Marshall Super Bass

rtcook

Experienced
Ok. This has been discussed somewhat before, but I still have a few questions. I am trying to replicate Malcolm Young's Marshall Super Bass. Took the 100W Super Lead Treble and changed the tone stack to the JTM45 tone stack and set the frequency to 750hz. Tried a few published knob settings and it doesn't sound bad at all with my G12-65 IR. I changed the treble cap from 5000pf to 500pf but I think it should just be eliminated. I am now wondering what the correct tubes I should use. EL34 or 6550? Also with all the advanced parameters, are there transformer settings that maybe should be changed on the 100W Super Lead model to better replicate a 100W Super Bass? Anybody have any suggestions for me to try? I'm not familiar with all these advanced settings.

Thanks.

Roger

Cliff,

This is where the info came from. Can you elaborate on this? Just curious. Thanks.

I'd think pretty close. My assumption is the tone stack setting selects the slope resistor not default treble cap. The slope resistor sets the width of the EQ scoop and the treble cap sets the center freq. Using this argument, setting a 100w plexi model with a jtm45 tone stack creats a 56k slope resistor with a 470p treble cap. Manually entering a freq of 750hz changes the cap to 250p. This is my assumption.

what I'd like to know is if the tone stack selection includes the CF driver bypass cap. E.g. CAE LD should be a 33k/220p with a 1.0u bypass cap on the CF driver.

Tone Stack Frequency frequency scales all the components of the tone stack. Don't touch it if all you want to do is change the tone stack to a JTM45.

At this point I'm really not sure of what I want/need. I don't really know what all needs changed or left alone in the 100W Super Lead to make it sound like a Super Bass as I don't know all the components. Just seems like with everything you have given us in the advanced settings it should be able to sound close since you did not actually model a Super Bass.

Thanks for your input on this!

What does the input filtering look like a super lead? Turning the input filters straight off on an AC30 basically takes it from lead to ferocious BASS land right quick. I just looked, there is no input filtering on an SLP, like at all. How in tf is that possible, I know from the way the JTM45 feels with preamp low cut on 200Hz, it's just input filtering that makes it more focused like that, taking it from 'bass' to 'lead' voicing. It's not like a super bass was 'stronger', it was just the bass guitar version, probably just input filtering difference...input filtering that's hard wired right now. Creator can we get a snip snip on that input cap?? :scissors:

In Super Lead, switch the tone stack to JTM 45, and reduced the brite cap to a value of 100 or less/off (that also reduces the gain and treble grind). That's damn close. Try EL 34 tubes, and others like 6550 and see what you like. Do the rest with the Tone Controls and you can go to Amp EQ for touch-ups.

Last edited:
Thanks AustinBuddy. Pretty much what I have set up now. Going to try different tubes. Preamp and power. Going to try the biasing as well. Was wondering if there were any transformer tweaks that would be worth trying?

Thanks AustinBuddy. Pretty much what I have set up now. Going to try different tubes. Preamp and power. Going to try the biasing as well. Was wondering if there were any transformer tweaks that would be worth trying?
Nah... but if u want, You can move the transformer match slightly lower instead of default and see if you like it.

Back
Top Bottom