the better sims are available on AFX2, bu1 11.0 on my standard is still great.

if you need the money, and must upgrade to AFX2, I can see why people are selling, but its a bad time. The Market has been flooded - and also thoses who want an Axe but couldnt afford one will be looking for a bargin with AFX2 available.

Thing is, the Standard and Ultra wont be available once current stocks are run down - so a new Axe willl be $2300 for the AFX2. Thats quite high. A used Standard for around $1200 and a used Ultra for around $1500 is probably where it will settle. Thats still great valve. Once used AFX2s start hitting the market - THATS when the Standards and Ultras will drop in price significantly.

im UK, so pay in £. id love an AFX2, but being a family man, and a hobbyist cant afford £2100 (or there abouts), however I got my standard 3 years go when the price was lower and before the £ crashed. i paid £1100 all in - so if I get £1k back when I get the rest of the cash together It will have cost me £100 for 3 years use :) i think £1k for a used standard is a good price, despite AFX2 (as they were around £1300 before that), and Ill still have got most of my initial investment back. Win Win.

Its just plain bizarre.
Ive owned an axefx since firmware 5. I upgraded to an ultra about firmware 7. I havent been on the forum for a while now as I went back to a valve amp rig for live shows, but I still watch whats going on. I sold my ultra about 6 months ago for £1550. I thought that was a fair price at the time. Ive always thought the axefx a fantastic piece of gear but just wasnt using it at the time.
It seems to me that everyone is suddenly desperate to sell their axefx, but not prepared to be realistic about it. IMHO there are 2 ways to look at this.
(1) The axefx is still a fantastic piece of kit. In fact it is even better than it was 2 weeks ago due to the new firmware update. If you loved the axefx 2 weeks ago, why are you so desperate to sell it now? It hasnt suddenly become a lemon overnight for goodness sake!
(2) If you are looking to sell it then be realistic about it. Anyone in the market for an axefx now has the option of a brand new axefx2. Yes they will have to wait but if they havent already got an axefx then they have probably been waiting for a while anyway. Their other option is a used standard or ultra. Now from a buyers point of view we all know it is an expensive piece of kit. Most of us offset that by the knowledge that Fractals support/firmware updates have been second to none. Also the resale value of the units has been high. There have been no 'obsolete' versions so far, but that is no longer the case. Anyone buying does so in the knowledge that firmware updates to the 'old' axefx will probably dwindle and eventually die. This is to be expected where any new technology is involved. Realistically would you pay £1600 for a unit when for another £600 you can buy a new version with loads of new features, better quality sounds and a promise of firmware support?(Im talking typical UK prices here).
Without wishing to insult anyone, ppl need to take a breath and be sensible about it. If I still had my ultra, I would still have the kit I have really enjoyed for the last 3 years, and even have a very recent firmware release. This is to be applauded.
If you really MUST sell consider this. I bought a TC G system several years ago, got frustrated by its inherent bugs and lack of support and sold it after 12 months for about two thirds of what I paid for it. That was for a piece of kit that was still 'current' and is fairly typical of the used market. If there had been a new version of the G system (as there is now) I could probably expected about half what I paid for it. This is just simple economics.
Personally I would hold on to my axefx if I still had one. Its still an incredible machine and probably worth much more than its resale value at the moment.

Well my plan is to hang onto my Ultra for one year. THEN I will know the BUGS...AVAILABILITY of the new units...how they compare to the axe fx ultra and so on.

I just think people act like sheep and panic over nothing! Now these guys will only have backup systems to play while waiting and hoping to get an axe fx II. And if past dealings at fractal are any clue.... they may have a very long wait!

NOT ME! I am simply TOO impatient when it comes to buying on the fractal site. I HATE clicking a button only to tell me they are out of stock. Makes me feel like I wasted my time and I surely cannot see me going on the fractal store site everyday just to click a stupid button!

Until Cliff gets it together with production to where they CAN be produced in bulk or at LEAST more than they have been in the past I will probably end up buying used on ebay.

I love the axe fx ultra and I think Cliffs products rock, I just hate his business model.

If he ever gets to the point of making them available when you order them 24/7, I will use the fractal site, but I have sworn to myself I am not wasting any more time clicking a stupid button that says buy now only to find out there is not anything to buy!

Last edited:
guess no one cares about recreating there patches over?

guess it could be easier starting from scratch?

guess no one cares about recreating there patches over?

guess it could be easier starting from scratch?

Essentially you have to. This is *not* just an update; this is all new. Everything is different. It builds upon the strengths of the Ultra/Standard and then adds quite a lot.

20 Ultras on eBay right now as far as I can see. Is that mass exodus in correlation to the installed base? I´m guessing it is less than 1% of the installed base.

A spike, maybe. Mass exodus, probably not.

20 Ultras on eBay right now as far as I can see. Is that mass exodus in correlation to the installed base? I´m guessing it is less than 1% of the installed base.

A spike, maybe. Mass exodus, probably not.

Thank you. A little sanity please.

All the hyperbole and sensationalism some folks are bent on pressing is indeed.... boring.

North has it totally nailed.

I've been watching the completed auctions of Ultras over the last few days. It looks like the number sold has almost doubled and the average price has only dropped $200-$250 so to me that seems pretty tame. I suppose it might be a week or two early in the process to be able to evaluate the full impact of the announcement of AxeII on the used market but it doesn't look like it will be anything close to disaster for us.

I'm going to wait to make the move since I just finally got a to a place where I'm not tweaking nearly as much as I'm actually playing music. I don't want to jump back down another rabbit hole where I spend all that time making presets and finding my way around the options to see what is what.
Once the initial dumping of used AxeFx units settles there will be a limited number of used units and they certainly still sound great and most importantly only the AxeII will be better so I think a $500-$600 difference in price between the Ultra and the AxeII should be enough of a divide to define a buyer base of those who want into the AxeFx club but can't swing the top dollar price of the AxeII.

One thing I haven't figured into my hypothesis is how many old units does Fractal still have, will they still produce them..until when... and what will the price be?

One thing I wish people would understand:
A new digital preamp/effects unit purchased at retail price is NOT a vehicle for financial investment (unless you are really stupid) so nothing Fractal does should be considered from the perspective of 'Look what the mean man did to the value of my property'.
You invested in a tool to accomplish a goal and the quality of the tool you bought is not changed one bit by the invention of another tool. Your 'investment' is as sound as it ever was.

Last edited:
Demand outstripped supply for quite a while so we have been living with an atypically high resale amount.
That is great for a few people who sold but I use my Axe FX on a daily basis- downtime is more of an issue than losing a few hundred, or even a thousand in depreciation.

Prices are still too high for what are essentially boat anchors now. The new Axe II has rendered all of them useless. Sell now for cheap before you can't get anything for it. :D

Back
Top Bottom