Marshalls sound bad

Long day at work.

FWIW Other models sound great with minimal tweaking. Just seems like the Marshalls don’t work for me. I’m running it thru a Headrush FRFR112.

When I get home I’ll check out uploading a preset and settings. Also going to try some of the suggestions posted here.

Appreciate the help.

EDIT: Appreciate the input. Found that setting the MV to around two and starting with all EQ at 0 helps immensely. From what I’m getting, a little low and mids goes a very long way.

Dialing up a juicy rock tone with the FAS Hot Rod

Last edited:
I find the 1959SLP Normal and Plexi channels extremely dark at stock settings but I figure that's the way they are irl - the more modern marshalls are on the bright side to my ear.
Amazing example of how we hear so differently…I probably have substantial high frequency loss… But those plexis with the current presets on Cygnus are bright bright bright; to me and it’s not a problem.

In a guitar without a trouble bleed on the volume knob is a miracle worker with these amp models.

Amazing example of how we hear so differently…I probably have substantial high frequency loss… But those plexis with the current presets on Cygnus are bright bright bright; to me and it’s not a problem.

In a guitar without a trouble bleed on the volume knob is a miracle worker with these amp models.
The Normal channels are bright?

The Treb channels are undoubtedly bright, but the Norm channels sound like you rolled your tone knob to 0. Not a complaint, assume that it was those amps sound like. Just really surprised anyone would think of those as bright.

Don't even try the 800!

I love the tone of a really dialed in high gain Marshall. However, a lot of the Marshalls don't work for me either, but for a different reason. Meanwhile, those same Marshall works great for other people. I think ultimately, it comes down to something in your specific setup that just isn't agreeing with those amps. It's not a very helpful comment, I apologize, but I can relate. On sustained notes, I get a strange flanger effect on the notes. This only really happens on Marshall and Fender style amps. But other people don't seem to have that problem. Which is actually kind of a good sign. It means it's not the amp models. Same thing with your issue. The point is, while tone is subjective, things like what you are talking about are usually the result of something in your signal chain that is causing an issue. I know that other people use the Headrush with great success, so again, that's actually kind of good to hear. Also, this community is full of very knowledgeable helpful people, so I'm sure once they can get a look at your setup, you'll be back in Marshall tone heaven.

The Normal channels are bright?

The Treb channels are undoubtedly bright, but the Norm channels sound like you rolled your tone knob to 0. Not a complaint, assume that it was those amps sound like. Just really surprised anyone would think of those as bright.

Don't even try the 800!
Agreed - The Marshall Normal channels at stock settings (not the Cygnus presets - just load the amp and reset the channel with a typical stock marshall IR and that's it) - Dark Dark Dark to my ear - not complaining - I think it is correct though I've never played a real Plexi - but, I don't see (hear) how the tone could be taken as bright. Attached is a test preset (and this preset is forgiving in that the IR is 57 near the speaker center).

Attachments

• MARSHALL NORMALS CH - STOCK.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
The Marshalls--as a group---are my faves of all the various amp models. I
feel like I can literally play almost any style of music with them, and do that
music justice.
I totally agree. The Marshalls in the Axe FXIII sound good to me.

I have three real Marshall Plexis sitting right here beside me. The normal channels are very dark. That's how they were designed. I've never used the normal channel by itself ever for guitar. I always use the bright channel by itself, or jump the bright and normal channels. I do the same when dialing in the Axe FXIII Marshalls. I usually play a Stratocaser or Les Paul through them.

The thing is, that amps that have the lows tidy and that display plenty of highs on their own, don't sound better with boosters like tube screamers. People that play such amps wonder why one would use a TS because it adds nothing in their judgement.

The trick is to take an amp that fails there (like marshalls in their normal channel) and that are in need of something to roll off some lows before the amps input. Drop a TS before such an amp and see why some love treble boosters. But don't expect such an amp to display awesome rock tones without a TS, it never did.

Try playing some of your favorite recorded music through your PA, or FRFR setup. See how that sounds, so you have a reference. Then, if you can, mix in the Axe-FX through the same system, playing along, and see how it sits in that mix.

If you like 80s rock, check out the updated #11 Brit800 preset, and check out the scenes, like Slammed. The block choices and settings, like the GEQ before the amp also seem thoughtfully selected and nicely dialed in.

What do you mean “without a treble bleed on the volume knob”? Is that some unique purpose volume pot?

Most guitars are traditionally built without treble bleed circuits. That would be your standard VOL control (Variable resistor a.k.a. potentiometer).

However many artist don’t like when the tone rolls off when you roll the volume back so some choose to install of a “treble bleed” circuit … aka capacitor to allow high frequency content to still be passed even though the volume potentiometer is being turned down.

Most guitars traditionally built without a trouble bleed circuit. That would be your standard in control. However many artist don’t like the tone rolls off with you all the volume back so the install of the passenger to Lowell’s I frequency consult to still be passed even though the bar and potentiometers being turned downMost guitars traditionally built without a trouble bleed circuit. That would be your standard volume control.
? ;)

Most guitars are traditionally built without treble bleed circuits. That would be your standard VOL control (Variable resistor a.k.a. potentiometer).

However many artist don’t like when the tone rolls off when you roll the volume back so some choose to install of a “treble bleed” circuit … aka capacitor to allow high frequency content to still be passed even though the volume potentiometer is being turned down.
Thanks for the clarification, I thought that might be what you meant, meaning it’s a circuit with a capacitor, not a different special volume pot.

For reference purposes, here's the Plexi 50W factory preset, scene 1, played with 4 guitars, straight (no tweaks, no additional processing, no interface):
  • telecaster: 3 pickup positions
  • stratocaster: 5 pickup positions
  • PRS: 3x single coils, 3x humbuckers (dark)
  • Gibson LP: 3 pickup positions

If your sound is different, check:
  • your guitar
  • cables
  • the unit's global parameters
  • your audio interface / DAW
  • your monitors / amplification.

Last edited:
For reference purposes, here's the Plexi 50W factory preset, played with 4 guitars, straight (no tweaks, no additional processing, no interface):
  • telecaster: 3 pickup positions
  • stratocaster: 5 pickup positions
  • PRS: 3x single coils, 3x humbucker
  • Gibson LP: 3 pickup positions

Yep, sounds like what I hear too.

I have 2 Headrush 108's and they are anything but dark. I know the OP's 112 has the same tweeter. I think they come pretty darn close to what Yek posted. I even have the global EQ at -3db above 3k. Check and make sure that mid notch button is turned off on the back of your 112.

Marshalls sound bad ass

They do! Some of us older gents remember the days when a lot of folks started moving
onto the better than a Marshall train. More low end, channel switching, increasing cascading
gain stages, FX loops.

Even though they are arguably the most recorded amps in the rock idiom even folks like
Eddie and Jimi were trying to improve those amps. I felt prey to it, too---thinking rack preamps
for guitar and all the other things that came down the pipeline were "better than a Marshall."

Now I don't feel the same way at all. I appreciate what they are---and how warts and all they are
literally the Sound of Rock! :)

Back
Top Bottom