Marshall type tones in the Axe FX -- How Good ??

nyne

Pre Purchase lurking question:

I am only interested in Marshall type tones (Boosted Plexi, JCM800, JVM, Friedman, Hot Rodded 800 etc).
I know the Axe does clean tones really well and there are many to choose from. I also know it excels at really hi gain metal tones.

But mostly i'd like your opinion on the Marshall type 80's tones. Considering the Axe FX or AX8 route to minimise weight and have a more portable rig.
Please advise.

Thanks

I am only interested in Marshall type tones (Boosted Plexi, JCM800, JVM, Friedman, Hot Rodded 800 etc).
I know the Axe does clean tones really well and there are many to choose from. I also know it excels at really hi gain metal tones.

But mostly i'd like your opinion on the Marshall type 80's tones. Considering the Axe FX or AX8 route to minimise weight and have a more portable rig.
Please advise.

Thanks

If you know what you're doing, you will have no problem getting any type of Marshall tone you want out of the Axe FX or AX8.
-
Austin

Which is all to say: you'll have no problem with 80s Marshall tones. I don't even think you have to know what you're doing. :)

The Marshall sims in the Axe are fantastic. Great growl and punch and they clean up extremely well with the guitar volume knob, just like a Plexi or JCM 800 should. If I had to pick just one amp model to use in the Axe II it would probably be the JCM 800 model. Glassy cleans, punchy blues, growling classic rock overdrive, and ripping 80's lead tones when cranked. The Brit Brown model is extremely addictive for 80's Van Halen stuff too. It's got that great chewy variac'd thing going on.

Marshallesq models in the axe are MAD good! You will have no problem getting 80's marshall tones all day long.
I took a JCM800 model and threw an OD pedal in front of it, just like I do on my real JCM800 and the results were exactly the same. tone, feel, and playability.. Dead Nuts On!

And with the latest Q2 firmware, the Marshall types are even more better....the new Satriani is the shit.

Good to know; thinking of retiring my JVM410H/1960A cab for an Axe Fx 2/Matrix GT1000/NL212 rig.......
opinions on this rig ??
Cheers guys

Please advise.

Thanks

Asking questions like this on the manufacturer's forum invariably produce glowing, hyperbolic responses. While I usually try to avoid responding to questions like this, I'm compelled.

I'm a big fan of Marshall-esque tones and I've built plexi's and JTM45s along with numerous tweaks and circuit modifications. While I can't specifically comment on "80's" Marshall tones, I can say that my personal hand-built Marshalls are spending most of their time sitting because the Axe-Fx II has become so good, so adjustable that I can dial in better tones on my Axe-Fx than I can from my tweaked amps. IMO, the Axe excels at Marshall tones and especially, very sweet "edge of breakup" where you just tickle the amp in and out of distortion.

Just my opinion and worth every cent you paid for it;)

boogie

@nyne do some listening in the recording section of the forum.

The Fractal has many Marshall flavors in it from vintage to modern.

The realism is really something you have to experience.

You can take most of the Marshall amp models, add a typical 4x12 Cab block from the builtin selections, put a modded tube screamer drive block in front, and you have a giggable tone.

Good to know; thinking of retiring my JVM410H/1960A cab for an Axe Fx 2/Matrix GT1000/NL212 rig.......
opinions on this rig ??
Cheers guys
That's my exact setup, I can recommend it 100%. I retired my Bogner Shiva/G System/Marshall 4x12 rig a while ago with no regrets.

Btw..... Mark Day is the very reason i am even considering the Axe FX. His videos are awesome, his playing etc. :)

There are probably 100 or more Marshall type amps in the Axe Fx 2.
You will find many you like.

JTM45 for clean, Plexi 50W Hi / 50W 6550 / 100W High for crunch, Brit 800 for mid gain, Brit 800 Mod / AFD / JVM OD2 Red for high gain... and add the Friedman BE / HBE in as hot rodded Marshalls. They are all awesome, among my favourite models in the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom