Marshalls sound bad

Marshalls sound great for certain types of music. Would I use one for P&W or aggressive metal? Of course not. I also wouldn't use a pitchfork to shovel snow.
Chuck Schuldiner would like a word

I would also say that Slayer, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, and AIC got some really great heavy Marshall tones.

I would also say that Slayer, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, and AIC got some really great heavy Marshall tones.
There are exceptions in the P&W world as well. Lincoln Brewster comes to mind (his early stuff) as does Scott Peterson 😉. I just built my own Marshall/Friedman based P&W patch and I like it better than the Vox style amps I’ve been using; cleanish to full saturated roar with plenty of punch, clarity and high note weight, which is very hard to get with Vox style amps, at least for me.

Most Marshalls sound decent. Some sound bad. None make me say omg this is the amp I want to die with. There’s a reason folks built careers modding them as well as brands making their schematics sound better. The FAS models represent this the same. Killer sounding Marshalls are generally called Friedman.
I agree and disagree. Modern takes, including Friedmans are great modern interpretations of Marshalls, but they aren't a better version because they lose the raw idiosyncrasies that those vintage amps have. They each have an application, I wouldn't say it makes one better or worse.

The guitar player for the opening act last night (for Winger) was playing a Silver Jubilee. I was shocked at how awesome it sounded!

I agree my opinion on Marshall amps isn’t quite so popular 😂 Dave Friedman himself would probably tell you his amps wouldn’t exist outside of Marshall designs. I can’t plug into a Marshall on its own and get 80% of the tones I need for what I want to hear. That’s ME, though. One guy on the internet. If y’all enjoy blasting a 100w plexi within an inch of its life to get it sounding right (adding: an attenuator, load box and pedals is NOT the amp), god bless. If you like it I love it. That doesn’t work for me. I only used Friedman as an example, I feel some of his amps are a bit TOO polished sounding. Tech as you all know has come a long way since the 70s. Y’all still driving 4 barrels too?! If you want a good MV, a great loop, multi watt options as well as other stuff, modern amps are probably your ticket. Or you can surround vintage stuff with tons of other gear too 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where's OP?

a) So embarrassed when he found that the Tone Pot of his guitar was rolled down that he has created a new account with another name
b) Just a troll doing his thing
c) A shark from the competition trying to discredit the product. That has happened several times, and it also happens at other platforms.
d) Some issue is impeding him to come back. If that is the case, I hope that it is not serious and that he can be with us again to enjoy tweaking his marshal tones with all the good tips he has received here.

p.s.: note that he has also included the beatified FAS Hot Rod at the list of Marshalls that do not sound good :eek:

Last edited:
a) So embarrassed when he found that the Tone Pot of his guitar was rolled down that he has created a new account with another name
b) Just a troll doing his thing
c) A shark from the competition trying to discredit the product. That has happened several times, and it also happens at other platforms.
d) Some issue is impeding him to come back. If that is the case, I hope that it is not serious and that he can be with us again to enjoy tweaking his marshal tones with all the good tips he has received here.

p.s.: note that he has also included the beatified FAS Hot Rod at the list of Marshalls that do not sound good :eek:
I can’t be the only one that’s been there on the tone knob thing……….why’s everything sound so dark????

I can’t be the only one that’s been there on the tone knob thing……….why’s everything sound so dark????

I once tweaked my live presets at the Axe-FX Ultra in a rush before a gig, because they were too dark, just to find that the tone knob was rolled down when the drummer started the count in 😅

Since then it has become a safety routine when I pick a guitar, like fastening the seat belt before starting the car's engine

Last edited:
I once tweaked my live presets at the Axe-FX Ultra in a rush, before a gig, just to find that the tone knob was rolled down when the drummer started the count in 😅

Since then it has become a safety routine when I pick a guitar, like fastening the seat belt before starting the car's engine
This...

I can have zero sound and I honestly check my tone pot before i make sure it's even plugged into a power source. The architecture of my ego and ID surpass common sense most days. I think more than a few people can relate to it.

With 4-hole Marshalls, I’ve always thought of the Treble Volume control as the Gain knob and dialed it first. Then once I get that where it sounds good, I’ll use the Normal Volume control more like a Bass knob and dial it in to be just loud enough to be audible and balance the sound out but not loud enough to extend the amp’s natural distortion into lower frequencies that will muddy it up.

I was assuming Cliff meant more like, JTM45, Plexi etc, not exactly metal amps. I dont think he meant the JCM800. More metal albums recorded with the JCM than anything else, Maybe the 5150 has caught up by now but even these days full on death metal bands go for JCMs, Hate Eternal comes to mind.

This...

I can have zero sound and I honestly check my tone pot before i make sure it's even plugged into a power source. The architecture of my ego and ID surpass common sense most days. I think more than a few people can relate to it.

Yup. In the early days I used to blame gear and freak out that something was broken
or failed and we would all panic. Now after a few decades of experience I know
99 times out of 100 it is probably some oversight or error on my part. :)

With 4-hole Marshalls, I’ve always thought of the Treble Volume control as the Gain knob and dialed it first. Then once I get that where it sounds good, I’ll use the Normal Volume control more like a Bass knob and dial it in to be just loud enough to be audible and balance the sound out but not loud enough to extend the amp’s natural distortion into lower frequencies that will muddy it up.

Being that they were essentially derived from Fender Bassmans I have often treated
them the same way. I don't have a Plexi anymore, but I do have a '68 Bassman and I have
always loved running into both inputs and blending to taste.

A lot of people like the rawness and “imperfections” vintage amps like Marshall’s and Fenders have. I am one of them. The modern Boutique versions fix a lot of that stuff, but they end up sounding very polished and “perfect.” Some people like that, and that’s great.

A lot of my favorite guitar tones come from the vintage amps, so that’s what I like to use.

A lot of people like the rawness and “imperfections” vintage amps like Marshall’s and Fenders have. I am one of them. The modern Boutique versions fix a lot of that stuff, but they end up sounding very polished and “perfect.” Some people like that, and that’s great.

A lot of my favorite guitar tones come from the vintage amps, so that’s what I like to use.
Personally I am the total opposite and prefer the convenience of modern features and that more "polished" sound.

The great thing with virtual amp models is that a lot of the things that make a typical old school Fender, Vox, or Marshall impractical are non-issues so if you like those tones you can use them no problem. Or with Fractal can tweak the model itself in a number of ways closer to your preference.

Back
Top Bottom