Marshall Stamore or IK iLoud - bedroom FRFR

Adinfinitum

Experienced
This is for bedroom use only. I'm currently using a Yamaha THR-10 as the monitor for my MacBook (running every amp sim plugin there is through an Apollo Twin), as well as a Helix and Amplifire through the Aux input of another THR. Guitar runs through an FX8 and M-13 and a few stomps then into Radial switch boxes to switch between all of these input options. I also have an Amplfi that is a possibility as a speaker although it is underneath my desk and I'd prefer having something on the desktop. I don't want powered near-fields since there is not enough room on the desktop.

I just bought a Marshall Bluetooth speaker to compare to the THR and it sounded good (I got the Kilburn, but I may want the larger Stanmore). The THR aux input has some DSP to give it "space" while the Marshall is dry.

When I can get my hands on the AX8, it will take the place of the FX8 (which will go to its rightful place in my home studio).

I'd really like a good sounding monitor FRFR for my bedroom because I play there 90% of the time. Has anyone compared the IK iLoud to the Marshal Stanmore? The Marshall has an RCA as well as optical input which may allow me to run the AX8 directly in as opposed to using Aux splitters. Note - the optical may be for the Apollo, I have to research that, which would be killer flexibility. The Marshall also has tree/bass controls. But . . . . I also heard some good things about the iLoud, i.e., it sounds goods.

So, has anyone used either with an Axe-FX and can say which sounds better to them?

I haven't used either, so I guess this really isn't an answer to your question...

However, if you're going to spend two or three hundred dollars on a monitor, I'd urge you to investigate speakers that are actually designed as studio monitors. For the amount of money you intend to spend you can get something like a Yamaha HS5, which is a very nice studio monitor. For a bit more, you can buy an HS8.

Not that there's anything wrong with bluetooth utility speakers per se... I have a few in various sizes; they're very convenient for listening to music and a decent tool to use to evaluate how a recording will sound on the kind of gear that actual listeners might use. However, I'd assert that speakers in that market segment aren't necessarily a great match for the AFX. The bluetooth speakers tend to be tuned to "sound good", which normally involves hyping certain frequencies to make the speakers "stand out" when demoed in a store. Those hyped frequencies will influence how you EQ your patches and recordings; the result won't necessarily translate well to other speakers since you've compensated for your speakers' EQ curve.

True studio monitors, on the other hand, are generally designed to minimize deviation from flat response. There are exceptions, of course; monitor vendors -- particularly at the lower end of the market -- play the same kind of games with EQ to help sell speakers.

That said, the Yamahas have a good reputation, sound reasonably neutral (which is good), and have more than enough volume for you to play guitar through at home.

Although you'll end up paying more if you really need a stereo pair, I think you'll find it worthwhile in the long run to have quality gear.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting the Stanmore. It is not for critical licensing, recording or mixing, just noodling. For anything else, I would use my actual home studio. I just wanted something that sounded half way decent. I'm still interested in other user's experiences.

Back
Top Bottom