Marshall type tones in the Axe FX -- How Good ??

Yeah, they're absolutely mint, I predominantly use Marshalls (JCM 800 Mod), (JS410) in my rig as well as Soldanos which are basically hot rodded Marshall amps and they're fantastic!

Well I bought myself an AFX rig and I also kept my beautiful Marshall tube amp because I thought it would be nice to hang on to the real thing. It's been about 1.5 years now and I've not powered up that old Marshall since.... Ha ha!

Actually I did power it up a couple of times but couldn't get it to sound as good as my AFX so didn't spend much time playing it before I went back to the AFX (literally 5 mins was enough).

I think the big issue is that my actual amp sounds good loud, and the AFX sounds better at all volumes.

Ok, might be a bit off topic for this thread......but would an AX8 give me the same Marshall tones with the same level of tweaking detail as the Axe FX 2 XL.....as in preamp, power amp modelling detailed parameters to dial in authentic feel etc.
Am not really someone who has ever played with dual amps so i am intending to replicate pretty simple rigs.....guitar--stomp drive--amp--fx--cab.
If the Ax8 can give me the same hi quality Marshall tones it might be a better unit for me.
Thoughts ?
Thanks

You want Marshalls OMG the AXEFX has so many stellar Marshalls . I own a 1980 JMP 2203 and the AXE can do all of its tones perfectly. Also there are so many varieties of " Modded Marshall tones " I actually wish my JMP sounded as good as some of the axe models.

Ok, might be a bit off topic for this thread......but would an AX8 give me the same Marshall tones with the same level of tweaking detail as the Axe FX 2 XL.....as in preamp, power amp modelling detailed parameters to dial in authentic feel etc.
Am not really someone who has ever played with dual amps so i am intending to replicate pretty simple rigs.....guitar--stomp drive--amp--fx--cab.
If the Ax8 can give me the same hi quality Marshall tones it might be a better unit for me.
Thoughts ?
Thanks
Yes. The modeling is the same in the AX8. The big difference is you can only run 1 amp at a time in the AX8.

I wouldn't go into it planing on deep tweaking!!! I very, very rarely go into anything past the basic amp controls and EQ. The amps already sound incredibly authentic!!! Any tweaking you do will make the amp less authentic!
I think of tweaking the deep parameters like I would modifying a real amp.

If you are chasing the high gain Marshall sound, The Friedman BE model alone justifies the price of the Axe, IMHO (it's a $3500+ amp IRL, IIRC), and it is not even my goto anymore. It was the first model on any digital device to utterly *nail* it though. Modded Marshall is my absolute must-get-it-right tone and the AFX is the only digital unit I have ever experienced that could truly do it without compromise... not just sound good in a clip but feel and sound right when playing to be alive under the fingers... and we have a number of really great takes on that sound represented in the never too long list of models.

yeah, I think the Marshall tones are what the Axe nails better than anything else. And it nailed everything else....that's just how good they are. crazy good.

One last question: Do these awesome Marshall models sound with cab sims on and a FRFR system, or would a poweramp like a Matrix and NL212 also be able to capture the feel, realism and touch response ?
Wow......really tempted to move stuff, create funds and dive right in!

One last question: Do these awesome Marshall models sound with cab sims on and a FRFR system, or would a poweramp like a Matrix and NL212 also be able to capture the feel, realism and touch response ?
Wow......really tempted to move stuff, create funds and dive right in!
All of Mark's clips are direct recordings using amp sims and cab IRs. Many guys here stick to real cabs while another group of us have done away with real cabs. There is a learning curve and you will end up with what ever you think sounds best.

All of Mark's clips are direct recordings using amp sims and cab IRs. Many guys here stick to real cabs while another group of us have done away with real cabs. There is a learning curve and you will end up with what ever you think sounds best.

I used to think that amp and cabs sounded much better than FRFR. But lately FRFR is actually sounding better to me. Not sure if this is due to firmware improvements or just me learning how to get better sounds using IRs. Either way you cant go wrong.

I used to think that amp and cabs sounded much better than FRFR. But lately FRFR is actually sounding better to me. Not sure if this is due to firmware improvements or just me learning how to get better sounds using IRs. Either way you cant go wrong.
I am an FRFR guy since day one. I needed it to work for me so I made it work. It just keeps sounding better and better to me. I have had some version of the axe since like January 2010 and man has this beast grown

Back
Top Bottom